Encountered some really disconcerting willful ignorance!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2012, 08:47 AM
RE: Encountered some really disconcerting willful ignorance!
(02-07-2012 08:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-07-2012 08:24 AM)Goose Springsteen Wrote:  Would you care to take a peak I'd like some other perspectives on this whole shaboodle! Smile
Fine! Whining little limey... Big Grin

Religious discussions (8 viewing)... prolly 7 from this place. Tongue

So... I read it, I got mad, they're a bunch of inbred redneck ignoramuses. There. You happy now?
Exceedingly so!

"If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane." - Robert Green Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't even have to read the forum to know what you're dealing with.

I'm actually a regular on another firearms forum which in in my estimation the best one I've ever come across. (texasguntalk.com)

The discussion of firearms is hard to separate from a discussion of politics. There are always dumbasses that think that the Constitutional right to bear arms is given to them by God and they bring that kind of crap up in a discussion, but there really isn't much that can be done for willful ignorance.

Anyway, I've met a lot of great people both atheist and theist through the website I mentioned before. Not everyone that owns guns is an unthinking inbred redneck as some ignorant person stated previously in this thread.
[+] 1 user Likes StatiK's post
02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
(02-07-2012 11:26 AM)StatiK Wrote:  Not everyone that owns guns is an unthinking inbred redneck as some ignorant person stated previously in this thread.
That's not what he said. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
(02-07-2012 11:26 AM)StatiK Wrote:  Not everyone that owns guns is an unthinking inbred redneck as some ignorant person stated previously in this thread.

"They're" refers to Jack and the mod in the thread and, of course, is just smack-talk. Besides, I didn't say "unthinking." Although, I prolly should have. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
(02-07-2012 11:26 AM)StatiK Wrote:  I don't even have to read the forum to know what you're dealing with.

I'm actually a regular on another firearms forum which in in my estimation the best one I've ever come across. (texasguntalk.com)

The discussion of firearms is hard to separate from a discussion of politics. There are always dumbasses that think that the Constitutional right to bear arms is given to them by God and they bring that kind of crap up in a discussion, but there really isn't much that can be done for willful ignorance.

Anyway, I've met a lot of great people both atheist and theist through the website I mentioned before. Not everyone that owns guns is an unthinking inbred redneck as some ignorant person stated previously in this thread.
Thanks for the reply mate I might have to check that website out because whilst I don't personally own any firearms (bloody hard to get one in the UK) I do have a strong interest in them - particularly bolt action rifles so I'd love to shoot the shit with the guys who appreciate a good Enfield, Mosin or Mauser.

"If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane." - Robert Green Ingersoll
03-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Goose - they have the mentality of "If you're not with us, you're against us" - simple as that

They didn't seem to have the brain power to look beyond what they already knew and held to be true, regardless of the facts.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
05-07-2012, 08:14 AM
(02-07-2012 11:35 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

"They're" refers to Jack and the mod in the thread and, of course, is just smack-talk. Besides, I didn't say "unthinking." Although, I prolly should have. Tongue

I didn't read your comment closely enough. Although, I prolly should have. Wink

Goose Springsteen Wrote:Thanks for the reply mate I might have to check that website out because whilst I don't personally own any firearms (bloody hard to get one in the UK) I do have a strong interest in them - particularly bolt action rifles so I'd love to shoot the shit with the guys who appreciate a good Enfield, Mosin or Mauser.

You have good taste in firearms! Mosins are a blast to shoot (no pun intended)! If you ever find yourself in Texas I can put you in touch with some people who have great bolt action rifles or the craziest Class III stuff that anti-gun people shit themselves over. lol
10-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Sup bro, we should get together
(02-07-2012 07:18 AM)Goose Springsteen Wrote:  Right I'm really quite wound up at the moment after experiencing the willfully ignorant prejudice of the members of a firearm forum some of whom could quite fairly be called "Wingnuts".

I happened upon the site after doing some research into the respective advantages and disadvantages of the Avro Lancaster as compared to the B17 but my attention was caught by the presence of a religious section full of ideas that I don't need to tell you are pretty fringe - e.g Obama being the anti christ and the suchlike.

Presented with such a profusion of ignorance and the occasional spot of outright misinformation I thought I'd register and just try and offer a dissenting opinion, what could be wrong with that? After all it was on that forum that they so celebrated the notion of freedom.

Unfortunately it seems that freedom stops at the point at which you start asking questions that make someone uncomfortable or you challenge a fallacious and poorly thought out line of argument and after making the grand total of 7 posts I was banned for the heinous crime of trolling when I personally think I did nothing of the sort.

At the end of the day it is a private forum and they can have who they wish but the fact that I was banned without warning and then had my character attacked whilst I was unable to respond really irks me! Moreover I'm upset because nowhere in what I wrote do I think I earned the title of troll.

Here is the forum - http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/index.php

If you go to the religious section and look specifically at the threads regarding free will & omniscience, circumcision (page 5) and the one called "This made the back of my hair standup" (last page) I'd be interested to see what you think - did I do anything other than hold a contrary viewpoint?

I would ask that if you do decide to register please don't actually troll them and give some kind of credence to their delusion!

Phew, thanks for reading guys Blush !

Goose

"'Tis the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it." - Aristotle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPqksG9nbA