Poll: Your emotions...
...can vary in intensity
...are either on or off, all or nothing.
[Show Results]

Emotions: on/off vs varying intensities

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Emotions: on/off vs varying intensities
(14-02-2013 05:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 04:52 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  There are different magnitudes in which emotions can be felt, at least it appears this way to me. Emotions are not just either on or off, all or nothing.

For some of us they are all just on or off, all or nothing. Experience that shit fully. Milk that shit for all it's motherfucking worth while you have the chance. Be here motherfucking now. For others, not so much. No biggie either way. So fucking what?

I was intrigued by this. Emotions in my subjective experience can vary in intensity. I assumed this was the case for everyone.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Adenosis's post
14-02-2013, 05:36 PM
RE: Emotions: on/off vs varying intensities
My emotions vary as well. I don't understand what it would be like to have on/off emotions. That might be a sign of bipolar /borderline personality disorders?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
14-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Intensity might be relative to the experience itself but it also might be relative to how you feel about the experience.
There is you and then there are outside factors that effect you.

I might go to a movie that is sad or happy. I cry a shit load but I am not attached to the movie, per se; I've got my own internal baggage that I might be relating it to and therefore, I cry. Intense emotion, but nothing really relative to my life; this emotional intensity might called about from a comparable incident in real life.

I might break up with someone. I cry a shit load - I'm attached to this person and I'm hurt, fearful, suddenly lonely, pissed off; pretty intense emotions that are very relative to my life right now.

So yes, intensity of emotions may vary with the nuance of experience and time; intensity of emotion is an immediate experience.

Consider Actually, I may need more time to think about it - good post. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-02-2013, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 06:11 PM by Adenosis.)
(14-02-2013 05:45 PM)kim Wrote:  0.Intensity might be relative to the experience itself but it also might be relative to how you feel about the experience.
There is you and then there are outside factors that effect you.

1.I might go to a movie that is sad or happy. I cry a shit load but I am not attached to the movie, per se; I've got my own internal baggage that I might be relating it to and therefore, I cry. Intense emotion, but nothing really relative to my life; this emotional intensity might called about from a comparable incident in real life.

2.I might break up with someone. I cry a shit load - I'm attached to this person and I'm hurt, fearful, suddenly lonely, pissed off; pretty intense emotions that are very relative to my life right now.

So yes, intensity of emotions may vary with the nuance of experience and time; intensity of emotion is an immediate experience.

Consider Actually, I may need more time to think about it - good post. Thumbsup

0. Ofcourse, the experience and the way you interpret the experience are responcible for the varying intensities.

1. low intensity perhaps because your pulling experiences from memory to relate to the movie causing you to cry. I know someone that cries during sad movies a lot, for them it's much different than crying due to a real problematic situation.

2. I would think a 'real time' situation would cause more intense emotions, being more fresh in the mind it would be focused on more frequently.

Personally I can feel the intensity of an emotion shift as I think more or less about the thing causing that emotion to arise. I wonder if the intensity comes from the amount of times the conscious mind is stimulated by the emotion.

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
14-02-2013, 07:09 PM
(14-02-2013 06:08 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 05:45 PM)kim Wrote:  

Personally I can feel the intensity of an emotion shift as I think more or less about the thing causing that emotion to arise. I wonder if the intensity comes from the amount of times the conscious mind is stimulated by the emotion.
Well, when you are grieving a loss, the more often you are exposed to a certain trigger, the less it triggers you.
I can temporarily turn off all emotion. Temporarily. To get through a situation without a display of emotion, when normally there would be emotion.
When you play poker, you turn off emotions selectively - you still joke around and such, but you don't show any negative emotion. I can't feel it but not show it, I have to, and can, just turn it off.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-02-2013, 07:41 PM
(14-02-2013 07:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 06:08 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  Personally I can feel the intensity of an emotion shift as I think more or less about the thing causing that emotion to arise. I wonder if the intensity comes from the amount of times the conscious mind is stimulated by the emotion.
Well, when you are grieving a loss, the more often you are exposed to a certain trigger, the less it triggers you.
I can temporarily turn off all emotion. Temporarily. To get through a situation without a display of emotion, when normally there would be emotion.
When you play poker, you turn off emotions selectively - you still joke around and such, but you don't show any negative emotion. I can't feel it but not show it, I have to, and can, just turn it off.

Basically the more you are exposed to a specific emotion/situation, the better you get at controlling it. My emotions are on average just background noise, usually I am in a rather neutral state. I can shift my attention to something that doesn't stimulate a specific emotion if I wish, but this doesn't always hide the emotion right off the bat, rather it fades away slowly.

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
14-02-2013, 08:02 PM
(14-02-2013 07:41 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 07:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, when you are grieving a loss, the more often you are exposed to a certain trigger, the less it triggers you.

Basically the more you are exposed to a specific emotion/situation, the better you get at controlling it. My emotions are on average just background noise, usually I am in a rather neutral state. I can shift my attention to something that doesn't stimulate a specific emotion if I wish, but this doesn't always hide the emotion right off the bat, rather it fades away slowly.
I am the same way. If I'm feeling really emotional I take a break to let it out, and let it subside.

I will admit that it annoys me that my emotions often do the thinking and I have to stop my self and reanalyze things.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
16-02-2013, 07:51 PM
I always figured crying during movies was mainly due to temporary empathy with the characters, their world is real to you for 120 minutes or so and so are the things that happen in their world.

I'm not a very emotional person, except that I get pissed off sometimes. But I suppose I have varying levels of pissed-offness.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
19-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Of course emotions can vary in intensity.
We live in an analog world, not in a digital one.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like KVron's post
19-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm a very emotional person. I cry when I'm happy, I cry when I'm sad. I can be VERY happy about things and vice versa and I react -very- strongly to the world around me.

I do however have the ability to hault certain feelings when I -need- too. (Having to watch people, and assist people with dying will help you with this) but then I need to remove myself for a while to get what I've been feeling in check.

I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or not. But at the end of the day I like that I "wear my heart on my sleeve" as it's said. Even if wish I could turn it off sometimes.... I feel bad for people that dont like to experience life that way.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard