Elks Lodge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Elks Lodge
So I had been told that the local Elks Lodge had a decent gym and access was only $20 per month, which is much cheaper than other gyms in town. So I decided to investigate. I noticed the mission statement mentioned a belief in god so I asked. This is the response I got. I know I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote:Membership requirements of the Order of Elks are not and were never intended to be discriminatory against any person, group or nationality. When members are limited to citizens, to adults, we intend no offense to non-citizens or minors. When we require an applicant to be of sound mind and of good character, we do not condemn the unfortunate. When we choose not to associate with subversives, this is an exercise of the right of association known to all Americans as “the right to choose.” We extend our charity to all; we harbor malice toward none.
Other fraternal and kindred groups have similar rights to fix requirements for mem­bership. We cannot, and do not, complain because we cannot join fraternal or other groups limited to those of Protestant, Catholic or Jewish faiths as the case may be; or, be­cause we cannot join an association limited to those of German, Scandinavian, African- American, Chinese, Scottish, Irish, English, or Japanese ancestry, or, because some of us cannot join a labor union, an educators’ group, a veterans’ organization, or the neighborhood bridge club. Our membership requirements are proper and lawful. When Americans lose this right of free choice of association, they will have lost much of their freedom.

And my response to that was this....

Quote:Yes, this is your legal right. However, I wouldn't want to be part of an organization that took until the 1970's to allow black members and the 1990's to allow woman. Or an organization that decides a person's worthiness based on whether they believe in god. Its a shame because in a small town like the one I live there are few organizations like yours. I would have loved to become part of your organization and help to better the community. But I would not want to be part of an organization with your racist and discriminatory past. But hey, that is your legal right, correct? That must make you feel a little better.

Really I just wanted use them for the gym but I found the response interesting. But I guess that is their right, correct?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2014, 01:17 PM
RE: Elks Lodge
I suppose they had the ability to put that up as a marker, yes.

But eh, that's how I've always viewed Elks Club Lodges from my experiences of them and my grandfather being in one. Mainly a club for old men to smoke, play poker and sit in a sweat lodge/gym. Maybe that's not so bad a place.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
27-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Many years ago, I was going to join a Masonic Lodge ['cause that's where the Illuminati do their recruitingYes] but they require one to profess belief in God.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-10-2014, 04:01 PM
(27-10-2014 12:58 PM)riseinside Wrote:  Really I just wanted use them for the gym but I found the response interesting. But I guess that is their right, correct?

Yup. A private club not open to the general public is not subject to federal anti-discrimination laws. I used to be a member of the Moose Lodge (they had the cheapest price on pitchers of beer) and as long as they are not open to the general public they can limit membership however they want.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
27-10-2014, 04:43 PM
(27-10-2014 04:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-10-2014 12:58 PM)riseinside Wrote:  Really I just wanted use them for the gym but I found the response interesting. But I guess that is their right, correct?

Yup. A private club not open to the general public is not subject to federal anti-discrimination laws. I used to be a member of the Moose Lodge (they had the cheapest price on pitchers of beer) and as long as they are not open to the general public they can limit membership however they want.

I figured as much. It just strikes me as odd that there would have to be an anti discrimination law in the first place.

I never did get an answer on whether there was a specific god or if any god would do. Belief in god is very vague. What if I see myself as god? Or Carl Sagan....