Email provider recommendations please.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Email provider recommendations please.
I first got an email address probably about 20 years ago. I got it through Yahoo, which was pretty much a random choice. I think this was before Google and I liked Yahoo's search engine. About 15 years ago (IIRC) I bought a domain name through Yahoo and that became my primary email. I also bought their upgraded service to get POP3 and later they added disposable addresses, which I find convenient.

But I'm getting more and more dissatisfied with Yahoo. One big gripe is that they will not allow me to log into their full email web site from a mobile device, and the mobile site does not allow me access to all the administrative tools. And their mobile email app is so hideous I cannot use it.

So I want to switch to another provider. But switching is a hassle. If I abandon my domain name I have to make sure everyone who might email me knows the new email address, and if I try to migrate the domain name to the new service that's sure to be difficult.

So I'd like to get it right the first time, and I'd like to try to pick a company that's not going to go under and leave me stranded. (I once had a secondary email from a web site I liked. The site eventually closed down, and for a while another company operated the email service, and then that disappeared. Not a big deal since I didn't use that email for much. But it's an object lesson about using a small company for a service I'll depend on.)

I thought of using Gmail, but as much as I like the Google search engine and some of the progressive stuff Google does, I'm not sure I like their policies with regard to personal data.

So, any suggestions for good email providers, where I could have my own domain name (for a fee) and POP3 (for a fee) that have good customer support (Yahoo has lousy customer support) but which are well-enough established that they are likely to remain in business?

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2015, 08:04 AM
RE: Email provider recommendations please.
I use gmail with my own domain name. The mail provider is configured in the DNS record of the domain so you should be able to expect any mail provider to support your existing domain, even your ISP. I don't have any specific provider to suggest though.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
10-05-2015, 09:06 AM
It sounds you have some very specific standards that you want met. I recommend doing trial-runs before making the plunge and see what works best for you.

https://runbox.com/ is a possible good option for you. If you are really concerned about security you could always use an e-mail service on a darknet, like Bitmessage.ch.

This page may be helpful in narrowing down the search for a new home. Good luck!

10-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Can you auto-forward your Yahoo emails to your new address?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
10-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm not concerned enough about privacy to need to use the dark net. I'm just not sure I like Google's attitude, though I may end up using them anyway.

Forwarding is probably not an issue. If I keep my domain, emails will come to me. If I buy a new domain, or just settle for a an account on e.g. the Gmail domain, I would keep my Yahoo account until I was satisfied nothing important was going to come there any more.

Anybody else have good email services to recommend?

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines