End of Life Clutter, Crap, Stuff & Purging

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2017, 09:25 PM
RE: End of Life Clutter, Crap, Stuff & Purging
(07-01-2017 08:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 08:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband's a packrat. I'm a thrower-awayer of things. When he's not looking I throw stuff away. He had about 40 Maxim magazines and a whole crap load of Playgirls in a box in the bottom of the closet under a whole bunch of other crap. I threw about 2/3ds of them away, still leaving a lot of masterbating magazines for him. (aren't I nice)

He keeps old receipts for everything he buys at the store. Even gum receipts. He keeps old shoes that no longer fit him. Pants that no longer fit him......well (snark.... Tongue ) he THINKS he's keeping all this stuff but in reality they've all been thrown away. Evil_monster

Shame on the playboys those can be worth a few thousand dollars if they are older more desirable ones and in good condition.

Nah, the Playboys are from about 10 years ago.

He keeps getting Maxim magazines every month so there's an endless supply. He claims he'll read them all some day when he retires. That'll be in about 12 years. Dodgy There ain't no way I'm keeping a 12 year supply of Maxim's around this house.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2017, 11:22 PM
Five years ago after my dad's death, when my mom was preparing to sell her house and move in with me, I helped unclutter.

A whole garage full of water-damaged computer gear went to the dump, and it took a while to sort through all the papers, but the one thing that actually made me angry was the collection of assorted rusty nuts and bolts and nails and screws that was sorted into plastic cups. I dumped all that crap into the garbage, cups and all, swearing constantly.

I was already heading towards minimalism, but that pushed me right over the edge. With the exception of the kitchen and my daughter's suite upstairs, I could probably pack and clear any room in the house in an hour or less.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
07-01-2017, 11:49 PM
(07-01-2017 08:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I looked through your photos. Sometimes I watch Antiques Roadshow and people bring in the ugliest stuff. Sometimes he uglier the stuff is the more it's worth. Those Bosson chalkware things are pretty ugly....ugly enough to be worth something.

The hand woven wool rug might be worth something. Depends on how old it is.

Are you going to sell this stuff yourself or pay someone else to maybe auction it off.

They are professionals that do this for a living, their cut is 30%.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-01-2017, 11:52 PM
(07-01-2017 11:22 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Five years ago after my dad's death, when my mom was preparing to sell her house and move in with me, I helped unclutter.

A whole garage full of water-damaged computer gear went to the dump, and it took a while to sort through all the papers, but the one thing that actually made me angry was the collection of assorted rusty nuts and bolts and nails and screws that was sorted into plastic cups. I dumped all that crap into the garbage, cups and all, swearing constantly.

I was already heading towards minimalism, but that pushed me right over the edge. With the exception of the kitchen and my daughter's suite upstairs, I could probably pack and clear any room in the house in an hour or less.

I feel you, I threw away enough rusty nails, screws and miscellaneous hardware to build a house.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-01-2017, 02:28 AM
(07-01-2017 07:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  It’s been a long three weeks preparing to have an estate sale and getting the in-law’s house ready for sale. If you have kids and want to get back at them keep everything you ever buy, stuff it in closets, the garage and the attic and then make sure you croak during the hottest summer or coldest winter. Angry

My in-laws never threw anything away, children of the depression and very modest childhoods is what I’m blaming it on. Some of the things we’ve come across can be seen here https://www.estatesales.net/AL/Fairhope/36532/1406889

What you don’t see is the stuff taken that is gone via the 14 trips to the dump, the 3 trips to Goodwill and the 2 U-Haul trucks. I had to shred check stubs, tax returns, invoices, bank statements and investment statements back to 1975! Fuck-a-duck. I couldn’t just toss them out either because I would find photos, hand written letters and memorabilia sandwiched in between the files.

Items not photographed:
6 vacuum cleaners
125mm brass casing, 3 feet tall and weighing 25-30 pounds.
WWII Japanese bayonet
10 empty metal ammo boxes
3 foot lockers
Boxes and boxes of mason jars (threw out pickled okra from 1988, jams from 1982...)
Cans of food with expiration dates in the 90’s and 00’s
Lawnmower, assorted lawn tools, 6 ax handles without ax head.
Antique tools
20+ scissors
20+ nail clippers
Pith helmet
Liquor (case of Dewars White Label, 2 Chivas Regal, assorted vodka and rum)
Rodents in sticky traps
Fox stoles
Steel combination safe, weight 80 lbs
- inside we found besides warranty deeds, marriage licenses, birth certificates and assorted paperwork, a $20 gold piece, 30 year $1000 treasury bond from 1982 (this means it stopped making interest in 2012) and a few nice pieces of jewelry, a cheap 5 round revolver.
Tons of cheap jewelry
20 lineal feet of slide carousels (wife is now going through them and scanning some vintage photos of when she was growing up - the real treasure) Thumbsup

You get the picture. Then we got home and unpacked the things we didn’t want to get rid off and had to make space for them, today was our second full day of doing this.

