Elusively looking for God, spirituality and enlightenment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2016, 06:54 AM
RE: Elusively looking for God, spirituality and enlightenment
It's entertaining to me as well , watching a bunch of hive minds , circle jerking to glory . Entertaining yes, challenging ? Yawn .. carry on circle jerking no fucks given.

All i know is what was told,
All i think is what i know,
All i am is what i think,
All i know NOT is who I Am.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2016, 07:00 AM
(06-06-2016 06:54 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  It's entertaining to me as well , watching a bunch of hive minds , circle jerking to glory . Entertaining yes, challenging ? Yawn .. carry on circle jerking no fucks given.

The irony and lack of introspection are just amazing with this one. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-06-2016, 07:08 AM
(06-06-2016 06:54 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  It's entertaining to me as well , watching a bunch of hive minds , circle jerking to glory . Entertaining yes, challenging ? Yawn .. carry on circle jerking no fucks given.

Hive mind. Singular. The exact term for the individual participants of the hive mind organization would depend on the definition/usage of hive mind that you are using.
Thumbsup

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
06-06-2016, 07:24 AM

Care enough to keep posting, yet saying nothing. Fuck off dipshit. Laugh out load

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
06-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Huh
Wow talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I read this and nearly face palmed myself to death. Facepalm
06-06-2016, 07:30 AM
I know that breaking into someone else's thread is not the proper way to do this, but I would like a PM from someone who can tell me how to start a thread and also advise me if my content is allowed here. Thanks Born Again Pagan
06-06-2016, 08:03 AM
(05-06-2016 02:25 PM)Dramamask Wrote:  My own journey to atheism, was sort of like a 'religious' or 'spiritual' process in itself, quite ironically.

I was brought up with Christian beliefs and believed in a Christian God, or at least what I thought that was, when I was very young. As a kid, I actually thought I was a 'holy' person, but there was always a part of me, which scared the living daylights out of me, which rebelled against the whole idea. At the time, I thought this rebellious nature of mine, was the Devil himself, which caused all kind of inner turmoil as a kid. I remember going to church on several occasions, at an early age, listening to the Vicar read his stuff and speak about God, Jesus and so forth, with the rebellious part of me, or the Devil speaking inside of my head, saying the Vicar was talking a load of rubbish, along with abusive words - all inside of my head and my own thoughts of course, but still, I was scared witless.

I also remember seeing my own image of God, inside my head and he wasn't the archetypal long white bearded chap sitting on a throne. Instead, he appeared as a man with a neatly trimmed beard, with a conventional haircut of the time and his hair was brown. He looked like my uncle, who incidentally, looks like my dad. It was many years later, after reading Freud and Jung, I deciphered these images, thoughts, etc, through Freud and Jung's psychology.

Anyway, I went through quite a few changes, starting off from theism, agnosticism and finally atheism. I read a fair bit about all kinds of religions and spiritual practices, as it felt like a quest to find God, enlightenment or some sort of spiritual connection/experience, but instead of finding what I thought I was looking for, I actually 'found' atheism. I would never have thought that would happen at the start, or even while I was going through my agnostic phase. I was hooked into Buddhism for a while, after rejecting Christianity and went through an array of weird and wonderful ideas about spirituality.

I felt I experienced some thoughts and feelings, which 'fitted' in with some religious ideas, spiritual experiences, etc, but luckily, I didn't explain them through religious or spiritual ideas and found psychology the best way to get a 'handle' on the whole thing and if some things I don't understand, then I can wait until I do.

I think my 'Holy Grail' was finding and developing my own capacity for reason and logic, and knowledge based on fact. Also, an awareness, that the mind can be very deceiving with how we interpret the world and experience the world, along with our own ideas, thoughts, feelings and emotions, which can cause quite a mix-up, with 'inappropriate' and sometimes 'unhealthy' programming.

I am glad to say, I can see through the tricks that people use, who believe anything supernatural and try to convince others, like cold-reading methods, psychological manipulation, etc, which I am very glad to be aware of, as it has opened my eyes to all kinds of human behaviour - from Vicars to dodgy sales-people! Haha! The seeds were always there, all the way back to that Devil inside my head, in church, who was actually the core of my personality.

I do empathise with people who were influenced, are influenced and are surrounded by people in their childhood, who promote religious ideas, which, and has been in my case, taken quite a few years of unravelling and making reason the central point of who I am and who I always was. I have been atheist for many years now.

Anyway, I'm waffling on here and could go on forever. I hope it makes some kind of sense.

Nothing really to "waffle" on. Many of us here where either deep into it, or on the fence with a tinge of fear we might be missing something.

But let me assure you, the good news is that there is no sky wizard and ground villain arch rival using the neurons in your brain as poker chips.

