Elusively looking for God, spirituality and enlightenment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2016, 04:53 PM
RE: Elusively looking for God, spirituality and enlightenment
Jean-Luc Ponty was captured by the Borg??? Sad

Hello.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-06-2016, 05:02 PM
(05-06-2016 04:53 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:34 PM)Dramamask Wrote:  I didn't really 'find' atheism, but rather debunked all the crap in my mind, whether inherited from others or planted in my brain by myself with 'other-wordly' ideas.

How do you intend to look , anything outside/beyond the boundaries Smile . Spirituality, includes the word "spirit" for a reason. Neurosciences have advanced enough to Wire a person who claims godly experience , then map the areas lit in the brain and call them reasons for the effect , and no one from other side has proven that that the effect is due to a reason.

Proof =god.

Yes, apparently we can't go beyond our own mind and senses. We're all trapped in our own solipsism (another 'ism' Haha!), until whoever creates some kind of device where we can all plug into each others' minds.

Been getting more into the neuroscience stuff recently and have seen some documentaries on what you mention and with measuring brain activity with people meditating also. Very interesting stuff and am very interested with what Sam Harris says about all that stuff.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2016, 05:03 PM
(05-06-2016 04:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Jean-Luc Ponty was captured by the Borg??? Sad

Hello.

I had to Google him to find out who he is. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Dramamask's post
05-06-2016, 05:09 PM
(05-06-2016 05:02 PM)Dramamask Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:53 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  How do you intend to look , anything outside/beyond the boundaries Smile . Spirituality, includes the word "spirit" for a reason. Neurosciences have advanced enough to Wire a person who claims godly experience , then map the areas lit in the brain and call them reasons for the effect , and no one from other side has proven that that the effect is due to a reason.

Proof =god.

Yes, apparently we can't go beyond our own mind and senses. We're all trapped in our own solipsism (another 'ism' Haha!), until whoever creates some kind of device where we can all plug into each others' minds.

Been getting more into the neuroscience stuff recently and have seen some documentaries on what you mention and with measuring brain activity with people meditating also. Very interesting stuff and am very interested with what Sam Harris says about all that stuff.

Big fan of Sam Harris and Hitchens myself Smile , and a few others from the other side less popular but equally convincing. Regardless of who's who , best judge is you.

All i know is what was told,
All i think is what i know,
All i am is what i think,
All i know NOT is who I Am.
05-06-2016, 05:14 PM
(05-06-2016 05:09 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  [quote='Dramamask' pid='1007924' dateline='1465167721']

Big fan of Sam Harris and Hitchens myself Smile , and a few others from the other side less popular but equally convincing. Regardless of who's who , best judge is you.

Love Christopher Hitchens and wish I had some of his communication skills. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Dramamask's post
05-06-2016, 05:23 PM
[/quote]

Love Christopher Hitchens and wish I had some of his communication skills. Smile
[/quote]

Cool Big Grin , if you're wondering why i excluded Dawkins , coz of this vid. (read comments , even his supporters felt that he pushed it too far, and in his documentary he took excerpts to fit his verdict.

06-06-2016, 01:40 AM
(05-06-2016 04:16 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  The title is befit , it was atheism all along that you were looking for.
The need to shut open cases with absolute answers , is hardly a quest for seeking something which is obviously unproven, badly tarnished and easily debunked by simply asking for proof.
Although i admire that you didn't resign sooner than most do. However the conclusion was obvious , because Spirituality is not an open and shut case.
Anyway , with all your transitioning through all the "ism's" , Atheism is an easy way to go , just keep asking for proof and pass all the burden of proof unto the " dodgy sales-people" = Freedom / Ego boost.
If someone tries hard to prove , must have some hidden agenda or vested interest , or may even be deluded into thinking that he does it for divine merit.
Of all the "ism's" Atheism is a great place to call home , its safe Smile , you lose no more time in seeking answers to something that doesn't exist for you.

Are you actually a dickweed, or just pretending to be one? I don't want to write you off as a simple troll, just yet, but you really hit most of the buttons. I think you're a Poe-- a religious nutjob whose rhetoric is indistinguishable from a person deliberately trying to be an asshole on a forum.

He clearly stated that he searched through his own religious ideologies and found them wanting, as many of us did. I did the same... I had no idea what atheism was, really, at the time, and I certainly wasn't "searching for it". It took me five years of seeking for some other spiritual enlightenment before I realized that all humans were just making up all of the religions, and I finally was able to claim the title of atheist. Looking back, I'm very proud of the accomplishment of freeing my mind from the chains that my culture/upbringing placed upon it, and I pity you that you haven't done so.

If your assertion about "safe" had any merit, then atheism would be a popular decision: we'd face no repercussions from our families and social circles for coming out as atheists, we'd be easily electable into public office, we'd be secure in our jobs once people found out we're atheists, and we'd never have to incessantly be cornered into answering basic science questions that the religious nuts of the world (who, by the way, are the ones who prefer the predigested magical stories about how nature works, not us) just can't seem to grasp. Yes, it's very "safe" in atheism. You ass.

