Either Jackashflash goes or I go.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2012, 06:32 PM
RE: Either Jackashflash goes or I go.
(08-05-2012 04:31 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I hardly know you germanyt, and I may not be in the position to comment but anyway.

I think you are acting like a child. You demand what you want, like a child demanding cookies. You don't get your cookies immediately so you go off crying and screaming in a tantrum because you didn't get your cookies. Along comes mommy (lucradis), and says that if you stop crying then you will get cookies later if you are a good boy.

That's basically what happened.
Taking it out of context maybe. It's not as dramatic as you describe.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2012, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 06:42 PM by Hughsie.)
(08-05-2012 06:28 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  My 13 y.o. daughter is looking over my shoulder reading all this, and says "this website looks like drama."

I am new here; for what it is worth I completely agree with germanyt. And it is not just because he has the word german in his name and my kids are 1/2 german. No, it is because allowing dissenting views is different than tolerating rude and hostile behavior. If anything, because the members are so passionate and the conversations so deep into people's core values, maintaining a respectful environment is critical. Otherwise good people will leave as the rude run amok. Is such drama what the thinking atheist is about?
Like it or not, sites like this are ambassadors for atheism. I'm not saying go pollyanna, just think about raising the bar for respect of others.

The main reason for drama here isn't people being disrespectful, it how the rest of us react.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've said that people should just ignore anyone they find disrespectful. We even have the ignore list simply for that purpose. That way if someone is being continually disrespectful then they will just fade away.

Instead people develop a pack mentality and go on the offensive, spamming that persons threads and any they post on with over the top criticisms (and they then blame them for the derailment) and even publicly creating threads about how much they hate that person and asking for them to be banned (which I personally think is out of order). All this just gives the person more attention, brings their posts to people who probably wouldn't have seen them and provokes them into firing back, making matters ten times worse. It also makes it less likely that the person will see the error of their ways, after all, most people react better to constructive criticism that all out attacks.
(08-05-2012 02:13 PM)germanyt Wrote:  And I wasn't threatening to leave. Like I told Luc, I wanted express how serious I felt about this.

Dude, don't start a thread titled 'Either Jackashflash goes or I go.' and then try and say you weren't threatening to leave.

If you weren't threatening to leave then you need to attend a course on clear communication.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
You don't think you have too much faith that people on the internet are who they say they are?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
08-05-2012, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 06:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-05-2012 02:13 PM)germanyt Wrote:  After briefly discussing this with Lucradis I'm postponing my departure.

Good. Thumbsup Who am I gonna talk testosterone and AAS with if you leave? Dunno why you let him get your panties in a bunch in the first place. Odds are he ain't some 16 yo punk anyways but just bored 30 yo dickhead who wants to fuck with atheists to see if he can get their panties in a bunch. Wink

(08-05-2012 02:13 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I do request that if you agree with my opinion of jack that you blackball him and perhaps he'll 'self deport'.

I agree with your opinion, brother, but I ain't gonna blackball him. I'll continue to correct and chastise him the same way I would any 16 yo punk acting like a prick whether he's really just a silly 16 yo prick or a 35 yo troll living in his mother's basement. Gives us a record to show any future 16 yo pricks. Wink

"The reality of external objects does not admit of strict proof. On the contrary, however, the reality of the object of our internal sense (of myself and state) is clear immediately through consciousness." - Kant
08-05-2012, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 06:46 PM by germanyt.)
(08-05-2012 06:38 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(08-05-2012 06:28 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  My 13 y.o. daughter is looking over my shoulder reading all this, and says "this website looks like drama."

I am new here; for what it is worth I completely agree with germanyt. And it is not just because he has the word german in his name and my kids are 1/2 german. No, it is because allowing dissenting views is different than tolerating rude and hostile behavior. If anything, because the members are so passionate and the conversations so deep into people's core values, maintaining a respectful environment is critical. Otherwise good people will leave as the rude run amok. Is such drama what the thinking atheist is about?
Like it or not, sites like this are ambassadors for atheism. I'm not saying go pollyanna, just think about raising the bar for respect of others.

The main reason for drama here isn't people being disrespectful, it how the rest of us react.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've said that people should just ignore anyone they find disrespectful. We even have the ignore list simply for that purpose. That way if someone is being continually disrespectful then they will just fade away.

