Electronic boarding passes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Electronic boarding passes?
I've never had a smartphone (I like my stupidphone) but I've seen people show their phone at the boarding gate at airports instead of a paper boarding pass.

I just got a new iPod Touch (I use it mostly for music and podcasts) and it has the Passbook app, which is capable of downloading airline boarding passes (assuming the airline offers that, and I think all the main ones do).

I'm wondering how that works at the security line. When I show my boarding pass at the security line, the TSA officer studies it and my ID, and then makes a mark on the boarding pass.

What happens when people have their boarding pass on their phone? (Or their iPod.) Does the officer just skip the bit about marking the paper? Or do they still have something on paper to show the TSA? I've never really paid attention at that point.

Just curious, and wondering about doing the boarding pass on my iPod next time I fly. I always have it with me at that point because I listen to music on the plane.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2015, 07:10 PM
RE: Electronic boarding passes?
Amtrak does it too. They always scanned my phone when I showed it to them.
12-05-2015, 08:03 PM
(12-05-2015 07:06 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  I've never had a smartphone (I like my stupidphone) but I've seen people show their phone at the boarding gate at airports instead of a paper boarding pass.

I just got a new iPod Touch (I use it mostly for music and podcasts) and it has the Passbook app, which is capable of downloading airline boarding passes (assuming the airline offers that, and I think all the main ones do).

I'm wondering how that works at the security line. When I show my boarding pass at the security line, the TSA officer studies it and my ID, and then makes a mark on the boarding pass.

What happens when people have their boarding pass on their phone? (Or their iPod.) Does the officer just skip the bit about marking the paper? Or do they still have something on paper to show the TSA? I've never really paid attention at that point.

Just curious, and wondering about doing the boarding pass on my iPod next time I fly. I always have it with me at that point because I listen to music on the plane.

They just pass the phone over a reader.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-05-2015, 08:33 PM
My caveman (coughs) husband refuses to use his smartphone.

He prints them off the computer when we travel. I think the phone would be easier. I'm not prone to misplacing that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Quote:I've never had a smartphone (I like my stupidphone)

woo! *high five*

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
12-05-2015, 10:15 PM
(12-05-2015 09:54 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

woo! *high five*

*mumbles* old people...
12-05-2015, 10:26 PM
(12-05-2015 09:54 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

woo! *high five*

Right??? *group high five* (we really need a high five smiley!)

I just recently bought a new flip phone Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
13-05-2015, 06:18 AM
I still print my boarding pass when I reach the airport Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-05-2015, 08:26 AM
The screen on a regular smartphone is too small to be useful for anything since I had cataract surgery (amazing procedure!) and a "phablet" is too big to comfortably talk on. My stupidphone makes phone calls and does it just fine. My iPad serves me well as a travel computer. And the new iPod Touch (which replaces my ancient one that I stupidly lost -- I know exactly where it is, but the cost of retrieving it would have been almost as much as getting a new one) provides me with music, podcasts, and audio books wherever I happen to be. And now, perhaps, boarding passes.

I've always printed my boarding passes at home before travel. But for the return trip, I end up having to get my boarding pass at the airport. Maybe now I'll be able to get my boarding pass on the iPod even for the return trip.

I may be an old foggy, but I love gadgets. I just don't need or want a smartphone. When one gadget does everything, then one gadget on the fritz or broken or lost means you can do nothing.

It's raining here. I like the rain as long as I don't have to go out in it.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines