End of Life Clutter, Crap, Stuff & Purging

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2017, 07:29 PM
End of Life Clutter, Crap, Stuff & Purging
It’s been a long three weeks preparing to have an estate sale and getting the in-law’s house ready for sale. If you have kids and want to get back at them keep everything you ever buy, stuff it in closets, the garage and the attic and then make sure you croak during the hottest summer or coldest winter. Angry

My in-laws never threw anything away, children of the depression and very modest childhoods is what I’m blaming it on. Some of the things we’ve come across can be seen here https://www.estatesales.net/AL/Fairhope/36532/1406889

What you don’t see is the stuff taken that is gone via the 14 trips to the dump, the 3 trips to Goodwill and the 2 U-Haul trucks. I had to shred check stubs, tax returns, invoices, bank statements and investment statements back to 1975! Fuck-a-duck. I couldn’t just toss them out either because I would find photos, hand written letters and memorabilia sandwiched in between the files.

Items not photographed:
6 vacuum cleaners
125mm brass casing, 3 feet tall and weighing 25-30 pounds.
WWII Japanese bayonet
10 empty metal ammo boxes
3 foot lockers
Boxes and boxes of mason jars (threw out pickled okra from 1988, jams from 1982...)
Cans of food with expiration dates in the 90’s and 00’s
Lawnmower, assorted lawn tools, 6 ax handles without ax head.
Antique tools
20+ scissors
20+ nail clippers
Pith helmet
Liquor (case of Dewars White Label, 2 Chivas Regal, assorted vodka and rum)
Rodents in sticky traps
Fox stoles
Steel combination safe, weight 80 lbs
- inside we found besides warranty deeds, marriage licenses, birth certificates and assorted paperwork, a $20 gold piece, 30 year $1000 treasury bond from 1982 (this means it stopped making interest in 2012) and a few nice pieces of jewelry, a cheap 5 round revolver.
Tons of cheap jewelry
20 lineal feet of slide carousels (wife is now going through them and scanning some vintage photos of when she was growing up - the real treasure) Thumbsup

You get the picture. Then we got home and unpacked the things we didn’t want to get rid off and had to make space for them, today was our second full day of doing this.

So my advice to all of you is, if your parents are old and still alive make sure all the paperwork is in order (trust, wills, probate-avoiding documentation), beg them to start selling or throwing shit away and in the name of all that is unholy have them identify the people in all the old photos and if possible have them record stories of their lives, you’ll be glad you did.

Or just set fire to the house, it’ll save you lots of time. Evil_monster

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
07-01-2017, 07:37 PM
RE: End of Life Clutter, Crap, Stuff & Purging
I'm planting random shit just to entertain myself after death. I won't just be "looking down". I'll be laughing my ass off as my kids stumble across the surprises I intend to leave.

'Murican Canadian
07-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Other than tools and photographs, my dad had just the essentials. He hated clutter. It sure made it easier to close up and sell his place.

My husband's grandparents were packrats almost to the point of hoarding. The family was literally filling up the grandfather's dump truck in an attempt to clean out the house. It was awful. The new sun room they built some years back was never used for anyone to sit in and enjoy. It was like a vacuum that sucked in more miscellaneous crap. Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
07-01-2017, 07:42 PM
I’m going minimalist from here on out. Today I threw out personal stuff I had been storing for sentimental reasons because I remembered how my in-laws kept the same kind of things and they all ended up being tossed. Better now than later.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-01-2017, 08:28 PM
My husband's a packrat. I'm a thrower-awayer of things. When he's not looking I throw stuff away. He had about 40 Maxim magazines and a whole crap load of Playgirls in a box in the bottom of the closet under a whole bunch of other crap. I threw about 2/3ds of them away, still leaving a lot of masterbating magazines for him. (aren't I nice)

He keeps old receipts for everything he buys at the store. Even gum receipts. He keeps old shoes that no longer fit him. Pants that no longer fit him......well (snark.... Tongue ) he THINKS he's keeping all this stuff but in reality they've all been thrown away. Evil_monster

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-01-2017, 08:56 PM
I looked through your photos. Sometimes I watch Antiques Roadshow and people bring in the ugliest stuff. Sometimes he uglier the stuff is the more it's worth. Those Bosson chalkware things are pretty ugly....ugly enough to be worth something.

The hand woven wool rug might be worth something. Depends on how old it is.

Are you going to sell this stuff yourself or pay someone else to maybe auction it off.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-01-2017, 08:56 PM
(07-01-2017 08:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband's a packrat. I'm a thrower-awayer of things. When he's not looking I throw stuff away. He had about 40 Maxim magazines and a whole crap load of Playgirls in a box in the bottom of the closet under a whole bunch of other crap. I threw about 2/3ds of them away, still leaving a lot of masterbating magazines for him. (aren't I nice)

He keeps old receipts for everything he buys at the store. Even gum receipts. He keeps old shoes that no longer fit him. Pants that no longer fit him......well (snark.... Tongue ) he THINKS he's keeping all this stuff but in reality they've all been thrown away. Evil_monster

Shame on the playboys those can be worth a few thousand dollars if they are older more desirable ones and in good condition.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-01-2017, 09:07 PM
(07-01-2017 08:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 08:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband's a packrat. I'm a thrower-awayer of things. When he's not looking I throw stuff away. He had about 40 Maxim magazines and a whole crap load of Playgirls in a box in the bottom of the closet under a whole bunch of other crap. I threw about 2/3ds of them away, still leaving a lot of masterbating magazines for him. (aren't I nice)

Shame on the playboys those can be worth a few thousand dollars if they are older more desirable ones and in good condition.

The centerfold pages are all stuck together. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-01-2017, 09:13 PM
It's hard. Going through this now..well, starting to.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

07-01-2017, 09:20 PM
(07-01-2017 07:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  It’s been a long three weeks preparing to have an estate sale and getting the in-law’s house ready for sale. If you have kids and want to get back at them keep everything you ever buy, stuff it in closets, the garage and the attic and then make sure you croak during the hottest summer or coldest winter. Angry

My in-laws never threw anything away, children of the depression and very modest childhoods is what I’m blaming it on. Some of the things we’ve come across can be seen here https://www.estatesales.net/AL/Fairhope/36532/1406889

What you don’t see is the stuff taken that is gone via the 14 trips to the dump, the 3 trips to Goodwill and the 2 U-Haul trucks. I had to shred check stubs, tax returns, invoices, bank statements and investment statements back to 1975! Fuck-a-duck. I couldn’t just toss them out either because I would find photos, hand written letters and memorabilia sandwiched in between the files.

Items not photographed:
6 vacuum cleaners
125mm brass casing, 3 feet tall and weighing 25-30 pounds.
WWII Japanese bayonet
10 empty metal ammo boxes
3 foot lockers
Boxes and boxes of mason jars (threw out pickled okra from 1988, jams from 1982...)
Cans of food with expiration dates in the 90’s and 00’s
Lawnmower, assorted lawn tools, 6 ax handles without ax head.
Antique tools
20+ scissors
20+ nail clippers
Pith helmet
Liquor (case of Dewars White Label, 2 Chivas Regal, assorted vodka and rum)
Rodents in sticky traps
Fox stoles
Steel combination safe, weight 80 lbs
- inside we found besides warranty deeds, marriage licenses, birth certificates and assorted paperwork, a $20 gold piece, 30 year $1000 treasury bond from 1982 (this means it stopped making interest in 2012) and a few nice pieces of jewelry, a cheap 5 round revolver.
Tons of cheap jewelry
20 lineal feet of slide carousels (wife is now going through them and scanning some vintage photos of when she was growing up - the real treasure) Thumbsup

You get the picture. Then we got home and unpacked the things we didn’t want to get rid off and had to make space for them, today was our second full day of doing this.

So my advice to all of you is, if your parents are old and still alive make sure all the paperwork is in order (trust, wills, probate-avoiding documentation), beg them to start selling or throwing shit away and in the name of all that is unholy have them identify the people in all the old photos and if possible have them record stories of their lives, you’ll be glad you did.

Or just set fire to the house, it’ll save you lots of time. Evil_monster

I know what you mean. We had to clean out my mother's house after she died. She did "refunding" with can labels and box tops. We found 9 Mr Coffee machines in one closet. It took 5 weekends of garage sales to eliminate the goods, and what hadn't sold got donated. Then the inside and outside had to be cleaned and painted. There was a big dumpster in the mix, too.

After my father in law died, we moved my mother in law in with us. We emptied her house of furniture by donation and put the rest in storage (or in our house Dodgy ). Our place looks like a bomb hit it. We cleaned her place up and painted the interior, and put in new carpet, so that we can rent it out. She's got dementia and Alzheimer's; it's currently pretty much under control with medication, but she can't live alone or untended. I can split for a couple of hours, but don't want her making her own meals without someone around. There have been a couple of accidents, so we make sure she's attended most of the day especially with cooking or using faucets. I've come home to find stove burners and faucets running. Sad