Instead people develop a pack mentality and go on the offensive, spamming that persons threads and any they post on with over the top criticisms (and they then blame them for the derailment) and even publicly creating threads about how much they hate that person and asking for them to be banned (which I personally think is out of order). All this just gives the person more attention, brings their posts to people who probably wouldn't have seen them and provokes them into firing back, making matters ten times worse. It also makes it less likely that the person will see the error of their ways, after all, most people react better to constructive criticism that all out attacks.
(08-05-2012 02:13 PM)germanyt Wrote:  And I wasn't threatening to leave. Like I told Luc, I wanted express how serious I felt about this.

Dude, don't start a thread titled 'Either Jackashflash goes or I go.' and then try and say you weren't threatening to leave.

If you weren't threatening to leave then you need to attend a course on clear communication.
Oh I fully intended on leaving. I just wasn't using it as a threat. I'm content for the moment though.
(08-05-2012 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-05-2012 02:13 PM)germanyt Wrote:  After briefly discussing this with Lucradis I'm postponing my departure.

Good. Thumbsup Who am I gonna talk testosterone and AAS with if you leave? Dunno why you let him get your panties in a bunch in the first place. Odds are he ain't some 16 yo punk anyways but just bored 30 yo dickhead who wants to fuck with atheists to see if he can get their panties in a bunch. Wink
I have noticed a few trolls lately.

-Mark Twain
08-05-2012, 06:47 PM
(08-05-2012 06:44 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Oh I fully intended on leaving. I just wasn't using it as a threat. I'm content for the moment though.

Whether you intend it that way or not, telling someone "do this or I'm leaving" is a threat.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
08-05-2012, 06:50 PM
(08-05-2012 06:47 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(08-05-2012 06:44 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Oh I fully intended on leaving. I just wasn't using it as a threat. I'm content for the moment though.

Whether you intend it that way or not, telling someone "do this or I'm leaving" is a threat.
Well I didn't really demand anyone do anything. And I don't feel like arguing over context.

You seem offended.

-Mark Twain
08-05-2012, 06:57 PM
(08-05-2012 06:47 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

And now you're letting your panties get in a bunch, Englishman. Just let it go.

"The reality of external objects does not admit of strict proof. On the contrary, however, the reality of the object of our internal sense (of myself and state) is clear immediately through consciousness." - Kant
08-05-2012, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 07:04 PM by Hughsie.)
(08-05-2012 06:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Well I didn't really demand anyone do anything. And I don't feel like arguing over context.

You seem offended.

If I'm honest I think it's out of order to post a thread like this. It's a blatant call of arms and attempt to coerce Lucradis into a certain decision.

If you truly feel there are grounds to ban someone why not post a thread in the FMT section stating your case?
(08-05-2012 06:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And now you're letting your panties get in a bunch, Englishman. Just let it go.

To be honest Girly it's really starting to get to me.

I've always valued this place as a mature place where we act like adults, a real intellectual haven from the rest of the world. Recently it's not lived up to that. The pack mentality, hostility, and all out attacks towards anyone who puts a toe out of line are sickening and counter-productive.

It's starting to disillusion me a bit.

Surely there's something wrong when the kids at the school where I work can deal with disagreements better than this forum.

Best
Worst
08-05-2012, 07:09 PM
(08-05-2012 06:59 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(08-05-2012 06:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Well I didn't really demand anyone do anything. And I don't feel like arguing over context.

You seem offended.

If I'm honest I think it's out of order to post a thread like this. It's a blatant call of arms and attempt to coerce Lucradis into a certain decision.

If you truly feel there are grounds to ban someone why not post a thread in the FMT section stating your case?
(08-05-2012 06:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And now you're letting your panties get in a bunch, Englishman. Just let it go.

To be honest Girly it's really starting to get to me.

I've always valued this place as a mature place where we act like adults, a real intellectual haven from the rest of the world. Recently it's not lived up to that. The pack mentality, hostility, and all out attacks towards anyone who puts a toe out of line are sickening and counter-productive.

It's starting to disillusion me a bit.

Surely there's something wrong when the kids at the school where I work can deal with disagreements better than this forum

Not everyone can view the FMT forum.

-Mark Twain