Poll: Your emotions...
...can vary in intensity
...are either on or off, all or nothing.
[Show Results]

Emotions: on/off vs varying intensities

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2013, 01:24 PM
RE: Emotions: on/off vs varying intensities
(19-02-2013 11:15 AM)KVron Wrote:  We live in an analog world, not in a digital one.
[Image: borg-in-alcove.jpg]
Grumpy Borg is grumpy. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
19-02-2013, 01:48 PM
(19-02-2013 01:24 PM)kim Wrote:  
(19-02-2013 11:15 AM)KVron Wrote:  We live in an analog world, not in a digital one.
[Image: borg-in-alcove.jpg]
Grumpy Borg is grumpy. Dodgy

[Image: 7of9_s7.jpg]

Sexy Borg is sexy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Interestingly, in people with certain neurological disorders, I do know through personal experience that intensity of emotion can trigger the effects of their disorder.

I've known a couple of people who have narcolepsy and when they experience extreme emotion of any kind, it can trigger their "sleep". It's not so much any certain kind of emotion, it's the extreme nature of it. One friend couldn't look at pictures of his kids for more than a few seconds or he would drop out. I could make another friend of mine drop out, just by making her laugh hysterically. I know that both of my friends were always kind of aloof around people they didn't know well - I could always tell they were just trying to maintain a balance with their emotions.

It's a very odd thing to observe the first time you see it. It's quite misunderstood and can be very debilitating for the person struggling with it.
The neurosciences are quite a wide open field tackling many fascinating disorders, many of which effect and are affected by emotion.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-02-2013, 02:02 PM
(19-02-2013 01:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sexy Borg is sexy. Drinking Beverage

Mm hm. Pretty sure Sexy Borg is a little lot more more sexy than Borg. Dodgy

19-02-2013, 03:12 PM
This is a tough one to answer. Mine are ON/OFF but with various intensities:

Over 95% of the time I'm content in my emotional state... Or lack of emotional state?

I almost never get angry or sad. Of the 4 times I remember feeling sadness, it felt like it was coming from all over my body, moving inwards and up through the my chest and as it reached my throat, it disipated almost immediately. The whole event usually takes less than 6 seconds, and then I revert to my usual state.

Happiness is much more common, and in its lower intensities, is hard to tell when or how it starts/stops, but is much the same as sadness in its higher intensities, the same rising feeling through my chest and into my throat. Although, it usually lasts much longer than what I associate as negative emotions. I have had more tears from happiness than sadness.
19-02-2013, 08:53 PM
(19-02-2013 03:12 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  This is a tough one to answer. Mine are ON/OFF but with various intensities:
Ok, what do you understand by "ON" and "OFF"?

Here an analogy using electronics:

In logic, ON is 1 (or a presence of voltaje).
OFF is a 0 (no voltaje).

But even in electronics, ON and OFF are finely defined by voltaje levels:
From 0 to 2 volts, it is considered a 0 (OFF).
From 3 to 5, 1 (ON).
Something between 2 and 3 volts is considered an anomaly or noise but at the end, it will be
considered 1 or 0, unpredictably and possibly inconsistently.

Same thing here. We may perceive we are sad, happy, etc. depending on how much neurotransmitters
play with our neurons. In our case, the ON/OFF triggers are completely subjective. We don't have a
voltmeter-like sensor to know exactly when we are sad or happy or even both, or how much.

To an external observer who knows how we behave under certain circumstances we may look angry but we
may not feel that angry yet.

Without sensors inside our heads, the most accurate we can really be is "I feel a little sad", "I feel ver happy",
etc. but speaking of absolute ON/OFF is nonsense to me.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
19-02-2013, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 08:59 PM by KVron.)
(19-02-2013 01:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: 7of9_s7.jpg]

Sexy Borg is sexy. Drinking Beverage
I feel I'm in love Heart Drooling

Love emotion is definitely ON

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
20-02-2013, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2013 02:14 AM by GirlyMan.)
(14-02-2013 05:19 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 05:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  For some of us they are all just on or off, all or nothing. Experience that shit fully. Milk that shit for all it's motherfucking worth while you have the chance. Be here motherfucking now. For others, not so much. No biggie either way. So fucking what?

I was intrigued by this. Emotions in my subjective experience can vary in intensity. I assumed this was the case for everyone.

Bipolars are blessed with easy access to readily experience the extremes. ... And the extremes are a lot more interesting. Can't really be bothered with the intermediate shit. Most times we prefer to hover near the mean cause when we get a stddev away or so we're gonna bolt to the extreme. ... It's always interesting but takes a bit of work to come back.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
20-02-2013, 01:49 PM
(20-02-2013 02:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 05:19 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  I was intrigued by this. Emotions in my subjective experience can vary in intensity. I assumed this was the case for everyone.

Bipolars are blessed with easy access to readily experience the extremes. ... And the extremes are a lot more interesting. Can't really be bothered with the intermediate shit. Most times we prefer to hover near the mean cause when we get a stddev away or so we're gonna bolt to the extreme. ... It's always interesting but takes a bit of work to come back.
So if your happy your practically jumping with joy (ecstatic), and if your sad your bawling?

There is no point where you just feel kinda sad or upset, and no point where your just happily content?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

24-02-2013, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2013 04:09 AM by GirlyMan.)
(20-02-2013 01:49 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(20-02-2013 02:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bipolars are blessed with easy access to readily experience the extremes. ... And the extremes are a lot more interesting. Can't really be bothered with the intermediate shit. Most times we prefer to hover near the mean cause when we get a stddev away or so we're gonna bolt to the extreme. ... It's always interesting but takes a bit of work to come back.
So if your happy your practically jumping with joy (ecstatic), and if your sad your bawling?

There is no point where you just feel kinda sad or upset, and no point where your just happily content?

Not really, I guess I would call the lack of the presence of either of those extremes contentment. I mean, I guess I do. ... Amusement on the other hand, well she's an entirely different kinda party girl.

Breathing - it's more art than science.