End of a woo-woo era

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2017, 10:37 PM
End of a woo-woo era
This evening I did something that I never, ever thought I would do.

I ran my once-beloved deck of Tarot cards through a cross-cut shredder.

The backstory: This was a garden-variety Rider-Waite deck, the first of many decks that I purchased from the late '70s through the first half of the '80s, and it was the only deck I really used. It moved house with me six times, with the cards wrapped in a bright red scarf and secured in a sandalwood box from a long-defunct head shop.

There were other interesting things in the box, too: A photocopy of the Page of Wands, which used to be "my" card; some tattva symbols cut out of various colours of Bristol board; and a mysterious square astrological chart, carefully drawn in India ink on a blank card, with a dedication to the Library of Alexandria and a quote from Euripedes, written in Greek, roughly translated as "If the gods do evil, then they are not gods."

All gone now. The cards and the little bits of paper were shredded and taken out to the trash bin, and I tossed the box and the scarf too. I didn't want to keep them and I didn't want to give them away; they had to be thrown away.

I'm not quite sure why I felt this had to be done, but it's good just to know that it's possible to walk away from something that I held dear for nearly 40 years.

And, for the D&D-inclined among us:

If this was a spell component, it's gonna be one hell of a spell. Laugh out load

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Astreja's post
11-07-2017, 10:55 PM
RE: End of a woo-woo era
(11-07-2017 10:37 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I'm not quite sure why I felt this had to be done, but it's good just to know that it's possible to walk away from something that I held dear for nearly 40 years.

I'm hoping ManlyGirl don't catch on.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-07-2017, 12:30 AM
(11-07-2017 10:37 PM)Astreja Wrote:  This evening I did something that I never, ever thought I would do.

The backstory: This was a garden-variety Rider-Waite deck, the first of many decks that I purchased from the late '70s through the first half of the '80s, and it was the only deck I really used. It moved house with me six times, with the cards wrapped in a bright red scarf and secured in a sandalwood box from a long-defunct head shop.

There were other interesting things in the box, too: A photocopy of the Page of Wands, which used to be "my" card; some tattva symbols cut out of various colours of Bristol board; and a mysterious square astrological chart, carefully drawn in India ink on a blank card, with a dedication to the Library of Alexandria and a quote from Euripedes, written in Greek, roughly translated as "If the gods do evil, then they are not gods."

All gone now. The cards and the little bits of paper were shredded and taken out to the trash bin, and I tossed the box and the scarf too. I didn't want to keep them and I didn't want to give them away; they had to be thrown away.

I'm not quite sure why I felt this had to be done, but it's good just to know that it's possible to walk away from something that I held dear for nearly 40 years.

And, for the D&D-inclined among us:

If this was a spell component, it's gonna be one hell of a spell. Laugh out load

This speaks to the human need for ritual. Just because we don't have a need for the mystical does not mean that we as humans do not need ritual. I am with Sam Harris on this one. It's one reason I've put a lot of thought into what Secular Humanism can provide for the world. There are those out there who want to completely do away with ritual because they believe that it is either too closely related to the mystical, or that it is on par with religion. I recently got asked to help a friend because their son wants some kind of "confirmation". The three of us discussed the topic at length because if I was going to help I wanted to know exactly what I was suppose to be helping with. At the start the impression I got was that he felt left out because this was something his friends were doing. As we dug deeper though the picture I got was a bit different.

While there certainly was and is an element of "my friends are doing it", he also wants the public recognition that he is not a kid anymore.

In the same way what I interpreter from your need to destroy the tarot cards is a need to externally express an internal reality. Even if no one else was present the ritual of destruction confirms that "I have left behind a part of my past which I no longer need.". I would be interested to hear your input.
[+] 2 users Like BlkFnx's post
12-07-2017, 06:59 AM
(12-07-2017 12:30 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  In the same way what I interpreter from your need to destroy the tarot cards is a need to externally express an internal reality. Even if no one else was present the ritual of destruction confirms that "I have left behind a part of my past which I no longer need.". I would be interested to hear your input.

There was a strong component of "I don't need this / I don't want this" in play last night. Over the last 6 years I've gradually been streamlining my life and uncluttering a lot of my possessions, and one major theme has been the idea to surround myself with things that reflect what I am now, rather than nostalgia items.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
12-07-2017, 05:42 PM
(11-07-2017 10:37 PM)Astreja Wrote:  This evening I did something that I never, ever thought I would do.

The backstory: This was a garden-variety Rider-Waite deck,

I've played poker with mine.
Of course you have to remove a few cards.

And anyway, a true cartomancer should be able to use any kind of cards. The Tarot pictures are to impress the mark. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
12-07-2017, 09:49 PM
(12-07-2017 05:42 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I've played poker with mine.

Firesign Theatre flash from the past, from Waiting for the Electrician, in the skit "W. C. Fields Forever":

Gabby, yer Sacred Cowboy Wrote:There was a passel o’ them Theosophists at the other end of the bar tryin’ to raise the devil. Had him about 10 feet off the floor. I could tell by the red clay on his hooves and his black aura that he was up to no good. I looked him straight in the eye, and told him, “Sanpaku, there ain’t room in this life cycle for both of us. That li’l’ devil up and challenged me to a game of ten card Tarot, pentacles wild. I seed him try to deal a High Priestess from the bottom of the deck, so I ...

(Gabby's reminiscence is interrupted by a bugle charge and the entrance of Leftenant Behind of the Seventh Sealed Calvary)

13-07-2017, 05:40 PM
(12-07-2017 09:49 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 05:42 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I've played poker with mine.

Firesign Theatre flash from the past, from Waiting for the Electrician, in the skit "W. C. Fields Forever":

Gabby, yer Sacred Cowboy Wrote:There was a passel o’ them Theosophists at the other end of the bar tryin’ to raise the devil. Had him about 10 feet off the floor. I could tell by the red clay on his hooves and his black aura that he was up to no good. I looked him straight in the eye, and told him, “Sanpaku, there ain’t room in this life cycle for both of us. That li’l’ devil up and challenged me to a game of ten card Tarot, pentacles wild. I seed him try to deal a High Priestess from the bottom of the deck, so I ...

(Gabby's reminiscence is interrupted by a bugle charge and the entrance of Leftenant Behind of the Seventh Sealed Calvary)

Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
13-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Good for you Astreja. Does it make you feel more free?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
13-07-2017, 09:45 PM
(13-07-2017 07:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Good for you Astreja. Does it make you feel more free?

I don't know if "free" is the right word, because in many ways I had already cut ties with the deck years ago. Less heavy, less cluttered, less conflicted.

16-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Isn't that bad luck? Or something?
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post