Empathy?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Empathy?
I have heard several atheists here say something that I have never heard said before.

They have said that empathy is something you are either born with or not born with. You either have it by virtue of your physiological makeup or you do not.

Now people here have repeatedly said I lack empathy.

If the above is true then it is not something I was born with.

If I was not born with empathy, then why do you all think that I should be blamed and or punished for this lack?

Do you think blind men should be punished and blamed for not being able to see?

Do you think men that can see should be praised and rewarded for being able to see?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Jeremy E Walker's post
07-05-2014, 03:30 PM
RE: Empathy?
(07-05-2014 03:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I have heard several atheists here say something that I have never heard said before.

They have said that empathy is something you are either born with or not born with. You either have it by virtue of your physiological makeup or you do not.

If I was not born with empathy, then why do you all think that I should be blamed and or punished for this lack?

Do you think men that can see should be praised and rewarded for being able to see?

*sees post*

*sees rep*

*looks at related posts*

Laugh out load

Good luck, captain cub scout.
[+] 8 users Like Jasozz's post
07-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Damn, Balker is like a bad stomach virus that you just can't shake.

Going to take a dose of reason and rest for a while.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
07-05-2014, 03:42 PM
What, do you think this forum is your personal blog space, asshole?

[Image: go-fuck-yourself-disney-with-a-vengeance....gif?w=480]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
07-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Thinks...

Nice way to avoid cjlr's observation of straw-manning in your other thread by starting a nice clean thread (with, I guess, lots of fresh straw).

Dodgy

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
07-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Oh, Mr Rape Apologist is lookin' for sympathy now?

When you first came here I thought you were kooky but harmless. Now I think you're a douche. Go troll somewhere else. Twit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-05-2014, 03:50 PM
(07-05-2014 03:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Thinks...

Nice way to avoid cjlr's observation of straw-manning in your other thread by starting a nice clean thread (with, I guess, lots of fresh straw).

Dodgy

Defending the Bible is either blameworthy, praiseworthy or neither.

Now judging from the recent remarks made by some, I do not think that they would say that I have done something praiseworthy. And since the people in question have been quite adamant at letting me know how they feel, I doubt that the act of defending the bible would in their sight fall into the category of some sort of morally neutral act.

Just curious.
07-05-2014, 03:51 PM
(07-05-2014 03:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I have heard several atheists here say something that I have never heard said before.

Part of getting along in any society is to take steps not to harm other people. Though empathy seems to be something you either have or you don't, there is a level that can be learned. It depends on how much you want to get along in this world.

Blindness and empathy aren't even in the same realm. Using one to understand the other makes no sense. Your newest argument is invalid.

You either don't understand how your thread topics affect people or you don't care. If it's the former, maybe you can pay attention and learn. If it's the latter, you should expect people to be less than empathetic to you.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
07-05-2014, 03:55 PM
(07-05-2014 03:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Part of getting along in any society is to take steps not to harm other people. Though empathy seems to be something you either have or you don't, there is a level that can be learned. It depends on how much you want to get along in this world.

Blindness and empathy aren't even in the same realm. Using one to understand the other makes no sense. Your newest argument is invalid.

You either don't understand how your thread topics affect people or you don't care. If it's the former, maybe you can pay attention and learn. If it's the latter, you should expect people to be less than empathetic to you.

I should expect people who have been repeatedly telling me that I should be empathetic, to be less and less empathetic to me?

Gasp
[+] 1 user Likes Jeremy E Walker's post
07-05-2014, 03:55 PM
(07-05-2014 03:50 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Thinks...

Dodgy

Defending the Bible is either blameworthy, praiseworthy or neither.

Now judging from the recent remarks made by some, I do not think that they would say that I have done something praiseworthy. And since the people in question have been quite adamant at letting me know how they feel, I doubt that the act of defending the bible would in their sight fall into the category of some sort of morally neutral act.

Just curious.

I'd like to see people defend the bibles (and qurans) I find in my hotel rooms.

That's assuming that they can find them (and unfreeze them)

Smartass

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
Thread Closed