Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 09:27 AM
RE: Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill
(16-03-2017 09:04 AM)deerseed Wrote:  How does this not run straight up against HIPPA?

It does, that is why they are changing the law.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2017, 09:35 AM
RE: Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill
Quote:A House committee spokeswoman told CNBC that those opposed to the bill “are spreading false information in a desperate attempt to deny employees the choice to participate in a voluntary program that can reduce health insurance costs and encourage healthy lifestyle choices.”

Holy fuck... it's not a voluntary program if your employer sticks you with a penalty fee of an extra 1/3 of your insurance premiums! The article says the average employer-sponsored healthcare premium is about $18k, and employees could be charged an additional $5k if they choose not to do the genetic testing. JFC! That's not a "choice". That's a choice between being able to feed and cloth your family or giving up your genetics to an organization that has an interest in using it against you!

If they are trying to reduce cost and improve productivity- obviously you fire the one with the bad genetics and pick the one with the good genetics.

Christ...

We are a free country but the freedom goes to the corporations. Not to the citizens.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
16-03-2017, 10:17 AM
So as I understand this bill it's an effort to either a) encourage healthy people to enroll by lowering their premiums, b) a measure to increase preventative care by identifying people who might be prone to problems and treating them earlier, or both.

I can't really fault either, is the problem. I understand the hesitation and discomfort, and I agree this should not be necessary. But this country is about to seriously fuck up our health care system even further. They need a way to slow the inevitable price hikes that will come as a result of the bill they are forcing through. This isn't sufficient, but it is an effort.
16-03-2017, 10:27 AM
(16-03-2017 10:17 AM)natachan Wrote:  So as I understand this bill it's an effort to either a) encourage healthy people to enroll by lowering their premiums, b) a measure to increase preventative care by identifying people who might be prone to problems and treating them earlier, or both.

I can't really fault either, is the problem. I understand the hesitation and discomfort, and I agree this should not be necessary. But this country is about to seriously fuck up our health care system even further. They need a way to slow the inevitable price hikes that will come as a result of the bill they are forcing through. This isn't sufficient, but it is an effort.

No, it's about filtering out people who are prone to genetic diseases from your employment. You instate a fee on people who refuse- then people whose health is already an issue are going to suffer because they're probably scared of losing coverage or being penalized for their genetics even further. The intent isn't to push people into a healthier life. The intent is to safe corporate money. Look at who benefits from it. Employees don't get extra benefits by partaking it. They get penalized if they refuse to.
[+] 4 users Like Emma's post
16-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Again, that's not how I read it. Those who partake get a discount. Those who don't participate do not get a discount. It's a semantic argument when you get down to it.

People who are not healthy are going to buy health care at whatever cost. People who are healthy can choose not to. If subsidies decrease and premiums go up (and they will) you need some way to bring in people who are healthy who would otherwise not participate. This is a poor way of doing it, granted, but it is one method.
16-03-2017, 10:41 AM
(16-03-2017 10:36 AM)natachan Wrote:  People who are not healthy are going to buy health care at whatever cost.

Not necessarily. Some of them are just going to die because they can't get insurance and the cost of health care is far more than they can afford. And that's a damn shame (maybe even a crime) in a so-called "civilized" country.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
16-03-2017, 10:45 AM
(16-03-2017 10:36 AM)natachan Wrote:  Again, that's not how I read it. Those who partake get a discount. Those who don't participate do not get a discount. It's a semantic argument when you get down to it.

People who are not healthy are going to buy health care at whatever cost. People who are healthy can choose not to. If subsidies decrease and premiums go up (and they will) you need some way to bring in people who are healthy who would otherwise not participate. This is a poor way of doing it, granted, but it is one method.

That's like calling it a sale when a store raises the sticker price on merchandise and then offering a 20% off sale. They aren't actually reducing the price, but they are getting new people to come in because of the sale. It's not a real deal.

The cost for employer-provided healthcare right now averages at $18K. They could charge up to an extra $5k to anyone who refuses to give up their genetic information. How is that reducing premiums when everyone else simply stays where they're at right now? Even if they are reduced, you would give them credit for some sort of positive intent when they are increasing the cost for people with health care issues that are already suffering the burden of the added cost of paying their health care bills?

I give them no benefit of the doubt. This is not about helping people reduce premiums. It's about helping the big corporations.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
16-03-2017, 10:54 AM
I don't assume that the people behind this are evil. I think they're wrong.

The store is about to see a dramatic rise in their supply costs. In order to keep prices manageable they need the economics of scale. But the increase in price will drive away people. So they offer a sale to attract more people. The price stays the same, but they keep their customers.
16-03-2017, 10:55 AM
(16-03-2017 10:41 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 10:36 AM)natachan Wrote:  People who are not healthy are going to buy health care at whatever cost.

Not necessarily. Some of them are just going to die because they can't get insurance and the cost of health care is far more than they can afford. And that's a damn shame (maybe even a crime) in a so-called "civilized" country.

This is the crux of the issue.
Too many people in the US now view healthcare as a privilege. When the fuck did this happen??

Do they not realize healthcare industry lobbyists have been infiltrating the government for years? They are profiting hand over fist, while the costs are skyrocketing and employers are raising deductibles and copays for employees.

"A Salon analysis of regulatory filings found that the top five health insurers — UnitedHealth, Anthem, Aetna, Humana and Cigna — have doled out nearly $30 billion in stock buybacks and dividends from 2013 to 2015."

THIRTY FUCKING BILLION DOLLARS.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
16-03-2017, 11:08 AM
(16-03-2017 10:55 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 10:41 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Not necessarily. Some of them are just going to die because they can't get insurance and the cost of health care is far more than they can afford. And that's a damn shame (maybe even a crime) in a so-called "civilized" country.

This is the crux of the issue.
Too many people in the US now view healthcare as a privilege. When the fuck did this happen??

Do they not realize healthcare industry lobbyists have been infiltrating the government for years? They are profiting hand over fist, while the costs are skyrocketing and employers are raising deductibles and copays for employees.

"A Salon analysis of regulatory filings found that the top five health insurers — UnitedHealth, Anthem, Aetna, Humana and Cigna — have doled out nearly $30 billion in stock buybacks and dividends from 2013 to 2015."

THIRTY FUCKING BILLION DOLLARS.

I think it was Nixon that sold us out to private health care insurance companies. If I recall correctly.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post