Encountered some really disconcerting willful ignorance!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Encountered some really disconcerting willful ignorance!
Right I'm really quite wound up at the moment after experiencing the willfully ignorant prejudice of the members of a firearm forum some of whom could quite fairly be called "Wingnuts".

I happened upon the site after doing some research into the respective advantages and disadvantages of the Avro Lancaster as compared to the B17 but my attention was caught by the presence of a religious section full of ideas that I don't need to tell you are pretty fringe - e.g Obama being the anti christ and the suchlike.

Presented with such a profusion of ignorance and the occasional spot of outright misinformation I thought I'd register and just try and offer a dissenting opinion, what could be wrong with that? After all it was on that forum that they so celebrated the notion of freedom.

Unfortunately it seems that freedom stops at the point at which you start asking questions that make someone uncomfortable or you challenge a fallacious and poorly thought out line of argument and after making the grand total of 7 posts I was banned for the heinous crime of trolling when I personally think I did nothing of the sort.

At the end of the day it is a private forum and they can have who they wish but the fact that I was banned without warning and then had my character attacked whilst I was unable to respond really irks me! Moreover I'm upset because nowhere in what I wrote do I think I earned the title of troll.

Here is the forum - http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/index.php

If you go to the religious section and look specifically at the threads regarding free will & omniscience, circumcision (page 5) and the one called "This made the back of my hair standup" (last page) I'd be interested to see what you think - did I do anything other than hold a contrary viewpoint?

I would ask that if you do decide to register please don't actually troll them and give some kind of credence to their delusion!

Phew, thanks for reading guys Blush !

Goose

"If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane." - Robert Green Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2012, 07:25 AM
RE: Encountered some really disconcerting willful ignorance!
So you walked into a firearm forum and got shot down... you're not really that surprised, right?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-07-2012, 07:25 AM
n00b. Tongue

The only place you can actually talk about religion is an atheist forum. Yeah, humanity is fucked up like that. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-07-2012, 07:32 AM
(02-07-2012 07:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So you walked into a firearm forum and got shot down... you're not really that surprised, right?
I at least expected to have the points I made actually addressed so I suppose that does make me a bit of a fool eh? Big Grin

Nice pun by the way! Tongue

@houseofcantor

It seems that I can't retroactively quote you without HTML lark so I'd say that I do actually know of some good non specifically atheist forums where believers/non believers can discuss stuff - The Historum for example but I would agree you seem to find more fertile grounds for discussion amongst the free thinking community Big Grin!

Do you guys think I did anything which warranted a ban (assuming you've had a look at what was written?)

"If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane." - Robert Green Ingersoll
02-07-2012, 07:35 AM
What is it about American's and their penile extensions gun s?

A forum that has a "chaplain" is umm.....just umm.

We need a chaplain. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
02-07-2012, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2012 07:47 AM by Goose Springsteen.)
(02-07-2012 07:35 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What is it about American's and their penile extensions gun s?

A forum that has a "chaplain" is umm.....just umm.

We need a chaplain. Weeping
Funnily enough I've heard of humanist chaplains in the military who essentially take that role because it's a loophole that allows them to give secular advice and guidance to people!

Edit: Formatting is screwing up for some reason!

02-07-2012, 07:41 AM
"American's?" "gun s?" The fuck, Buck, having a grammar meltdown? Big Grin

And no, I didn't look, 'cause I'd get pissed off. I just assume. Prolly wouldn't do that if I was ever wrong about that kinda shit...

02-07-2012, 08:02 AM
(02-07-2012 07:32 AM)Goose Springsteen Wrote:  ...assuming you've had a look at what was written?
Sorry, I didn't look cos I've just had a shower.

02-07-2012, 08:24 AM
(02-07-2012 08:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-07-2012 07:32 AM)Goose Springsteen Wrote:  ...assuming you've had a look at what was written?
Sorry, I didn't look cos I've just had a shower.
Would you care to take a peak I'd like some other perspectives on this whole shaboodle! Smile

02-07-2012, 08:34 AM
(02-07-2012 08:24 AM)Goose Springsteen Wrote:  
(02-07-2012 08:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Sorry, I didn't look cos I've just had a shower.
Would you care to take a peak I'd like some other perspectives on this whole shaboodle! Smile
Fine! Whining little limey... Big Grin

Religious discussions (8 viewing)... prolly 7 from this place. Tongue

So... I read it, I got mad, they're a bunch of inbred redneck ignoramuses. There. You happy now?

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post