End of an Era... Farewell to the Benevolent Dictator.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2015, 03:53 PM
[split] End of an Era... Farewell to the Benevolent Dictator.
Speaking of benevolent dictators Woof is banned from starting new threads.
Should be grateful I suppose, as this is a private club.
Should have raised it with Seth downunder..........Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2015, 04:17 PM
RE: End of an Era... Farewell to the Benevolent Dictator.
(25-03-2015 03:53 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Speaking of benevolent dictators Woof is banned from starting new threads.

[Image: Nobody-cares-spongebob.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
25-03-2015, 04:46 PM
(25-03-2015 03:53 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Speaking of benevolent dictators Woof is banned from starting new threads.

Now you're simply trolling. Stop being such an ass.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2015, 04:52 PM
(25-03-2015 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Now you're simply trolling. Stop being such an ass.

Dear boy! I followed protocol asking why I had limited access........
May as well be banned completely than partially.Rolleyes
25-03-2015, 04:53 PM
(25-03-2015 04:52 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  May as well be banned completely than partially.Rolleyes

You heard him do it.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
25-03-2015, 04:53 PM
(25-03-2015 04:17 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

[Image: Nobody-cares-spongebob.jpg]

Why advertise as a forum when it is more of a club for self indulging back slappers?
25-03-2015, 04:56 PM
(24-03-2015 05:29 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 12:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  That's actually a fair point. That's also a governance model from which we can learn a great deal.

One, encouraged and grew the intellectual class resulting in a highly educated workforce and the other destroyed the intellectual elite and created a more easily controllable populace.

Are you saying that the Singapore model is not scalable to a larger population? I see no evidence that it could not be.

I am not quit sure whether you did mean "fair" or not, i.e., learn positive things from Mao's governance (I assume that you have learnt positive things from Li's governance). And I was not saying "not scalable". On the contrary, I was saying that if 5.4 million people's journey from third world to first word gives you positive meanings, 1300 million people's journey from a half-colony opium-pandemic society to a GDP second-place, if not strictly scalable, should at least mean something positive, should it ?

Should ends justify means ? I don't know, but that's normally how we interpret things and learn lessons. As you have learned a lot from Li's governance, I have learned a lot from how pathetic China was in the late 18th and early 19th century, how war-torned China was in the 1940s, how Marxism combined with China's actual situation helped Mao and his team become the final winner, how China built a complete industrial system in the 1950s - 1970s, how the Party failed when it choked on doctrinarism and internal struggles, how elements of liberalism made the nation thrive in the 1980s, how bad it hurt when prices skyrocketed and workers were massively laid off in the 1990s, how income inequality keeps growing while tycoons cried again for less regulation and control in the first ten years of this century. Though young, I remember quite a bit of history.

Yet all that difference between us is too trivial. If we were Sierra Leoneans for the next three days, we should have locked ourselves inside already.

Well said.

Just for clarity, though, I didn't use the word 'positive'. I was judgement-neutral. A 'positive' or 'negative' label indicates bias with regard to goals / objectives.

Smile

25-03-2015, 04:58 PM
(25-03-2015 04:53 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  ...
Why advertise as a forum when it is more of a club for self indulging back slappers?

This thread (until you joined it) has been a very good example of a forum discussion.

Dodgy

25-03-2015, 05:03 PM
(25-03-2015 04:52 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Now you're simply trolling. Stop being such an ass.

Dear boy! I followed protocol asking why I had limited access........
May as well be banned completely than partially.Rolleyes

A PM would have been appropriate; this thread is certainly not. Stop being such an ass.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2015, 05:08 PM
(25-03-2015 04:58 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 04:53 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  ...

This thread (until you joined it) has been a very good example of a forum discussion.

Dodgy

As Woof's complaints, & the responses to them, have nothing to do with Lee Kuan Yew, they could be split off into a new thread, right?

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post