Emergent Complexity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 06:30 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Emergent Complexity
(05-04-2013 02:36 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 02:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have no idea why that matters in the slightest.

What is the point?

The point is education my friend. When someone talks about emergent complexity, you don't want to come off as an ignorant fool by confusing it with something else.

No troll. I know what emergent complexity is. My point was that inevitably you theist trolls conflate it with ID, and use it to prove your god(s), and you have already done so in your first stupid thread here. So besides posting this stuff that everyone already knows, was there a point to all this crap, or are you just creating another idiot thread, as you have nothing better to do, no friends, no family, no life, and spend all day every day trolling this site ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 05:34 PM
(05-04-2013 03:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 02:36 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The point is education my friend. When someone talks about emergent complexity, you don't want to come off as an ignorant fool by confusing it with something else.

No troll. I know what emergent complexity is. My point was that inevitably you theist trolls conflate it with ID, and use it to prove your god(s), and you have already done so in your first stupid thread here. So besides posting this stuff that everyone already knows, was there a ppoint to all this crap, or are you just creating another idiot thread, as you have nothing better to do, no friends, no family, no life, and spend all day every day trolling this site ?

Can you provide one example from a theist other than myself who even talked about emergent complexity in this forum?

Also I forgive you for calling me a troll and for spreading lies about my social life.
05-04-2013, 05:54 PM
(05-04-2013 02:55 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 02:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Often times I will refer to emergent complexity or emergence in my posts. I've come to realize that many on this forum simply are not educated on what emergence complexity is. For instance BuckeeBalls thought I was referring to intelligent design which isn't even close. so what is emergent complexity or emergence?

Emergence is the way complex systems and patterns arise out of a multiplicity of relatively simple interactions. NovascienceNow did an episode about emergence. Neil DeGrass-Tyson texplains it a lot better than I can. Clink on the link and when you get to NOVA's webpage, click launch video.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/emergence.html

Here is an interactive JAVA demonstration from MIT on emergence(you need a java enabled browser but there is follow on link to a flash version).

http://llk.media.mit.edu/projects/emergence/

Check these out and if you have any questions about emergence we can discuss them in this thread.

What do you believe the significance of emergent complexity is?

If emergent complexity is happening now(and it is) then it seems intuitive to me that it has always been happening. What would an eternally emergent complex system would look like?
05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Re: Emergent Complexity
It may seem intuitive to you, but that has no bearing on reality.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Don't feed the trolls.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
05-04-2013, 06:42 PM
(05-04-2013 06:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It may seem intuitive to you, but that has no bearing on reality.

You are correct. Because emergent complexity has been happening for the last 13.7 billion years, that's no guarantee its been happening eternally.
05-04-2013, 06:44 PM
(05-04-2013 06:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Don't feed the trolls.

You ever find those examples of theists turning emergent complexity into intelligent design? I didn't think so.
05-04-2013, 10:57 PM
I would have thought emergent complexity was more of an argument for an unguided creation than for ID, given how it shows that simple rules can give rise to complex behaviour.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-04-2013, 11:26 PM
(05-04-2013 10:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  I would have thought emergent complexity was more of an argument for an unguided creation than for ID, given how it shows that simple rules can give rise to complex behaviour.

I used to use emergence on theist forums to argue that the universe creates everything from "nothing" daily. Thumbsup

Here, however, I'm thinking blowme just decided to lump two sciency-sounding terms together in an attempt to sound intelligent. Hobo

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-04-2013, 11:32 PM
(05-04-2013 11:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  lump two sciency-sounding terms together in an attempt to sound intelligent. Hobo

Uranus Hertz
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post