Emotional Reasons For Being an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Emotional Reasons For Being an Atheist
I believe it was mostly an objective, scientific mental process that turned me into an atheist, but I must admit that I had wanted the universe to be godless long before I had evidence that it was. I'm with Schopenhauer in thinking that the world appears to be designed for suffering, and I'm with Nietzsche in thinking that the only excuse for the evil creator is that he does not exist. I hoped science would unburden me of the pain of hating God. Even if I hadn't hated God, I still might not have wanted him to exist. I've always had a strong need for privacy, and feeling as if I was constantly under the gaze of some omniscient entity—however benevolent—was not conducive to my peace of mind.

I've frequently criticized theists for believing in things because they're appealing rather than because they're true, so I thought it only fair to try to turn the same scrutiny on myself. That's what I came up with. What about you guys? Are you, to any extent, atheists for emotional rather than logical reasons, as far as you can tell?

"Be kind, friendly, and lenient towards your fellow man, but unrelenting and pitiless with yourself."

--Franz Bardon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 02:56 PM
RE: Emotional Reasons For Being an Atheist
I was never a believer. The whole god thing has always been as fictional as Superman or Santa to me.
08-08-2014, 03:00 PM
I was raised a believer, then as soon as I became an adult I started chasing the knowledge and the more I learned the less I believed.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
08-08-2014, 03:06 PM
I suppose there is an emotional element -- it's nice to not have to worry about Hell anymore -- but it's mostly intellectual. When I realized that the whole Christian narrative didn't make any sense, and that there were better, more rational explanations for the way things are, I stopped believing it.
08-08-2014, 03:13 PM
My situation is more or less the opposite of what you described. I was and still am terrified of the prospect of death and non-existence. When I became an atheist, I discarded the comforting belief that there is some benevolent entity out there that will ensure that I continue to exist for eternity in some form or another. While I have been unable to find a substitute that is able to give me the same comfort, I realize that my emotional need for there to be an afterlife has no bearing on the feasibility of its existence. I would still be a theist if I allowed my emotions to determine what I believe in.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
08-08-2014, 03:19 PM
(08-08-2014 03:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  My situation is more or less the opposite of what you described. I was and still am terrified of the prospect of death and non-existence. When I became an atheist, I discarded the comforting belief that there is some benevolent entity out there that will ensure that I continue to exist for eternity in some form or another. While I have been unable to find a substitute that is able to give me the same comfort, I realize that my emotional need for there to be an afterlife has no bearing on the feasibility of its existence. I would still be a theist if I allowed my emotions to determine what I believe in.

I was actually going to say something like this, but on further thought, I realized that Hell would be a whole lot worse than non-existence, and according to some Christians, most people are going to Hell. Non-existence doesn't really bother me, anyway -- it's the transition to non-existence (i.e., death, which seems to be painful and generally unpleasant in most cases).

Which makes me wonder about the whole Lazarus thing. According to the teaching of Christianity, he had already done the hard part (dying) and was at peace. And now, thanks to Jesus, he's going to have to die again? It doesn't seem to me that Jesus was doing him any favor.
08-08-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't believe in God for purely practical reasons. No emot involved. The idea of it makes NO sense. I do, however, feel that if by some crazy chance I am wrong, I have some things I would like to discuss with this deity, because I am not happy with his ass.
08-08-2014, 09:35 PM
*emotion
08-08-2014, 09:51 PM
(08-08-2014 09:34 PM)CarlyRoxanne Wrote:  I don't believe in God for purely practical reasons. No emot involved. The idea of it makes NO sense. I do, however, feel that if by some crazy chance I am wrong, I have some things I would like to discuss with this deity, because I am not happy with his ass.

Just imagine how poor Moses must of felt (it was Moses whom god mooned, right?)

Also, FYI, you don't have to make a new post for grammar corrections, just hit the edit button.

[Image: giphy.gif]
09-08-2014, 08:34 AM
I would say my love of scientific knowledge created a lot of skepticism about theistic claims, but I always had a sense of outrage about why the world had so much suffering in it and this god refused to do anything about it.

This also made me dislike and distrust apologists when they came up with their "choice" excuse.
Apparently this god was terrified and/or adamant against doing anything in the real world that could provide solid evidence of its existence, which would not affect people's choice BTW -or maybe it didn't exist, that was the simplest explanation.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition