Empathy?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 06:05 PM
RE: Empathy?
(07-05-2014 05:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 05:51 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  According to you I have no duty to be sensitive. Being insensitive is neither good or bad, right or wrong. Blameworth or praiseworthy. I would not be more moral for being more sensitive.

According to you. Remember, morality is relative.

There is no duty or obligation. If you want to be a prick, go ahead. People won't want to interact with you and that is that. It's your choice.

Your first sentence contradicts your second sentence.
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 06:10 PM
(07-05-2014 06:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 05:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  There is no duty or obligation. If you want to be a prick, go ahead. People won't want to interact with you and that is that. It's your choice.

There is no contradiction there. It is four affirmative statements that aren't really related to each other. Incidentally they are all true, but even if they weren't they wouldn't be contradictory, just false.
[+] 4 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
07-05-2014, 06:12 PM
(07-05-2014 06:10 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Your first sentence contradicts your second sentence.

There is no contradiction there. It is four affirmative statements that aren't really related to each other. Incidentally they are all true, but even if they weren't they wouldn't be contradictory, just false.

Ask her why she thinks I am a prick Michael.
07-05-2014, 06:14 PM
(07-05-2014 06:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 05:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  There is no duty or obligation. If you want to be a prick, go ahead. People won't want to interact with you and that is that. It's your choice.

How? It's up to you whether you want to be a prick. If you choose it, there will be societal consequences. Nothing binds you - you don't get banned here for being a prick. There is no duty or obligation to be a decent human being. If you don't want to be one, you'll just deal with the consequences instead.

If you just want to offend people here, go ahead, and you can have a mud fight. If you want to rape someone, you'll go to jail if you do it.

You don't need a god to to tell you these things, life itself will teach you.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
07-05-2014, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 06:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-05-2014 05:47 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  why be empathetic?

No particular reason. It is a valuable trait to have for shrinks, therapists, docs in general and social workers though.

(07-05-2014 05:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  what obligates me to be civil for the mutual benefit of my community?

Not a goddam thing other than your own self-interest as the physicist has already pointed out to you.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
07-05-2014, 06:16 PM
(07-05-2014 06:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:10 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  There is no contradiction there. It is four affirmative statements that aren't really related to each other. Incidentally they are all true, but even if they weren't they wouldn't be contradictory, just false.

I didn't say you were. Don't put things in my mouth.

I said you could be one of you wanted to.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-05-2014, 06:17 PM
(07-05-2014 05:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 05:36 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Indeed. And self-interest is actually a pretty good proxy. Not that I'd expect otherwise from a social animal like ol' h-sap!

The existence of a criminal justice system already prevents the most egregiously unequal actions, but putting on even a minimal level of civility and reciprocity does wonders for easing interaction - to mutual benefit. That's kind of the definition of community.

what obligates me to be civil for the mutual benefit of my community?

Protip: mutual means good for you too.

Nothing obliges you - although your idiotic fixation with the word is charming, in a way - but even purely dissociated self-interest would suggest not needlessly antagonising those you are obligated to interact with.

Nice to see you being as shallowly disingenuous as ever, though. It's refreshing to know that even at rock bottom people can keep digging.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
07-05-2014, 06:18 PM
(07-05-2014 06:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:10 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  There is no contradiction there. It is four affirmative statements that aren't really related to each other. Incidentally they are all true, but even if they weren't they wouldn't be contradictory, just false.

You are confused about how we can call you a prick and still say that morality is subjective. There is still no contradiction. You are a smart guy jeremy, at this point its hard not to feel like your misinterpretation of the argument is willful.
[+] 3 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
07-05-2014, 06:20 PM
(07-05-2014 06:18 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Ask her why she thinks I am a prick Michael.

You are confused about how we can call you a prick and still say that morality is subjective. There is still no contradiction. You are a smart guy jeremy, at this point its hard not to feel like your misinterpretation of the argument is willful.

[Image: 5055032357_69d1d1be72.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-05-2014, 06:20 PM
(07-05-2014 06:18 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Ask her why she thinks I am a prick Michael.

That is ever the troll's dilemma. Stupid, or just dishonest?

... this is my signature!
Thread Closed