Empathy?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 06:45 PM
RE: Empathy?
(07-05-2014 06:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard anyone say about TTA.

Explain.

If you have ever used the words "improve" "progress", "better", "worse", "bad", "good", "evil", "should", "ought", "obligated", and the words were used in a moral context then you have spoken as a moral realist.
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 06:50 PM
(07-05-2014 06:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard anyone say about TTA.

Explain.

If you have ever used the words "improve" "progress", "better", "worse", "bad", "good", "evil", "should", "ought", "obligated", and the words were used in a moral context then you have spoken as a moral realist.

I don't use "obligated" or "evil", at least not in the sense most people use them. I actually don't think there is such a thing as evil.

The other words I do use - to describe how things measure up according to my own standards.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-05-2014, 06:52 PM
(07-05-2014 06:41 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:36 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Nothing. Nothing obligates you to act in any particular way. You are perfectly free to model your behavior and your morality on any subjective standard that you wish. This logically falls out of the subjective morality argument and you are correctly interpreting it.

Other then you don't want it to be true, what problem do you have with this implication?

I do not have a problem with its implications nor do I desire for moral relativism to be false.

Then I am confused, what is the purpose of your three threads discussing moral theory? Are you saying that you agree that morality does not come from either the bible or god?
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
07-05-2014, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 07:07 PM by Bucky Ball.)
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stop...stic-trait
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/antiso...-symptoms/
http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/12/...nions.html

Guess you don't even measure up to a rat then. Oh well. Maybe you have "theist personality disorder" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-05-2014, 07:01 PM
(07-05-2014 06:41 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I do not have a problem with its implications nor do I desire for moral relativism to be false.

Given your obsession with the subject, it's obvious that you do. The implications are that you are dead wrong. It has been demonstrated that even if morality is objective, then your god cannot be the arbiter of such morality because of his actions.

If your god cannot be the source of morality, he doesn't fit the definition of the god that you claim to worship. If that is the case, then logic would dictate that your concept of god does not exist. It is obvious that you have a problem with this, and you are desperately trying to find some way of justifying what you are claiming.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
07-05-2014, 07:02 PM
(07-05-2014 06:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If you have ever used the words "improve" "progress", "better", "worse", "bad", "good", "evil", "should", "ought", "obligated", and the words were used in a moral context then you have spoken as a moral realist.

I don't use "obligated" or "evil", at least not in the sense most people use them. I actually don't think there is such a thing as evil.

The other words I do use - to describe how things measure up according to my own standards.

Look at what you just wrote and think about the implications for a while.
07-05-2014, 07:05 PM
(07-05-2014 07:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 06:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't use "obligated" or "evil", at least not in the sense most people use them. I actually don't think there is such a thing as evil.

Look at what you just wrote and think about the implications for a while.

What do you think are the implications? I am getting tired of your asking questions. make some statements.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-05-2014, 07:15 PM
(07-05-2014 07:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 07:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Look at what you just wrote and think about the implications for a while.

What do you think are the implications? I am getting tired of your asking questions. make some statements.

At the very least, a textbook case of JAQing off serves to illustrate intellectual vacuity like few other courses.

So there's that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
07-05-2014, 07:16 PM
(07-05-2014 06:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  what obligates me to act out of self-interest?

Nothing.

Although it is trivially true that it is in your interest to act in your own interest.

Are you going somewhere with this?

My money's on no.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
07-05-2014, 08:32 PM
(07-05-2014 06:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  

Explain.

Nope. More presuppositionalist trash. One can have a scale of value(s) without morality. That which promotes a goal can be simply effective. That can be seen as either "bad" or good". That can also be ultimately effective, destructive, inefficient, wasteful, etc etc. That which promotes the survival of your group is what Evolution built into most humans. Individualism has not always been an unspoken premise.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
Thread Closed