Emergent Complexity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Re: Emergent Complexity
I agree, that was the point I was trying to make at some point but may have gotten off on a tangent... As I tend to do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 05:33 PM
RE: Emergent Complexity
(11-04-2013 08:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 03:08 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If I had some respect for you, I would make it a point to respond to more of your posts. Sometimes I read a post that I don't really want to bother responding too, but will respond out of respect to the person who wrote it.....you're not one of those people.

Exactly. You can't. Just like Egor. Respect has nothing to do wit it. Admit it. You are a troll..

Calling people trolls is one of the behaviors that causes me to have no respect for you. Hurling insults is a hallmark of the weak minded. Just because I forgive you doesn't change my perception of you.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
12-04-2013, 07:13 AM
(11-04-2013 05:33 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 08:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly. You can't. Just like Egor. Respect has nothing to do wit it. Admit it. You are a troll..

Calling people trolls is one of the behaviors that causes me to have no respect for you. Hurling insults is a hallmark of the weak minded. Just because I forgive you doesn't change my perception of you.

Out of curiosity, what does forgiveness mean to you ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
12-04-2013, 11:38 AM
(11-04-2013 05:33 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 08:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly. You can't. Just like Egor. Respect has nothing to do wit it. Admit it. You are a troll..

None of the points have been addressed.
The theological and philosophical nonsense of an "improving god" who NEEDS time to go from T1 to T+1 puts everything before, whuch made no sense, (the BS in the "what Dawkins got wrong" thread), is now very clear.
BlowJob is not a critical thinker, obviously, and does not possess the background to play in the sandbox with the big kids.
Whether someone like that respects me is irrelevant.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
12-04-2013, 12:05 PM
(11-04-2013 07:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  What if I see and understand a hydrogen atom and a phospholipid. Is one more complex than the other? Or are they both equally simple because I understand them?

I don't know what "equally simple" means. A hydrogen atom is simple and complex. A phospholipid is simple and complex. It is about perspective. At what level am I viewing the Hydrogen atom? Is it at the macro scale of its basic properties? Simple. Is it at a finer scale of its basic components and their individual properties? Complex. Same goes for the phospholipid. And no, they are not "equally simple" if you mean that at the level they are simple, they are equal.

And something being simple or complex is not contingent upon any one persons ability to comprehend it. If that were the case, then nothing would be simple since there would always be people unable to comprehend it.

But I can only assume you are not actually trying to make a legitimate point and are instead, trying to play with words to muddle the issue so that you can claim some sort of hollow victory.

I wasn't trying to muddle the issue but rather make the point that Rahn's claim that complexity is that which we don't understand and simple is that which we do understand is wrong. I don't have an issue with what you've said about complexity above. Surely you would agree a covered wagon is less complex than a Ford Model T, which is less complex than a Nissan Maxima.
12-04-2013, 12:19 PM
(10-04-2013 08:57 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  To be fair, I think Heywood did say something on the order of his god coming into existence at the big bang and it being some form of reality or something along those lines.

Not that it is any more credible, but I think you're criticisms might be a bit misdirected.

I don't think God or reality came into existence at the big bang or any other moment. I think both have always existed....both are eternal.
12-04-2013, 12:24 PM
(12-04-2013 12:19 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 08:57 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  To be fair, I think Heywood did say something on the order of his god coming into existence at the big bang and it being some form of reality or something along those lines.

Not that it is any more credible, but I think you're criticisms might be a bit misdirected.

I don't think God or reality came into existence at the big bang or any other moment. I think both have always existed....both are eternal.

Well then you need to provide some kind of counter argument not to the laymen on this forum but to Steven Hawking, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Carl Sagen and far more than can be listed here. Your out of your league on this one.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-04-2013, 12:25 PM
(12-04-2013 12:05 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 07:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't know what "equally simple" means. A hydrogen atom is simple and complex. A phospholipid is simple and complex. It is about perspective. At what level am I viewing the Hydrogen atom? Is it at the macro scale of its basic properties? Simple. Is it at a finer scale of its basic components and their individual properties? Complex. Same goes for the phospholipid. And no, they are not "equally simple" if you mean that at the level they are simple, they are equal.

And something being simple or complex is not contingent upon any one persons ability to comprehend it. If that were the case, then nothing would be simple since there would always be people unable to comprehend it.

But I can only assume you are not actually trying to make a legitimate point and are instead, trying to play with words to muddle the issue so that you can claim some sort of hollow victory.

I wasn't trying to muddle the issue but rather make the point that Rahn's claim that complexity is that which we don't understand and simple is that which we do understand is wrong. I don't have an issue with what you've said about complexity above. Surely you would agree a covered wagon is less complex than a Ford Model T, which is less complex than a Nissan Maxima.

They are complex unequally because they contain systems that each successive one does not.

I still have no idea what point you're actually trying to get at. Emergence and complexity are compatible with a view of the universe that contains no supernatural entity, no conscious entity, and need nothing more than the existence of the universe.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
12-04-2013, 12:27 PM
(12-04-2013 12:19 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Given that time would have started at the Big Bang, the Universe has indeed existed as long as there has been time. But you add in "god" along with it. I have no idea how but I also have no idea what your "god" is, what it does, or what evidence you have of it.

You'll need to actually tell me what your god is, besides the fact that you believe it came into being with the universe... Drinking Beverage ...I got that bit already.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
12-04-2013, 12:30 PM
(12-04-2013 07:13 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 05:33 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Calling people trolls is one of the behaviors that causes me to have no respect for you. Hurling insults is a hallmark of the weak minded. Just because I forgive you doesn't change my perception of you.

Out of curiosity, what does forgiveness mean to you ?

It means I renounce my anger and resentment. It does not mean I grant him the credibility or respect that I grant to some other posters. My time is limited and I can't always respond to everyone's posts, especially now that spring is here.