Elder Scrolls Online

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Elder Scrolls Online
It's currently in beta. I was participating in the beta weekend on Friday and Saturday. I had also participated in another such event earlier.

Overall I'm unimpressed. But, I'm not sure if that's the game, the fact that I'm jaded by having played MMO's since 1998, or both.

I may actually be done with the genre. The last hour or so playing ESO I realized all it did was make me want to play Skyrim, a far superior game with more atmosphere, better voice acting (and if you know Skyrim you know that's saying something) and a richer story.

Many people may say, as I've said before, that it's an MMO and we shouldn't expect it to to compare to a single player RPG like Skyrim. But now I find myself asking "why not?" Do we really need yet another MMO just for the sake of having one? Does the Elder Scrolls series really need this kind of treatment?

As I played it I realized how formulaic the MMO spectrum has become. Everything is just too familiar. The only innovations the developers seem to offer us is yet a new way to still be playing an MMO. Aren't we do a with this idea yet? Aren't we ready to move on now? I know I am.

After my first experience playing ESO I was looking forward to playing on release. Now I can pretty much guarantee I won't be joining at all. And it's not that my experience this weekend was much different than the last event. I just had more time to play it and come to my senses.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
13-01-2014, 08:22 PM
RE: Elder Scrolls Online
As I said in Vosur's thread, it's most likely gonna be like Star Wars online, Warhammer Online, Dungeon and Dragons online, Lord of the Rings online. All fantastic themes and have huge potential for awesomeness, but all executed so so so poorly.

The companies that made these games are parasites. They're all the same cookie cutter trash.

I didn't have any expectations that Elder Scrolls online was going to be any different.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
13-01-2014, 08:34 PM
(13-01-2014 08:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  As I said in Vosur's thread, it's most likely gonna be like Star Wars online, Warhammer Online, Dungeon and Dragons online, Lord of the Rings online. All fantastic themes and have huge potential for awesomeness, but all executed so so so poorly.

The companies that made these games are parasites. They're all the same cookie cutter trash.

I didn't have any expectations that Elder Scrolls online was going to be any different.

Star Wars the Old Republic was good, until you got to end game and finished everything. Oh and the fact that end game was just a retarded amount of daily quests (3+ fucking hours a day) but they had the best leveling experience in any MMO it was on par with a single player game. The fact that each class got it's own story (4 per side) and dungeons had cut scenes and actual stories in them.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-01-2014, 08:48 PM
(13-01-2014 08:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  As I said in Vosur's thread, it's most likely gonna be like Star Wars online, Warhammer Online, Dungeon and Dragons online, Lord of the Rings online. All fantastic themes and have huge potential for awesomeness, but all executed so so so poorly.

DDO was the only MMO that I played for more than two months. That game had a lot of potential but instead of making it better Turbine slowly made it worse. I played it for years but quit shortly after Warner Brothers bought Turbine after that it started to go to shit real quick. One of the good things that DDO has going for them is the fact that you can A. Pay a monthly fee and have access to all content or B. Purchase the content you want for a fee depending on the content. I still hope that Turbine will pull their heads out of their asses but my occasional trips to the DDO forums to check on things have proved fruitless. I had high hopes for ESO but wasn't impressed during the Beta weekend. Other than ESO there was only one other MMO coming out that I have hopes for this year.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
14-01-2014, 05:08 AM
I was looking forward to get a chance to try ESO (I don't have a key or smth yet) however I'm already disappointed by the reviews/comments.

MMORPGs are mostly killed by MOBA games lately also shitty games released under great titles.

I'd really love to play a good MMORPG these days but I can't find anything worth to play. I think i'll just stick with League of Legends forever. (It's been 4 years of LoL for me now)
14-01-2014, 05:28 AM
(14-01-2014 05:08 AM)Cheesus christ Wrote:  I was looking forward to get a chance to try ESO (I don't have a key or smth yet) however I'm already disappointed by the reviews/comments.

MMORPGs are mostly killed by MOBA games lately also shitty games released under great titles.

I'd really love to play a good MMORPG these days but I can't find anything worth to play. I think i'll just stick with League of Legends forever. (It's been 4 years of LoL for me now)

I feel the same way, really. I can't see another MMORPG ever doing as well as WoW, and that seems to be what these companies are striving to make, while failing spectacularly. Especially considering Bethesda is working off a subscription model for ESO, it just isn't going end well for them. They absolutely HAD to make a game that blew WoW out of the water in both sum and quality of content in order to appeal to that market again. Judging by current reviews and whispers, they've fallen short of that by a very large distance.

I'm excited to see the MOBA genre get bigger, with Heroes of the Storm coming from Blizzard, and DOTA 2 and LOL already huge in the market, I think there will be plenty to play for some time, and for completely FREE (minus the cost of hardware).

I'm also excited to see the MMOFPSRPG come into it's own. Destiny looks absolutely amazing and I'm watching for news about The Division as well as hoping for something like Destiny for Fallout 4. The Fallout universe just feels like it's screaming to be made into an MMOFPSRPG to me, but I might be alone there.

Regardless, I'm not excited for ESO anymore, and I really fear it may be flop.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
14-01-2014, 06:47 AM
(13-01-2014 03:44 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  The last hour or so playing ESO I realized all it did was make me want to play Skyrim, a far superior game with more atmosphere, better voice acting (and if you know Skyrim you know that's saying something) and a richer story.
So. fucking. true.

It's embarrassing that they want to charge over $13 every month for this.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-01-2014, 09:18 AM
(14-01-2014 06:47 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 03:44 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  The last hour or so playing ESO I realized all it did was make me want to play Skyrim, a far superior game with more atmosphere, better voice acting (and if you know Skyrim you know that's saying something) and a richer story.
So. fucking. true.

It's embarrassing that they want to charge over $13 every month for this.

lolwut?!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
14-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Elder Scrolls Online
(14-01-2014 05:28 AM)Anudist Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 05:08 AM)Cheesus christ Wrote:  I was looking forward to get a chance to try ESO (I don't have a key or smth yet) however I'm already disappointed by the reviews/comments.

I feel the same way, really. I can't see another MMORPG ever doing as well as WoW, and that seems to be what these companies are striving to make, while failing spectacularly. Especially considering Bethesda is working off a subscription model for ESO, it just isn't going end well for them. They absolutely HAD to make a game that blew WoW out of the water in both sum and quality of content in order to appeal to that market again. Judging by current reviews and whispers, they've fallen short of that by a very large distance.

I'm excited to see the MOBA genre get bigger, with Heroes of the Storm coming from Blizzard, and DOTA 2 and LOL already huge in the market, I think there will be plenty to play for some time, and for completely FREE (minus the cost of hardware).

I'm also excited to see the MMOFPSRPG come into it's own. Destiny looks absolutely amazing and I'm watching for news about The Division as well as hoping for something like Destiny for Fallout 4. The Fallout universe just feels like it's screaming to be made into an MMOFPSRPG to me, but I might be alone there.

Regardless, I'm not excited for ESO anymore, and I really fear it may be flop.

Hell no! Not my Fallout series! I think I'm done with MMOs for now and the last thing I want to see is another RPG turned into another MMO.

Just stop already, people!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
14-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Lol @ Fallout as an MMO...

Its supposed to feel desolate and full of untold stories. It would be completely ruined with thousands of people walking around yelling "STFU Noob" and "Selling party hats" etc. People completely destroy that sense that you are somehow unique in the story.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post