Embrace your atheism through cults.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2016, 11:14 AM
RE: Embrace your atheism through cults.
(06-07-2016 06:13 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Fan is short for fanatic for a reason.

As odd as the Gadget Hackwrench cult seems, what you've presented here is much tamer and saner than most mainstream religions. So far nobody's tried to drink her blood, blow up the non-believers, or burn anybody alive. Hardly warrants the designation of "cult".

I was going to make the same point. They don't seem to be hurting anyone and I didn't see any reason to assume that their cult is danger to themselves.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2016, 04:57 PM
(08-07-2016 09:16 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 06:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Walk to Emmaus

It's a Christian "organization." Good luck finding info on it. It's actually got a ton of members worldwide. Thousands in North Alabama.

Walk to Emmaus
The Upper Room
http://emmaus.upperroom.org/

Looks like a Catholic Retreat.

Protestant ripoff of a Catholic Retreat system. But somehow they beat us at the guilt game (and emotional manipulation game, but they tend to win that one anyhow, at least in my anecdotal experiences).

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2016, 03:36 PM
[Image: CUTLogo_Blue_med-297x300.jpg]

Church Universal and Triumphant
USA
Members 50,000
1975 -
Elizabeth Clare Prophet

Belief: Elizabeth Clare Prophet believed that she shared the gift of the word, both written and spoken. She claimed to be in constant communion with God.

A mix of New age, Buddhism, Christianity, alchemy, the paranormal, elementals, Angels, karma and communications with Ascended Master through the Holy Spirit.

This cult gained notoriety in the 1980's. The were subject to many lawsuits from former members that accused the church of using sleep deprivation to control it's members.

In 1989 the church starting building fallout shelters after Elizabeth resived a message from the Assended Masters that a nuclear war was going to start Oct 2 1989. They stock piled weapons that they bought illegally.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
27-07-2016, 04:47 PM
I once, in 1998 and 1999, went to several meetings led by a guy who claimed he had been in a UFO circling Earth and met with Jesus of Nazareth and on New Years Day 2000 JC was going to land in some big city that had not yet been determined and set up His eternal kingdom. This man was recruiting people to go to various cities and find information for Jesus. I wanted to sign up, but there was no salary connected with the position, one had to finance it himself, and I didn't have the money to do so, so didn't get the job! I could get the information and try to find out if he is still alive and if maybe he has been in contact with Jesus again lately and what is going to happen now.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
29-07-2016, 03:48 PM
[Image: church-of-euthanasia.jpg]

The Church of Euthanasia
Delaware
Founded 1992
Chris Korda, Robert Kimberk
http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/

Belief: Their are too many people in the world. And we need to reduce the number threw suicide, abortion, cannibalism and sodomy. They don't suggest murder or involuntary sterilization.

[Image: si4cover.jpg]

[Image: The-Church-of-Euthanasia.jpg]

If West Burros Baptist church had a red headed step child, it would be the Church of Euthanasia. This is a Suicide cult, and their web sight includes instruction on how to kill yourself threw by asphyxiation using helium.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
29-07-2016, 09:36 PM
(27-07-2016 03:36 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  ...

I'm assuming this one is a Poe.

If not, I'd be happy to get behind it and enter into a holey union.

Now, brothers 'n' sisters, let us all bow our heads and worship at the CU'n'T.

Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
30-07-2016, 08:32 AM
(29-07-2016 09:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 03:36 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  ...

I'm assuming this one is a Poe.

If not, I'd be happy to get behind it and enter into a holey union.

Now, brothers 'n' sisters, let us all bow our heads and worship at the CU'n'T.

Angel

Laugh out load

How did I miss that?

The membership numbers have greatly fallen since the prophet Elizabeth got Alzheimer's and with the laws for non-profit organizations changing in the late 90's. They had to sell the majority of their land holdings. Plus you know the whole world not falling into nuclear really put a damper on the message they were sending.

Her daughter Erin Prophet now runs the show for the most part. the last speech I found with her she was pushing homeopathy.

30-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Alcoholics Anonymous but I'm out now.
30-07-2016, 09:40 AM
[Image: 220px-Uc_symbol.png]

The Unification Church
Seoul. Korea
Members 30,000+
Founded May 1, 1954
Sun Myung Moon
http://familyfed.org/

Belief: They have their own Holy Book Expostion of the Devine Principle. That fomats their systematic theology.
1. God's purpose in creating human beings
2. The fall of man.
3. Restoration (How god is working to correct mans mistake.)

Quote:What, then, is the meaning of restoration through indemnity? When someone has lost his original position or state, he must make some condition to be restored to it. The making of such conditions of restitution is called indemnity. .... God's work to restore people to their true, unfallen state by having them fulfill indemnity conditions is called the providence of restoration through indemnity.

Divine Principle: Introduction to Restoration

Moon is God incarnate. He and his wife (Hak Ja Han) are the "True Parents" of human kind. Jesus could not achieve the perfect form because he died on the cross. But had he lived and married like moon did he would have achieved the perfect form with both the peak of masculine and feminine aspects as his wife and he did. Jesus served his purpose however for taking the blame for man's sins.

Moon hoped to cleans the world of mans satanic lineage.

[Image: moonies-wedding_24_2495630b.jpg]

[Image: Mass%20wedding]

Notoriety: Members are know as Moonies.

Mass number weddings. 30,000 people at Seoul Olympic Stadium, 13,000 at Yankee Stadium, 24,000 via video link.

Most of the couples don't know each other longer then a month some only a day, before getting married. The church decides who gets married to who.

Plus a when a man calls himself god, and people believe you, you can do just about anything. Kim jon-un has been noted as having great respect for Moon.

The founder Sun Myung Moon died in 2012. His widow Hak Ja Han now is the head of the church, and goals of the church have shifted from Millennialism to Utopianism.

30-07-2016, 10:43 AM
How about The Family? I once met a man working on construction after Katrina in Mississippi who belonged to The Family a cult started in California to retrieve drug addicts from the streets of San Francisco during the hippy days. He slept in his car to use his money to preach. He believed in all the evangelical things such as the AntiChrist (then Prez Bush) and no smoking and no alcohol, nor drugs. I was on some insider webpages with him on The Family's site. They had been persecuted worldwide he was quick to point out. They had been bought to court for pedophilia which he denied, though he was in favor of multiple wives. His first wife had left him when he rook on a second one. WHen I knew him he had none. Maybe you can find something about them if they are extant.