Empaths

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Empaths
So, I've got a couple of friends who claim to be "empaths." I hadn't heard this term until I met them, and even after they used it, I didn't fully realize what they meant. I assumed they just meant "I wear my heart on my sleeve and tend to be really influenced by someone. When they're happy, I tend to get really happy, and when they're sad, I kind of want to cry too." You know: sweet people who happen to be really sensitive to how others feel.

Then I had one of them explain it to me. Turns out it's a lot more woo-woo than that. An "empath" is an individual who claims to literally feel the emotions of others around them in real-time. Like, when they sit down next to someone who's harboring depression on the bus, they'll "absorb" their negative emotions and experience the depression with them. As my friends explained further, there are also "auras" that come into play. Yippidy-fuckin'-doo. Dodgy

So I see these two friends chatting on a FB post earlier this evening, and it's starting to make me cringe. They're sharing war stories of how much of a terrible struggle it is to be an empath and feel all these emotions all the time and how they can't control it, and the whole time I'm shaking my head because they're constantly reinforcing each other. Giving each other pro-tips on dealing with experiencing everyone's emotions and suggestions on how to more finely-tune their senses and other such bias-validating nonsense. It started driving me crazy, and though I was going to ignore it and walk away, it got to the point that I couldn't resist. So, I posted something.

"For the record, I've been suicidally depressed around each of you on three seperate occasions and we did nothing but laugh and joke around. Just throwin' that out there."

I knew what I'd done as soon as I did it, but there it was. I had to see it through. As expected, they jumped all over it with a bunch of excuses for why they blatantly didn't notice my well-repressed feelings of angst. One said she didn't want to be "disrespectful" by pointing out that I was secretly planning to blow my brains out that night. The other said she wasn't fully "in tune" with her gift after her "awakening" and thus didn't want to look like a moron if she was mistaken. To both of them, I asked why they would place possible embarrassment or respect above trying to save the life of a friend on their list of priorities. I could just picture them rubbing their necks awkwardly and glancing around the room as they mumbled their responses. It was amusing.

Anyway, I decided to try a little experiment with them. Try to psyche them out a bit and catch them slipping in their own bullshit. Because I hang out with the one more than the other (we'll call her Jane), I asked her if she ever felt any particularly distraught feelings/vibes while around me at any time. She said she couldn't think of a particular instance. So I asked about our most recent encounter this past week when I had dinner with her and her husband. Now, I was really hoping she'd say "Oh yeah, yeah, I felt some super intense depression coming from you," so that I could then admit that I was actually having a really good day that day. Sadly, she's a little sharper than I apparently give her credit for, so she started making more excuses to evade being wrong. "I might've picked up on something, but I don't know; it was a crowded restaurant and I was feeling a lot of things at once. I feel a million different emotions from a million different people every day. I'm not great at pin-pointing the source." Excuses which were expected from anyone who can't substantiate their bullshit, but no less disappointing. (I really wanted to stick it to her, dammit)

At this point, the second friend chimes in. We'll call her Susan. Apparently Susan not only feels emotions from others, but she can also see auras and, upon making physical contact with a person, even see into their personal lives and experiences. Susan has been at this for years, and she's alleged to have tuned her abilities to a fine point. So, I asked her input. First, I got a brief run-down on my aura colors.

"Your aura is a mesh of dark greens; oranges; a tiny bit of yellow. Florescent yellow. Some days you have more of brown and black but I have only seen grey around you a couple times."

Grey is apparently bad, by the way. Like, super negative. I have no clue what the others mean because I've been too busy researching the different weights/densities of unicorn sparkles to really dig into auras just yet, but I'll definitely look into it.

Anyway, Susan went on about how she needs to sit down with someone, hold their hands, gaze into their eyes and really focus on their "energy" in order to get a full reading of their emotions/experiences. (Which is odd, considering much earlier in the conversation she claimed it was as easy as bumping into someone in a crowded mall) So, I did what I usually do when presented with claims that so distinctly resemble bullshit and told her to prove it. We're soon to have a small get-together at her place to hang out and do a little aura-reading.

Before I go, I need some questions to ask her. Obviously I'll use my intuition and skepticism and simply ask the rational questions, but does anyone have any ideas? Anything you've always wanted to ask a woo-nut like this but never had the opportunity? I don't have a lot of experience with energy/aura/empaths, so I'm not sure what it's all about. I'll do my research, but any suggestions are welcome.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
23-03-2015, 03:10 AM
RE: Empaths
It's just like religion.

It's an ordinary, boring person who wants to think they're "special" - without actually doing something noteworthy.

Also - being nuttier than squirrel shit helps.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-03-2015, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 03:30 AM by One Above All.)
Try to look sad, but without looking like you're trying to look sad. Maybe talk in a low voice or lower your head a bit, appear disinterested in pretty much everything. Then wait for the conclusion only someone who knows what you're up to wouldn't make: you're sad. Afterward, tell them the truth. Show them this post as proof if you like.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
23-03-2015, 05:01 AM
Though people go overboard with their assessment of how empathic they are, the reality of how it works is quite similar to what they're describing. Feeling what others feel through mirror neurons is essentially how empathy works, and is an important part of neuroscience still being explored.

Mirror neuron - mirror system

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
23-03-2015, 05:10 AM
[Image: Jasper-Hale-jasper-hale-25402012-500-208.gif]

So what's this empath feeling?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
23-03-2015, 05:32 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 05:36 AM by yakherder.)
Not my strong point. I'm a different kind of *path on the opposite end of the spectrum. My mirror neurons are a bunch of lazy shits.

'Murican Canadian
23-03-2015, 05:42 AM
(23-03-2015 05:10 AM)Nurse Wrote:  [Image: Jasper-Hale-jasper-hale-25402012-500-208.gif]

For those of you that never read/watched a Twilight - that gif is of a vampire that's an "empath". I'm just pokin' fun at the empath woo.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
23-03-2015, 06:50 AM
(23-03-2015 05:42 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(23-03-2015 05:10 AM)Nurse Wrote:  [Image: Jasper-Hale-jasper-hale-25402012-500-208.gif]

For those of you that never read/watched a Twilight - that gif is of a vampire that's an "empath". I'm just pokin' fun at the empath woo.

Thanks, never saw or read anything "twilight" (thank god Big Grin).

This is what I picture when somebody says they are a real empath

[Image: theempathhd1141.jpg]

Some people are better at reading body language and picking up on voice inflections, etc, especially if they know the person well. There's no woo needed to explain any of it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-03-2015, 07:32 AM
(23-03-2015 06:50 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Some people are better at reading body language and picking up on voice inflections, etc, especially if they know the person well. There's no woo needed to explain any of it.

^ That.

On the other hand there's those of us who're so clueless we don't even know what *we're* thinking half the time Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-03-2015, 09:09 AM
That's pretty much what I was pinning it all on, too. We all read microscopic cues in body language every day. It's how we evolved. These people are just taking that natural tendency and mistaking it for something else entirely.

As for "swimming through an ocean of colors every day," as Susan put it, I'm sure a proper dose of meds will take care of that. lol

That's another thing these two were really vehement about. They told about how a bunch of mean ol' doctors tried to say they had "personality disorders and visual hallucinations and a bunch of stupid crap like that," but that they know the real truth about their abilities and they're not gonna let the Man keep them down! (There were several points during the conversation at which I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or throw up in my mouth)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post