Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-y...osed-bill/

Quote:Employers could impose hefty penalties on employees who decline to participate in genetic testing as part of workplace wellness programs if a bill approved by a U.S. House committee this week becomes law.

In general, employers don't have that power under existing federal laws, which protect genetic privacy and nondiscrimination. But a bill passed Wednesday by the House Committee on Education and the Workforce would allow employers to get around those obstacles if the information is collected as part of a workplace wellness program.

As someone who was born with a genetic disorder, WHY ME?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2017, 08:32 PM
RE: Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill
All I can do is laugh at how bad your healthcare system is.
Your system is so bad that you've found a way to empower (and further empower with this new bill) employers to actively dictate how their employees can live their own lives in order to save said employer money. "If you eat that burger you're fired" and now "if your great uncle twice removed had the lowest type of diabetes for a year of his life you're fired because you're costing me an extra 5c a year".

Lol!? 'Land of the free'. How the fuck do you people even say that with a straight face.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 7 users Like earmuffs's post
15-03-2017, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2017 08:40 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
RE: Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill
(15-03-2017 08:32 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  their
Lol!? 'Land of the free'. How the fuck do you people even say that with a straight face.

I don't. Tongue

Also I had zero control over this. I didn't vote in the previous elections because I was too young and uninformed. In this election, I obviously didn't vote for Trump.

[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
15-03-2017, 08:37 PM
(15-03-2017 08:32 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Lol!? 'Land of the free'. How the fuck do you people even say that with a straight face.

Freedom without equity is just giving opportunities to the rich and powerful to express and impose their desires. In that sense it's indeed the "Land of Free", but they forgot the part about equality and fraternity at various points.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
15-03-2017, 08:54 PM
[Image: Gattaca-Best-Sci-Fi-Movie.png]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Well damn, my grandfather has diabetes. This just sucks! Dodgy

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
16-03-2017, 12:50 AM
Sooner or later you guys are gonna have to learn some civilisation. I mean, what is this other than just naked greed?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
16-03-2017, 01:31 AM
Berlin 1937.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
16-03-2017, 09:04 AM
How does this not run straight up against HIPPA?
[+] 2 users Like deerseed's post
16-03-2017, 09:08 AM
I never thought I'd be saying that, but boy, I am so glad I am old.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post