Emotional Reasons For Being an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2014, 09:02 AM
RE: Emotional Reasons For Being an Atheist
When I deconverted I was too young to really think things through or realize the reprecussions of either side. Religion had had no emotional impact on me other than utter boredom at church, and atheism had no emotional impact at all.

That said, now that I'm older, and have thought everything through, staying an atheist goes directly against my emotions. Death terrifies me so much that some small part of me thinks I'd rather be in hell than have it actually happen, and the pressure to not screw up my life has become crushing now that I know it's my one life, but it's reality and I can't convince myself it's not true anymore than I can convince myself I can fly.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2014, 09:22 AM
(08-08-2014 02:32 PM)Seikilos Wrote:  I believe it was mostly an objective, scientific mental process that turned me into an atheist, but I must admit that I had wanted the universe to be godless long before I had evidence that it was. I'm with Schopenhauer in thinking that the world appears to be designed for suffering, and I'm with Nietzsche in thinking that the only excuse for the evil creator is that he does not exist. I hoped science would unburden me of the pain of hating God. Even if I hadn't hated God, I still might not have wanted him to exist. I've always had a strong need for privacy, and feeling as if I was constantly under the gaze of some omniscient entity—however benevolent—was not conducive to my peace of mind.

I've frequently criticized theists for believing in things because they're appealing rather than because they're true, so I thought it only fair to try to turn the same scrutiny on myself. That's what I came up with. What about you guys? Are you, to any extent, atheists for emotional rather than logical reasons, as far as you can tell?

I don't give atheists a pass on this issue. Yes, you can have an emotional reason to reject a god claim, but that is not a good reason by itself or the core reason. The only core reason to reject a god claim, or any claim on any subject for that matter, is lack of evidence.

Now bad happening under the alleged watch of this claimed sky hero can address the broken logic of claiming "all loving". But again, still not the core reason.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I deconverted from Catholicism when I read the bible at age 10. The bible looked like a badly written, gruesome fairy tale to me and I filed it away.

Science had nothing to do with it. I was into riding my bike, reading kid's books and playing outside. The bible just seemed like a stupid book with a bad story line. Church had become boring. I was done with it. So many other things to do and explore...

As far as death goes (since it's being mentioned here), I don't mind sleeping every night. Why would I mind sleeping permanently? I want a good life and a good death, and both are within my power. Works for me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user