So my advice to all of you is, if your parents are old and still alive make sure all the paperwork is in order (trust, wills, probate-avoiding documentation), beg them to start selling or throwing shit away and in the name of all that is unholy have them identify the people in all the old photos and if possible have them record stories of their lives, you’ll be glad you did.

Or just set fire to the house, it’ll save you lots of time. Evil_monster

Whaddya want for the ammo boxes and ax-handles?
08-01-2017, 07:34 AM
I always thought it was "He who dies with the most toys wins".....

Let's see -- I've got 6 Saturns (running) 4 (not running)- A Lebaron, an S-10, a snowmobile, a motorcycle (running) a motorcycle (parts), a quad, and 3 Minneapolis Moline "R" tractors in the garage, barn and two of the buildings... I'm planning on buying more.....

The gun and ammo collection is also nice.......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-01-2017, 07:46 AM
(08-01-2017 02:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Whaddya want for the ammo boxes and ax-handles?

Yeah, I was thinking the bayonet and the foot lockers sounded pretty good...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-01-2017, 08:24 AM
(08-01-2017 02:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 07:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  It’s been a long three weeks preparing to have an estate sale and getting the in-law’s house ready for sale. If you have kids and want to get back at them keep everything you ever buy, stuff it in closets, the garage and the attic and then make sure you croak during the hottest summer or coldest winter. Angry

My in-laws never threw anything away, children of the depression and very modest childhoods is what I’m blaming it on. Some of the things we’ve come across can be seen here https://www.estatesales.net/AL/Fairhope/36532/1406889

What you don’t see is the stuff taken that is gone via the 14 trips to the dump, the 3 trips to Goodwill and the 2 U-Haul trucks. I had to shred check stubs, tax returns, invoices, bank statements and investment statements back to 1975! Fuck-a-duck. I couldn’t just toss them out either because I would find photos, hand written letters and memorabilia sandwiched in between the files.

Items not photographed:
6 vacuum cleaners
125mm brass casing, 3 feet tall and weighing 25-30 pounds.
WWII Japanese bayonet
10 empty metal ammo boxes
3 foot lockers
Boxes and boxes of mason jars (threw out pickled okra from 1988, jams from 1982...)
Cans of food with expiration dates in the 90’s and 00’s
Lawnmower, assorted lawn tools, 6 ax handles without ax head.
Antique tools
20+ scissors
20+ nail clippers
Pith helmet
Liquor (case of Dewars White Label, 2 Chivas Regal, assorted vodka and rum)
Rodents in sticky traps
Fox stoles
Steel combination safe, weight 80 lbs
- inside we found besides warranty deeds, marriage licenses, birth certificates and assorted paperwork, a $20 gold piece, 30 year $1000 treasury bond from 1982 (this means it stopped making interest in 2012) and a few nice pieces of jewelry, a cheap 5 round revolver.
Tons of cheap jewelry
20 lineal feet of slide carousels (wife is now going through them and scanning some vintage photos of when she was growing up - the real treasure) Thumbsup

You get the picture. Then we got home and unpacked the things we didn’t want to get rid off and had to make space for them, today was our second full day of doing this.

So my advice to all of you is, if your parents are old and still alive make sure all the paperwork is in order (trust, wills, probate-avoiding documentation), beg them to start selling or throwing shit away and in the name of all that is unholy have them identify the people in all the old photos and if possible have them record stories of their lives, you’ll be glad you did.

Or just set fire to the house, it’ll save you lots of time. Evil_monster

Whaddya want for the ammo boxes and ax-handles?

It is all out of my hands now, all of it is being sold on January 13 and 14 on site 800 miles away from where we live, we left it in the hands of the professional antique/estate sale company. https://www.estatesales.net/AL/Fairhope/36532/1406889

08-01-2017, 08:30 AM
(08-01-2017 07:46 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 02:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Whaddya want for the ammo boxes and ax-handles?

Yeah, I was thinking the bayonet and the foot lockers sounded pretty good...

Check this up coming estate sale with tons of war memorabilia
https://www.estatesales.net/MS/Biloxi/39530/1404408

08-01-2017, 08:44 AM
(08-01-2017 08:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 07:46 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Yeah, I was thinking the bayonet and the foot lockers sounded pretty good...

Check this up coming estate sale with tons of war memorabilia
https://www.estatesales.net/MS/Biloxi/39530/1404408

Estate auctions - where they have guns, and that sort of thing -- are generally the WORST place to try to find a deal......

There's 500 swinging dicks there, bidding against you...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.