Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 11:50 AM
RE: Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill
(16-03-2017 11:32 AM)natachan Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 11:16 AM)kim Wrote:  So, say you are with a company who pays half your insurance premium. They offer to pay 80% if you do genetic testing. You say, "Yes, please.".

Your tests return and that test puts you in a high risk category for a long term illness. (Being female of childbearing age won't even be included in this genetic assessment but uh, strike two)

Has the bottom line moved? Sure.
It has moved from:
We have a productive employee we only have to partially pay insurance for.

to:
We have a potentially high risk, long term liability.

What to do, what to do? Consider

So if what you're implying is that they'd fire the employee or take some other negative action we get into very dangerous territory. Because that would be MASSIVELY illegal.

My father is a corporate lawyer. He's also a communist. Let's just say, he and I disagree a lot. We talked recently about something similar. If your company fired you or let you go following a negative result from a genetic test (or some type of surgery, or because of some health problem), they would be liable for an incredible amount of damages. I cannot stress this enough, the law is VERY clear about this and they would be in a LOT of trouble. The case he and I are discussing could cost the business its license, and it's over one employee. Imagine if this was ten workers, or one hundred.

I don't like how our current system is set up. But I value being fair and accurate. I am not going to accuse the people who wrote this of trying to cow tow to corporations so they can screw over disabled persons, especially when the law is already very clear on that. They might be, I don't know. But I don't ascribe negative intent when I have reason to suspect otherwise.
Gotta say I think it's a little naive to think that this can't or doesn't happen frequently, its just most employers aren't stupid enough to outright say it is due to health. If the employer considers you a liability, they will find a valid reason to dismiss you somehow. And that is coming from someone in the UK, where there are far more protections for the employee, than in the US.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like ukatheist's post
16-03-2017, 04:15 PM
RE: Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill
(16-03-2017 10:55 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Do they not realize healthcare industry lobbyists have been infiltrating the government for years? They are profiting hand over fist, while the costs are skyrocketing and employers are raising deductibles and copays for employees.
I have no special love for the insurance industry, but I can't lay 100% of the responsibility for this at their door, either. I've worked for social service agencies where workers insisted that their health plans included support for "alternative" health care. This translated into things like acupuncture, naturopathy, massage, aroma therapy, and homeopathy. The insurers were happy to provide coverage for all these things for a price -- about 30% more than the standard package.

Now, I appreciate a good massage as much as the next person, but I don't really feel like it needs to be a part of my health plan. And homeopathy? Why not demand coverage for copper bracelets, magic amulets, and the laying-on of hands, while we're at it?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post