If a human does good or bad, that behavior is in them, not in old religions or naked assertions with no evidence.

Even the word "spiritual" is a loaded term and subject to the interpretation of the individual.

There are no old school "spirits" a disembodied entities. But I also don't like it when liberal theists say "I am spiritual but not religious". No, that is simply a watered down version of woo.

You don't need an old word like that to say "When I encounter things in nature I have a deep appreciation and sense of awe".

I have the same intense feelings when I think about my mom,or when my cat does something cute, or when I observe the beauty in nature. I simply see no need at all to use such an antiquated word to describe the feelings I have when I observe certain things.

It simply makes much more logical sense to me that humans cling to old woo and new woo, because the prospect of being finite they don't find comfort in. So humans invent all sorts of excuses to ignore the reality that we are simply a mere blip in cosmic time and we are NOT important to the planet, much less the universe.

Unfortunately when the atheists and or scientist states this reality, we get falsely accused of being negative and fatalistic, which is far from the truth. Our position is that you can value the finite time you have without making comic book excuses.

You go to a movie knowing it will end, but you still go. You go to a music concert knowing it will play a last song, but you still go. You go to a sporting event knowing one team will win, and one team will lose, and that too will end, but you still go. You read a book knowing it has a last page, but you still read it. You get a pet cat or dog, you enjoy it while it is alive, but it dies, you feel bad for a while, but you get another pet.

Being finite is nothing to be afraid of, just like you don't fear what your life was like before you were born. No, that does not mean atheists don't fear death, we do, just not in the same way.

I fear missing my loved ones, and them missing me. I fear prolonged pain. But I find it absurd to fear something you cant stop and will happen eventually. Nobody fears the death of a tree or cockroach. Death is an unfortunate part of life, but there is no magic to it, it is simply part of reality.

My mom printed out a saying I keep in my vehicle, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened". Now no, that does not mean never mourn, simply that you should not be paralyzed by fear.

Atheists have the same joys and pain as believers, the only difference is that we simply don't assign the good or bad in life to the super natural.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
06-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Looks like there's a bit of a stir going on here. I only relayed my own journey to atheism, in context to the post category. I'm going to have a lie down. Haha! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Dramamask's post
07-06-2016, 01:40 PM
After swimming in the freedom of nonbelief for a few years, one day the blatantly obvious hit me.....that the god concept is so terribly obviously man made! To pretend otherwise is laughable. Traces of human invention exist at every turn, up to and including the jealous sadistic old man in the sky bit. Monty Python's satire kind of wrote itself, after that.

Another useful realization for me is to see the involvement of religion embedded in the fabric of society, so that our laws and customs are based on a supernatural assumption. From our money to our national anthem, Americans have been force fed a diet of presumed divinity that takes a very clear mind to discern and separate the underlying moral concepts from the presumptive overlays.

Reading the wealth of atheist literature available has shown me that freethought has been with us a long time, but was often
actively suppressed, and the authors made to suffer imprisionment, or worse. We are freer today than we realize. Many of these past writers have ideas that still need to be widely heard, in order to break the stranglehold of religion on our society. Just the idea of one and only one life to live might help to end wars.

How free the child's mind not to be frightened shortly after birth with stories and punishments! Enough of this crap...may I live long enough to see religious belief treated like the mental aberration it is.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)
[+] 1 user Likes larry-new's post
11-06-2016, 07:03 AM
(07-06-2016 01:40 PM)larry-new Wrote:  After swimming in the freedom of nonbelief for a few years, one day the blatantly obvious hit me.....that the god concept is so terribly obviously man made! To pretend otherwise is laughable. Traces of human invention exist at every turn, up to and including the jealous sadistic old man in the sky bit. Monty Python's satire kind of wrote itself, after that.

Another useful realization for me is to see the involvement of religion embedded in the fabric of society, so that our laws and customs are based on a supernatural assumption. From our money to our national anthem, Americans have been force fed a diet of presumed divinity that takes a very clear mind to discern and separate the underlying moral concepts from the presumptive overlays.

Reading the wealth of atheist literature available has shown me that freethought has been with us a long time, but was often
actively suppressed, and the authors made to suffer imprisionment, or worse. We are freer today than we realize. Many of these past writers have ideas that still need to be widely heard, in order to break the stranglehold of religion on our society. Just the idea of one and only one life to live might help to end wars.

How free the child's mind not to be frightened shortly after birth with stories and punishments! Enough of this crap...may I live long enough to see religious belief treated like the mental aberration it is.

Agree with what you say there. I watched a documentary a while back which I think was titled 'The History of Atheism'. Very interesting and not much has changed, other than atheists perhaps not being heathens and being killed! Haha!! Big Grin