Embrace your atheism through cults.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2016, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 04:21 PM by Commonsensei.)
Embrace your atheism through cults.
Whether you're Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Hindu or one of its many branches, I'd be willing to bet money there are gods, or religions that you lack belief in. Even if you're a person that holds the stance "well they all believe in my god just a different way." I think after hearing some of these you may retract that statement. As the saying goes "Most people are Atheistic to most gods, but only Atheists go one god further."

After you read some of these I would love to hear your commentary, or maybe requests for further cults. Have you ever had personal experiences with a cult. If you are a person in a religion or faith, what method do you use to rule out these religions/beliefs in comparison to yours?

[Image: Gadget-Hackwrench-religion2.jpg]

The Gadget Hackwrench Cult

Members: 10
Founded: 2010
Founder: ?

"I’ve found one pic with Gadget in web a couple of days ago, on a popular entertainment site, with a little article of who she is and her story. From that moment i just fell in love with her. I’ve watched the cartoon when i was some about 5 or 6 years old, but even now i can’t remember something from it except the tune, and I’m not interested in it now. But Gadget crashed me into pieces. Her beauty, intelligence, kindness, mixed with fix-it-girl image is so tempting. Her pics from the cartoon are wonderful, but there is so much fan art where she looks just the ideal female. I look on her and think: what would i like to be changed in her? and understand- nothing. She’s perfect. In our dirty world She’s the only angel. I downloaded lots of her pictures within some days and keep looking and looking on her, just can’t take my eyes off. I absolutely understand the men who started the cult, because Gadget gives all us the hope that there’s the endless beauty in our world. The ideal girl. Which we’ll never meet in reality. I love you, Gadget."

If you're not famlier on who Gadget is. She was a member from the a Disney Afternoon cartoon in the 90's called Rescue Rangers. She was the pilot/mechanic of the group.

This group has taken fandom to a whole new level. That collect anything Gadget related candies, art, toys and using it in their religious practices. Posting images of Gadget threw out the city they reside in.

Information beyond that is lacking. Since the group is very small.

"She is the divine being, the most untouched and perfect sibling of the great God on Earth"

"Why I love her? It's stupid question, how I can't love the Godess?".

"She is strict, cute, optimistic and her level of technical knowledge is unachievable for a mortal being."

[Image: 17.jpg]

Next: Heaven's Gate

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
06-07-2016, 06:13 PM
RE: Embrace your atheism through cults.
Fan is short for fanatic for a reason.

As odd as the Gadget Hackwrench cult seems, what you've presented here is much tamer and saner than most mainstream religions. So far nobody's tried to drink her blood, blow up the non-believers, or burn anybody alive. Hardly warrants the designation of "cult".

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
06-07-2016, 06:30 PM
I used to watch that show as a kid. I was more of a Monterey Jack fan, myself. He had a pet fly, an Australian accent, and had an unhealthy addiction to cheese.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
06-07-2016, 06:40 PM
I hear the Cult of Seth isn't a bad group to join. Built in way to dispel your atheism too, with green narcotic hazy brainwashing mists:

--
In all seriousness though, the Gadget cult is definitely weird, but seems harmless.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2016, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 12:40 PM by Commonsensei.)
[Image: hbhgtd.jpg]

The Heavens Gate Cult

San Diego CA USA
Members: 50
1974 - 1997
Marshall Applewhite & Bonnie Nettles
http://www.heavensgate.com/

Belief: The "human" body is merely a vessel meant to help on their grand intergalactic journey. That earth was about to be wiped clean, and the only way to survive was to leave immediately. Threw suicide. They didn't view suicide as death but merely leaving their earthly vessels behind to advance to the next level.

The only way to achieve the next level they had to shed all attachment to earth. Family, friends, sex, individuality, jobs, money, and possessions.

They believed that they were extraterrestrial beings that they called "walk-ins" that entered these earthly bodies, until the arrival of their space ship that would be in the tale of the Hale–Bopp Comet.

On March 26, 1997, 38 members of the Heavens gate cult where found dead, in a rented out mansion in San Diego. Cause of death was ingestion of Phenobrabital that was mixed with apple sauce and washed down with vodka. Plastic bags where then secured around their heads after ingesting the mix that induced asphyxiation. The ages of the member ranged from 26 -72. Among those dead was a Mr. Thomas Nichols, who had a famous sister Nichelle Nichols better known as Uhura for the original Star Trek series.

Next: The Peoples Temple of the Disciples of Christ

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
07-07-2016, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 03:53 PM by Commonsensei.)
[Image: ?m=02&d=20111122&t=2&...-JONESTOWN]

The Peoples Temple
California USA
Members (peaked) 5,000
1955 - 1978
Jim Jones

Belief: Some differences was the push that Jesus was a Communist. Jim Jones and his priests had the ability to Faith heal. And demand for close community ties including putting the Church Family before, blood family. Sex was to be saved for the divine (Jim), and the group should only adopt children.

In 1961 Jones had a "vision" that Chicago would come under a nuclear attack. And all the members of the temple in order to service needed to find a safe location to hide.

In 1962 Jones read an article in Esquire say the safest location in the world in case of a nuclear fall out. It placed Brazil in the top 10.

He spent the next several years pulling funds to build a new Eden there. Eventually come up with enough money to buy land in Guyana and fly ruffle 1,000 members there. 918 of which would never return.

On November 17, 1978 Leo Ryan a Congressman from San Francisco area investigating claims of abuse within the People Temple, visited Jones town. After have been giving a tour of the complex and finding no wrong was ready to leave when a note was passed to him asking for help. Leo confronted Jim Jones Jones insited that anyone that wished to leave could. The next day a number of members accompanied Ryan to the near by air strip at Port Kaituma. Before they could board the plane they where gunned down by Temple Security. Later that evening Jones ordered his congregation to drink a concoction of cyanide-laced, grape-flavored Kool-aid. 918 people died, 276 of which where children. Those that refused to drink where shot.

Next: The Church Universal and Triumphant

07-07-2016, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 05:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
I'm concerned about August 6. We may require additional security.

[Image: slack.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Quote:Have you ever had personal experiences with a cult.

Walk to Emmaus

It's a Christian "organization." Good luck finding info on it. It's actually got a ton of members worldwide. Thousands in North Alabama.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
07-07-2016, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 07:24 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(07-07-2016 06:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  

Walk to Emmaus

It's a Christian "organization." Good luck finding info on it. It's actually got a ton of members worldwide. Thousands in North Alabama.

I've known quite a few people who have gone through its fifteen talks retreat type things and prayers, meditation, and daily Communion. They described it as making them break down into tears and realize how much they need to rely on God because they are nothing...

It sounded creepy. Hope you didn't have too bad an experience.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2016, 09:16 AM
(07-07-2016 06:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  

Walk to Emmaus

Walk to Emmaus
The Upper Room
http://emmaus.upperroom.org/

Looks like a Catholic Retreat.