Election and gun prices

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2016, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2016 01:01 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Election and gun prices
(05-11-2016 12:29 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 10:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Fear is a terrible epistemology.

Not quite so. More accurately stated it would be that fear is a terrible foundation on which to base your epistemology.

Fear itself is quite useful. In fact our evolution depends on it.

Did depend on it. But it also made us prone to false-positive mistakes, something now we desperately try to correct. Fear motivated reasoning is never the best reasoning, and very often is probably the worst. I don't want to live my life making concessions to fear. Its an idea that many of my fellow citizens seem to have forgotten, most especially the ones that unironically self identify as 'patriots'.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2016, 01:08 AM
(05-11-2016 12:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Did depend on it. But it also made us prone to false-positive mistakes, something now we desperately try to correct. Fear motivated reasoning is never the best reasoning, and very often is probably the worst. I don't want to live my life making concessions to fear. Its an idea that many of my fellow citizens seem to have forgotten, most especially the ones that unironically self identify as 'patriots'.

Agreed.

"I don't want to live my life making concessions to fear "

That's a fear. And a good one.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
05-11-2016, 01:46 AM
(05-11-2016 01:08 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(05-11-2016 12:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Did depend on it. But it also made us prone to false-positive mistakes, something now we desperately try to correct. Fear motivated reasoning is never the best reasoning, and very often is probably the worst. I don't want to live my life making concessions to fear. Its an idea that many of my fellow citizens seem to have forgotten, most especially the ones that unironically self identify as 'patriots'.

Agreed.

"I don't want to live my life making concessions to fear "

That's a fear. And a good one.

I think relabeling a desire as a fear is a bit too reductionist for my taste.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
05-11-2016, 07:08 AM
Tell somebody they can't possess something - and they'll lust for it.

It's ironic -- the best gun salesmen ever - were Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama. Clinton for passing the "assault weapon ban" -- and people's assumption that Obama would repeat the mistake. (I figured he wouldn't -- he's a sharp politician --- so I voted for him rather than having to suffer with the weirdo in magical underwear)....

When people have the perception that things are no longer going to be available - they quickly buy up whatever remains.

Enough people think that a ( D ) president will try to ban guns - that when one becomes elected - regardless of the person's personal take on gun rights - an upward spiral of gun sales begins. People start buying - and continue buying - even as the prices increase to ridiculous levels.

If Hillary Clinton gets elected -- I expect to see record sales, at record prices.

The ultimate irony --- IF Hillary REALLY wanted to cut down the number of guns on the street -- the BEST thing she could do is drop out of the race and concede to the ( R ) side.

Think about that for a minute.

It's unassailable -- it's a fact --- IF she gets elected -- gun sales WILL go up....

If more guns equals more violence --- then if you vote for Hillary, you're in favor of crime and death.

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-11-2016, 10:00 AM
(05-11-2016 01:46 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I think relabeling a desire as a fear is a bit too reductionist for my taste.

Fair enough.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
05-11-2016, 02:38 PM
(05-11-2016 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Enough people think that a ( D ) president will try to ban guns -

Now that you mention it, I recall gun sales went up during the Carter administration. My neighbor had more than 50 guns in his closet in the late 70's.

There was also a big prepper movement then, though they were called survivalists. Enough food rotted in people's basements to feed Ethiopia. I remember people with three chest freezers in their garage. Deer poaching was a real problem.

I think the biggest farce was the gasohol movement. We've definitely come full circle on that one.
05-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Yup... Alcohol as a fuel was actually just a subsidy to farmers -- getting them to grow more corn.......

You always need to pay attention to who is footing the payroll.....

I have to wonder if a bunch of Clinton's big money contributors are involved in weapons manufacture/sale..............

After all -- a president can't really do anything to stop gun sales -- such restrictions really need Congress to get on board -- which they're unlikely to do.....

However -- a perceived "gun grabber" president will spur sales to record levels -- at record prices.

The manufactures would be STUPID not to endorse and payroll Clinton (quietly)...

It's good for business....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-11-2016, 03:23 PM
(05-11-2016 03:11 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The manufactures would be STUPID not to endorse and payroll Clinton (quietly)...

I am not politically astute enough to remember when campaign finance disclosure went away, but I do remember seeing the numbers before its demise. Most of the major contributors gave to both sides in roughly equal proportions. So your premise makes sense.
05-11-2016, 04:08 PM
(05-11-2016 03:23 PM)Warts And All Wrote:  
(05-11-2016 03:11 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The manufactures would be STUPID not to endorse and payroll Clinton (quietly)...

I am not politically astute enough to remember when campaign finance disclosure went away, but I do remember seeing the numbers before its demise. Most of the major contributors gave to both sides in roughly equal proportions. So your premise makes sense.

They very often still do. I'm on my phone right now and can't fetch the links, but there are a couple of sites that track corporate donations, and large private donors iirc.
05-11-2016, 04:30 PM
(04-11-2016 07:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 06:04 PM)Warts And All Wrote:  ...
EDIT: I put this into the Casual Coffeehouse hoping it would be tongue-in-cheek. If it turns political I hope the Mods will move or remove it.

If? Dodgy

Don't worry, that never happens. OPs that mention guns in the US never turn political.

Drinking Beverage

I thought all the political threads were already tongue-in-cheek. No?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post