Emergent Complexity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Emergent Complexity
Often times I will refer to emergent complexity or emergence in my posts. I've come to realize that many on this forum simply are not educated on what emergence complexity is. For instance BuckeeBalls thought I was referring to intelligent design which isn't even close. so what is emergent complexity or emergence?

Emergence is the way complex systems and patterns arise out of a multiplicity of relatively simple interactions. NovascienceNow did an episode about emergence. Neil DeGrass-Tyson texplains it a lot better than I can. Clink on the link and when you get to NOVA's webpage, click launch video.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/emergence.html

Here is an interactive JAVA demonstration from MIT on emergence(you need a java enabled browser but there is follow on link to a flash version).

http://llk.media.mit.edu/projects/emergence/

Check these out and if you have any questions about emergence we can discuss them in this thread.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
05-04-2013, 02:29 PM
RE: Emergent Complexity
I have no idea why that matters in the slightest.

What is the point?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
05-04-2013, 02:36 PM
(05-04-2013 02:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have no idea why that matters in the slightest.

What is the point?

The point is education my friend. When someone talks about emergent complexity, you don't want to come off as an ignorant fool by confusing it with something else.
05-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Complex systems are formed from simple systems.

A crystal of graphite is simple, but is a complex arrangement of the single element carbon. A carbon atom is simple, but complex when compared to its components.

What then does the existence of anything complex mean, if not that it is composed of simplicity? And is un-reliant upon intelligence.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-04-2013, 02:37 PM
It is actually pretty cool stuff. Haven't followed the links but have come across some basic literature about it before.

Basically a system with simple rules can throw up surprisingly complex behaviour, often behavior which you couldn't really *predict* from those rules (because as humans we suck at simulation) but which nevertheless shows *order*, although sometimes I think I remember reading *chaos* can be found too...
05-04-2013, 02:39 PM
(05-04-2013 02:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Complex systems are formed from simple systems.

A crystal of graphite is simple, but is a complex arrangement of the single element carbon. A carbon atom is simple, but complex when compared to its components.

What then does the existence of anything complex mean, if not that it is composed of simplicity? And is un-reliant upon intelligence.

Emergent complex systems appear to have more complexity than the sum of their simple components.
05-04-2013, 02:46 PM
(05-04-2013 02:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 02:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Complex systems are formed from simple systems.

Emergent complex systems appear to have more complexity than the sum of their simple components.

They may appear that way, but they are not.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
05-04-2013, 02:46 PM
OK so now it's established what it is...

GOD!!!
05-04-2013, 02:55 PM
(05-04-2013 02:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Often times I will refer to emergent complexity or emergence in my posts. I've come to realize that many on this forum simply are not educated on what emergence complexity is. For instance BuckeeBalls thought I was referring to intelligent design which isn't even close. so what is emergent complexity or emergence?

Emergence is the way complex systems and patterns arise out of a multiplicity of relatively simple interactions. NovascienceNow did an episode about emergence. Neil DeGrass-Tyson texplains it a lot better than I can. Clink on the link and when you get to NOVA's webpage, click launch video.

Here is an interactive JAVA demonstration from MIT on emergence(you need a java enabled browser but there is follow on link to a flash version).

Check these out and if you have any questions about emergence we can discuss them in this thread.

What do you believe the significance of emergent complexity is?

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
05-04-2013, 02:56 PM
(05-04-2013 02:55 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 02:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Often times I will refer to emergent complexity or emergence in my posts. I've come to realize that many on this forum simply are not educated on what emergence complexity is. For instance BuckeeBalls thought I was referring to intelligent design which isn't even close. so what is emergent complexity or emergence?

What do you believe the significance of emergent complexity is?

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post