Empathy?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 06:23 PM
RE: Empathy?
(07-05-2014 06:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Your first sentence contradicts your second sentence.

How? It's up to you whether you want to be a prick. If you choose it, there will be societal consequences. Nothing binds you - you don't get banned here for being a prick. There is no duty or obligation to be a decent human being. If you don't want to be one, you'll just deal with the consequences instead.

If you just want to offend people here, go ahead, and you can have a mud fight. If you want to rape someone, you'll go to jail if you do it.

You don't need a god to to tell you these things, life itself will teach you.

Why am I a prick?
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 06:25 PM
(07-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  How? It's up to you whether you want to be a prick. If you choose it, there will be societal consequences. Nothing binds you - you don't get banned here for being a prick. There is no duty or obligation to be a decent human being. If you don't want to be one, you'll just deal with the consequences instead.

If you just want to offend people here, go ahead, and you can have a mud fight. If you want to rape someone, you'll go to jail if you do it.

Why am I a prick?

Would seem that's for you to answer.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-05-2014, 06:25 PM
(07-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  How? It's up to you whether you want to be a prick. If you choose it, there will be societal consequences. Nothing binds you - you don't get banned here for being a prick. There is no duty or obligation to be a decent human being. If you don't want to be one, you'll just deal with the consequences instead.

Why am I a prick?

I don't know, are you one?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-05-2014, 06:27 PM
(07-05-2014 06:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 05:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  what obligates me to be civil for the mutual benefit of my community?

Protip: mutual means good for you too.

Nothing obliges you - although your idiotic fixation with the word is charming, in a way - but even purely dissociated self-interest would suggest not needlessly antagonising those you are obligated to interact with.

Nice to see you being as shallowly disingenuous as ever, though. It's refreshing to know that even at rock bottom people can keep digging.

what obligates me to act out of self-interest?
07-05-2014, 06:29 PM
(07-05-2014 06:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Protip: mutual means good for you too.

Nothing obliges you - although your idiotic fixation with the word is charming, in a way - but even purely dissociated self-interest would suggest not needlessly antagonising those you are obligated to interact with.

Nice to see you being as shallowly disingenuous as ever, though. It's refreshing to know that even at rock bottom people can keep digging.

You are sure fixated on obligations and codes and whatnot. What's up with that?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-05-2014, 06:29 PM
(07-05-2014 06:18 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Ask her why she thinks I am a prick Michael.

You are confused about how we can call you a prick and still say that morality is subjective. There is still no contradiction. You are a smart guy jeremy, at this point its hard not to feel like your misinterpretation of the argument is willful.

how?
07-05-2014, 06:31 PM
(07-05-2014 06:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  what obligates me to act out of self-interest?

You are sure fixated on obligations and codes and whatnot. What's up with that?

You are fixated on them too. Most people here are.
07-05-2014, 06:34 PM
That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard anyone say about TTA.

Explain.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-05-2014, 06:36 PM
(07-05-2014 06:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Protip: mutual means good for you too.

Nothing. Nothing obligates you to act in any particular way. You are perfectly free to model your behavior and your morality on any subjective standard that you wish. This logically falls out of the subjective morality argument and you are correctly interpreting it.

Other then you don't want it to be true, what problem do you have with this implication?
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
07-05-2014, 06:41 PM
(07-05-2014 06:36 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  what obligates me to act out of self-interest?

Nothing. Nothing obligates you to act in any particular way. You are perfectly free to model your behavior and your morality on any subjective standard that you wish. This logically falls out of the subjective morality argument and you are correctly interpreting it.

Other then you don't want it to be true, what problem do you have with this implication?

I do not have a problem with its implications nor do I desire for moral relativism to be false.
Thread Closed