I'm sure you'll get all butt-hurt and play the martyr over my disrespectful comments, but I don't care after that slanderous and passive-aggressive comment of yours.

We demand proof of extraordinary claims because that's what rational people do (Those who have not blown their own brains out with the "just shut your mind off and belieeeeve" programming of the religious culture.) We study all religions, as he has done, and compare the similar natures of their mythologies and theologies, not only to disprove them, but to understand what it is about human psychology that makes so many of our fellow humans fall into those thought-traps.

You are just as much of an atheist as the rest of us... we just reject every god-story out there, and you reject all of them but one.

But please, keep deriding a person who clawed his way to knowledge. It makes you look like a fantastic example of why he should have left your cult in the first place.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-06-2016, 02:35 AM
(06-06-2016 01:40 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:16 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  The title is befit , it was atheism all along that you were looking for.
The need to shut open cases with absolute answers , is hardly a quest for seeking something which is obviously unproven, badly tarnished and easily debunked by simply asking for proof.
Although i admire that you didn't resign sooner than most do. However the conclusion was obvious , because Spirituality is not an open and shut case.
Anyway , with all your transitioning through all the "ism's" , Atheism is an easy way to go , just keep asking for proof and pass all the burden of proof unto the " dodgy sales-people" = Freedom / Ego boost.
If someone tries hard to prove , must have some hidden agenda or vested interest , or may even be deluded into thinking that he does it for divine merit.
Of all the "ism's" Atheism is a great place to call home , its safe Smile , you lose no more time in seeking answers to something that doesn't exist for you.

Are you actually a dickweed, or just pretending to be one? I don't want to write you off as a simple troll, just yet, but you really hit most of the buttons. I think you're a Poe-- a religious nutjob whose rhetoric is indistinguishable from a person deliberately trying to be an asshole on a forum.

He clearly stated that he searched through his own religious ideologies and found them wanting, as many of us did. I did the same... I had no idea what atheism was, really, at the time, and I certainly wasn't "searching for it". It took me five years of seeking for some other spiritual enlightenment before I realized that all humans were just making up all of the religions, and I finally was able to claim the title of atheist. Looking back, I'm very proud of the accomplishment of freeing my mind from the chains that my culture/upbringing placed upon it, and I pity you that you haven't done so.

If your assertion about "safe" had any merit, then atheism would be a popular decision: we'd face no repercussions from our families and social circles for coming out as atheists, we'd be easily electable into public office, we'd be secure in our jobs once people found out we're atheists, and we'd never have to incessantly be cornered into answering basic science questions that the religious nuts of the world (who, by the way, are the ones who prefer the predigested magical stories about how nature works, not us) just can't seem to grasp. Yes, it's very "safe" in atheism. You ass.

I'm sure you'll get all butt-hurt and play the martyr over my disrespectful comments, but I don't care after that slanderous and passive-aggressive comment of yours.

We demand proof of extraordinary claims because that's what rational people do (Those who have not blown their own brains out with the "just shut your mind off and belieeeeve" programming of the religious culture.) We study all religions, as he has done, and compare the similar natures of their mythologies and theologies, not only to disprove them, but to understand what it is about human psychology that makes so many of our fellow humans fall into those thought-traps.

You are just as much of an atheist as the rest of us... we just reject every god-story out there, and you reject all of them but one.

But please, keep deriding a person who clawed his way to knowledge. It makes you look like a fantastic example of why he should have left your cult in the first place.

I respect your "opinions" , and i can understand why you felt all those things you said about me. Also i don't feel the need to defend myself hereon.

06-06-2016, 04:16 AM
(06-06-2016 02:35 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  I respect your "opinions" , and i can understand why you felt all those things you said about me. Also i don't feel the need to defend myself hereon.

If it's any consolation, I think you can take those pretentious quotes around the word opinions and shove them up your ass while you're at it. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-06-2016, 05:47 AM
(06-06-2016 04:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 02:35 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  I respect your "opinions" , and i can understand why you felt all those things you said about me. Also i don't feel the need to defend myself hereon.

If it's any consolation, I think you can take those pretentious quotes around the word opinions and shove them up your ass while you're at it. Drinking Beverage

Maybe the quotation marks indicate irony?

Do you think perhaps he really does understand what drew my ire, and isn't simply telling himself that I'm just another angry atheist, and that he's being vilified for his righteousness (or as ol' JC put it, "persecuted for my name's sake"), and ignoring everything I pointed out to him?

Nah.

Pretentious, self-righteous, passive-aggressive a-holery.

[sarcasm] At last, something new from the theists who come on to this board! Finally, a break from those looking to prey upon anyone who expresses self-doubt or uncertainty. [/sarcasm]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post