Election Fever!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2015 04:26 PM by DLJ.)
Election Fever!
I mean really! Why drag it out so long?

All those rallies ... 24/7 tedious, repetitive speeches ... hours and hours of electioneering and TV campaigns!

Jeez.

The tax payers really deserve ... No wait! It's over already.

General Election ------- Nomination Day ------- Polling Day
--------2015 ----------------- 01/09/15 ------------- 11/09/15

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-09-2015, 04:52 PM
RE: Election Fever!
Saw this on the news.
Was not surprised by the results.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-09-2015, 08:01 PM
No one was surprised.

[Image: COobTu6UYAAf9Jr.jpg]

Original:
[Image: 524c7ff26948cb63a34c05786fbab99e.jpg]

And yet... the opposition rallies were well attended.

[Image: COoogSlUEAA6L6_.jpg]

I guess it shows that people still want to engage in the process even though they're still going to vote for a meritocracy.

Incidentally, at last week's SG Philo Group Meetup, the subject was about Meritocracy vs. Democracy.

I had a bit of a chuckle at the Wikipedia entry:

Modern meritocratic states
  1. Singapore
  2. Equador

Ecuador's description was entirely this:
Quote:Ecuador Dependency of the Ministry of Labour, the Ecuadorian Meritocracy Institute[38] was created under the technical advice of Singapore government.

At the end of the meetup we took a vote.

... took a vote Laughat

14-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Quote:I guess it shows that people still want to engage in the process even though they're still going to vote for a meritocracy.

Well it is politics and people are never gonna agree on everything so it's only natural for there to be opposition even in such a 1 sided system as Singapore's. It's good though because it shows that while Singapore is effectively a democratically elected dictatorship (not that there is anything wrong with that) democracy hasn't just been abandoned and people are still willing to engage. Keeps the ruling party on their toes.

I don't think I understand this "meritocracy v democracy' though. The democracy is in regards to the public voting for a ruling party and the meritocracy is in regards to how a party selects its members. I don't see why we can't have both. And besides, given the success of Singapore I think more countries could venture to model themselves on Singapore's model. Putting people into position based on their education and achievements is a far better way than popular vote.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-09-2015, 08:23 PM
(14-09-2015 08:11 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
I don't think I understand this "meritocracy v democracy' though. The democracy is in regards to the public voting for a ruling party and the meritocracy is in regards to how a party selects its members. I don't see why we can't have both. And besides, given the success of Singapore I think more countries could venture to model themselves on Singapore's model. Putting people into position based on their education and achievements is a far better way than popular vote.

Well, OK, I was paraphrasing.

The discussion topic was ... Are Meritocracy and Democracy Fully Compatible?

In the vote at the end, "If you can't have both, which of the two systems would you prefer?", the pro-dems had more votes but the pro-merits won because we had all the really smart people on our side.

Big Grin

15-09-2015, 05:11 AM
It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Douglas Adams

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-09-2015, 09:17 AM
(14-09-2015 08:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 08:11 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...

Well, OK, I was paraphrasing.

The discussion topic was ... Are Meritocracy and Democracy Fully Compatible?

In the vote at the end, "If you can't have both, which of the two systems would you prefer?", the pro-dems had more votes but the pro-merits won because we had all the really smart people on our side.

Big Grin

Of course the pro-dems won people are idiots. If it's based on merit than only the very best can get the jobs and people don't like this idea that someone is better than them at something or/and that you need to work hard to achieve something.

Much better just to say a bunch of hollow lines and say what the people wanna hear in order to "achieve" something.

Democracy is not this holy grail everyone makes it out to be. It is deeply flawed just like any political system. At least when you promote people based on their merit you eliminate one of the flaws democracy has in that any idiot can get voted into power.

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
15-09-2015, 09:33 AM
(15-09-2015 09:17 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
Much better just to say a bunch of hollow lines and say what the people wanna hear in order to "achieve" something.
any idiot can get voted into power.

Are you having a go at our Murikan friends again?

Ohmy

15-09-2015, 09:36 AM
(15-09-2015 09:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 09:17 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
any idiot can get voted into power.

Are you having a go at our Murikan friends again?

Ohmy

Voting in idiots ---

WE'RE #1....

(leading the world in stupid leadership since 1877)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-09-2015, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2015 09:57 AM by kim.)
Duplicate post.

Oops

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein