Electrician anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Electrician anyone?
Is there an electrician in tha house?

I need a few things to discuss about my old-school house installations, the electrical ones, so if there is someone who understands a few things about electricity, grounding, nullifying, the lack of grounding, surge protection, A/C cleaning and stabilizing, I would be grateful if you were to step up. I need to ask a few things.

Thank you.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2013, 12:46 PM
RE: Electrician anyone?
I'm no electrician, but I know a few things about electricity and electrical engineering.

What's your question?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
10-02-2013, 08:45 AM
I live in a building from 1956. and the word "grounding" was not in their vocabulary back in those days. I have a problem with grounding, my sockets are the old ones, without grounding. My question was about nullifying the ground, or connecting the ground to the null cable. Later, I have discovered some socket that actually do have a third wire and it looks like it is a ground one.

So, let's go hypothetically now, because I will use the socket I found, but if I could not, do you know a thing or two about how to ground a socket, that has no ground wire? Of course, without redecorating the whole house and spending the money I don't have.

The old-school ceramic safety fuses have been changed and they are normal, automatic ones now, but there is no RCD switch.

-Hunter S. Thompson
10-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Connecting ground to null was common for a while. It's not as safe as having a separate null cable but it works most of the time.
10-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Hire a ceritfied electrician to wire your house with a dedicated ground bus at the load center (circuit breaker panel) attached to a grounding rod or water main going into your house. This could cost some bucks, but its the safest option.

It used to be you could wire the ground prong on an outlet parallel to the neutral (WARNING! THIS IS DONE FOR 120 VAC HOUSEHOLD CIRCUIT ONLY! DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH A 240VAC HOUSEHOLD CIRCUIT!). However this practice has been discontinued and is no longer acceptable under the National Electrical Code. The reasons for this is a nearby short can flood the neutral with a dangerous voltage. This in turn can energize the ground prong on nearby appliances connected to this outlet, creating a shock hazard if they are handled.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
11-02-2013, 03:19 AM
Ah yes, the money and works... I live in a rented apartment and I have no intention in redecoration someone else's house. Also, to change the wires would mean to break every wall in the house and puling new installation all over the place. That is just not an option.

Now, here is a bit more detail what I need...

I need to have ONE good socket for my computer and hi-fi amp. I already have a state of the art STRAAD Condicio 2.5, so having no ground here, just makes me ... look stupid. Smile

This is STRAAD Condicio. http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/condicio2_5_e.html

As you can see from the description, this is a state of the art A/C cleaner/stabilizer for high-end equipment. So I already am pretty well protected, but my problem is I payed a lot of money for this Condicio and it can not work with 100% efficiency if the installations are not in order.

But as I was saying, this part is only hypothetical now, I will be using one socket from the bathroom, that has a ground inside, so I will pull some cables from that point to my room and then to the other room. I am just curious about this nullifying and grounding.

P.S.
About 2/3 of my town have nullified installations, instead of normal grounded ones, so this is VERY common practice here. Hack, it's a bitch to find a normal building. Because of this fact, our electrical infrastructure is made in a way so that null can withstand a grounding, the null has been grounded, for this reason. Big Grin

Hmmmm.... I was wondering, how can I check if the ground is actually grounded? Any hardware that checks it out?

-Hunter S. Thompson
11-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Electrician anyone?
I am a 15 year Journeyman electrician. I also have quite a bit of training in design and install of high end home theater and audio distribution systems. Grounding issues as they relate to audio, video and high tech equipment are pretty familiar to me. I am at your service.
[+] 1 user Likes Tanus Barbarus's post
12-02-2013, 12:12 PM
The Lord Himself has send you.
Smile

So, you can read about the basics of my problem, so do you have any advice? Would nullifying sockets have any positive effect? Or does a thing like Condicio remove the need to pay attention to those details?

-Hunter S. Thompson
13-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Electrician anyone?
When I get to a computer this afternoon, I will give you my thoughts.
21-02-2013, 03:45 PM
So, any thoughts?

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson