End of an Era... Farewell to the Benevolent Dictator.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2015, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 08:23 AM by DLJ.)
End of an Era... Farewell to the Benevolent Dictator.
(No, I don't mean Stark)

The man who brought secularism to South East Asia...

[Image: 19b9a150-cd6e-11e4-8090-a97188adc492_197...n-dead.jpg]
[Image: 23dead10-cd6e-11e4-8090-a97188adc492_198...leader.jpg]
[Image: 2015-LKY-via-PMO.png]

[Image: lky090713e.jpg]
Singapore's first Prime Minister (left) and current Prime Minister (right).

http://www.msn.com/en-my/news/world/obit...DHP#page=1
Quote:Lee, an agnostic, was indifferent to homosexuality. He was fine with gay people, but frowned on pride parades because he wanted to maintain social order.

“China has already allowed and recognised gays, so have Hong Kong and Taiwan. It’s a matter of time. But we have a part Muslim population, another part conservative older Chinese and Indians. So, let’s go slowly. It’s a pragmatic approach to maintain social cohesion,” he said.

Lee’s cold pragmatism, in line with his ambivalence about the divine, was devoid of romanticism and ideology. His Confucian values of obedience to authority and respect for social order underlined his policies on discipline above individual rights.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-03-2015, 08:52 AM
RE: End of an Era... Farewell to the Benevolent Dictator.
Yeah. I was wondering what you would have to say about him this weekend when I was hearing he died.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Is the son the equal of the father?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-03-2015, 09:09 AM
(23-03-2015 08:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah. I was wondering what you would have to say about him this weekend when I was hearing he died.

The dude was a visionary and a nation builder. Charismatic and determined. I've learned a lot about governance systems (and how potentially fragile they are) by reading about his life.

A week of mourning before his state-funeral on the 29th ... an indicator of the impact he has had on the region.

23-03-2015, 09:12 AM
(23-03-2015 08:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  Is the son the equal of the father?

He's been well-trained but he's his own man.

He's ruling in a different age ... one where media cannot be controlled as it was by his father.

Different challenges but same goals. Time will tell.

23-03-2015, 09:20 AM
(23-03-2015 09:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The dude was a visionary and a nation builder. Charismatic and determined. I've learned a lot about governance systems (and how potentially fragile they are) by reading about his life.

Recommend reading?

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
23-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Quite a remarkable man. Not perfect, natch, but who is, right?

I wonder, back in the 1960s, what people thought of him compared to his contemporaries in the other south/east asian states, and how those views have evolved; Park and Marcos and the rest of the cold-war crowd. After all, once upon a time people spoke of Mandela and Mugabe as being in the same category...

... this is my signature!
23-03-2015, 09:53 AM
(23-03-2015 09:20 AM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  
(23-03-2015 09:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The dude was a visionary and a nation builder. Charismatic and determined. I've learned a lot about governance systems (and how potentially fragile they are) by reading about his life.

Recommend reading?

[Image: 20140825_st_leekuanyewmemoirs.jpg?itok=LZ0B3e--]

This is on my intended reading list. So far I've read bits and pieces by others (articles about the rioting and lawlessness after British rule; newspaper articles from the early days of independence; youtube documentaries etc.) ... meaning that I wanted to get a broader perspective before indulging in the memoir that was recommended to me perhaps once a month over the 7 years that I lived in Singapore.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-03-2015, 10:01 AM
(23-03-2015 09:48 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Quite a remarkable man. Not perfect, natch, but who is, right?

I wonder, back in the 1960s, what people thought of him compared to his contemporaries in the other south/east asian states, and how those views have evolved; Park and Marcos and the rest of the cold-war crowd. After all, once upon a time people spoke of Mandela and Mugabe as being in the same category...

I wonder that too.

I depends which taxi driver you talk to. Big Grin At least one that I've chatted with was still angry about "not being allowed" (disincentivised) to have a second child when that short-lived policy was in place.

LKY's most definitely in the Mandela-camp in terms of legacy and popular affection.

But then, I know many a Chinese girl who think of Mao as a national hero and knew not what I was on about when I mentioned "the purges".

Memories, of the young, are short.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Sad day for Singapore indeed. Great man. Like him or not he did bring Singapore from a swamp village (well, you know what I mean) into one of the greatest cities on Earth. And he didn't do it with oil money like the Arabs, Singapore has no natural resources (unless you count geographical location). Not to mention such a diverse range in cultures.

Getting kicked out of Malaysia was the best possible thing to happen to Singapore, that and having this guy as leader.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post