End of hardware limits.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 12:24 AM
End of hardware limits.
I was reading another thread and seeing many complaints about story lines and other things. I was curious where people want video games to go. It seems every year we see huge improvements on graphics and many other areas of games. Some are great and some are not as good. Imagine now that it is the year 2175 (why? I pulled a number out of my ass), you are no longer limitted by what hardware you can get. Storage space is all cloud based and free, you can have pretty much anything you want in the world of video games. What is it you would want if you could truly have any game you want?

For me I would prefer actual in game down time. A game I used to play was Star Trek TNG a Final Unity. In this game you could pick the speed you were going and could actually cause it to take hours to get from one place to another. There was nothing to do on board, so if you did that all you could do is wait. Mass Effect was cool because of the ability to explore and do certain things on your ship. Of course the limit was travel. Travel was done with a loading screen and the galaxy finite. Another game I used to play was for my computer, I think it was called Silent Hunter. In this game you are a submarine commander and travel large distances in search of ships to sink. You can manipulate time, so you have real time (it can take days to travel from point A to point B) or you can speed time up and days can pass in seconds.

I like the idea of going into battle on a starship (whether I have control of the ship or not) and having at least an hour to explore and talk to people while waiting for arrival on the battle field. I don't really care if it takes me a year to complete a game. I highly value realism. I think that some games (star trek online) are already headed in this direction.

Let me know what your thoughts are on where video gaming should be headed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2012, 03:37 AM
RE: End of hardware limits.
(13-12-2012 12:24 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I was reading another thread and seeing many complaints about story lines and other things. I was curious where people want video games to go. It seems every year we see huge improvements on graphics and many other areas of games. Some are great and some are not as good. Imagine now that it is the year 2175 (why? I pulled a number out of my ass), you are no longer limitted by what hardware you can get. Storage space is all cloud based and free, you can have pretty much anything you want in the world of video games. What is it you would want if you could truly have any game you want?

For me I would prefer actual in game down time. A game I used to play was Star Trek TNG a Final Unity. In this game you could pick the speed you were going and could actually cause it to take hours to get from one place to another. There was nothing to do on board, so if you did that all you could do is wait. Mass Effect was cool because of the ability to explore and do certain things on your ship. Of course the limit was travel. Travel was done with a loading screen and the galaxy finite. Another game I used to play was for my computer, I think it was called Silent Hunter. In this game you are a submarine commander and travel large distances in search of ships to sink. You can manipulate time, so you have real time (it can take days to travel from point A to point B) or you can speed time up and days can pass in seconds.

I like the idea of going into battle on a starship (whether I have control of the ship or not) and having at least an hour to explore and talk to people while waiting for arrival on the battle field. I don't really care if it takes me a year to complete a game. I highly value realism. I think that some games (star trek online) are already headed in this direction.

I think games are evolving at different levels. From the numerals on your username Im guessing your a year older than me (ive just turned 32) so you have probably had the same systems as me. For us older gamers I think we have played a lot and things can very quickly become samey (I will never buy another COD game) So there is a market for us which demands innovation to keep us interested as us adults actually make up a massive percentage of the games market.

The innovation at the moment I see in the form of the Kinnect, Playstation move and also the Nintendo Wii.... trying to get people to interface with the systems in different ways. This is where I see the market growing, as graphics will just keep getting better regardless.

There are rumors that Sony and Playstation 4 are looking into contact lenses....

http://www.examiner.com/article/playstat...ntact-lens

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
13-12-2012, 04:07 AM
(13-12-2012 03:37 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 12:24 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I was reading another thread and seeing many complaints about story lines and other things. I was curious where people want video games to go. It seems every year we see huge improvements on graphics and many other areas of games. Some are great and some are not as good. Imagine now that it is the year 2175 (why? I pulled a number out of my ass), you are no longer limitted by what hardware you can get. Storage space is all cloud based and free, you can have pretty much anything you want in the world of video games. What is it you would want if you could truly have any game you want?

I think games are evolving at different levels. From the numerals on your username Im guessing your a year older than me (ive just turned 32) so you have probably had the same systems as me. For us older gamers I think we have played a lot and things can very quickly become samey (I will never buy another COD game) So there is a market for us which demands innovation to keep us interested as us adults actually make up a massive percentage of the games market.

The innovation at the moment I see in the form of the Kinnect, Playstation move and also the Nintendo Wii.... trying to get people to interface with the systems in different ways. This is where I see the market growing, as graphics will just keep getting better regardless.

There are rumors that Sony and Playstation 4 are looking into contact lenses....

http://www.examiner.com/article/playstat...ntact-lens

This presents and interesting idea, though I don't imagine that I would go for wearing contacts. I am rather twitchy about my eyes. I was reffering more to the content of the games, not so much the interface. I don't think I will be getting the PS4. I am happy currently with the xbox 360 and don't have much time to play anyway. If they ever come out with a fully VR system that completely puts you into the game world, I will more than likely be first in line to buy it (unless it requires contact lenses). Of course that depends on how much money I have at the time and if my wife lets me buy it.
14-12-2012, 02:50 PM
I think the success of XCOM is telling - people like story, sure, but there's a lot of room out there for game experiences that offer real challenge, emergent gameplay, and interaction on a grand scale.

I remember once a game designer discussing their ultimate zombie game - paraphrasing, it went something like this:

"you're dropped into an urban sprawl as part of a small group of survivors, and the zombie apocalypse is ongoing. The world is fixed - there's only so much 'stuff', and you've got to sort out how to survive. Will you raid the grocery store? What about fuel? Vehicles? Do you build a fortress or do you explore to maximize resources (and prevent the zombies from homing in on you)? There are other survivor teams - what will you do when you find them? What about rescue? What if only so many people could leave with every rescue chopper..."

... which eventually (IMO) turned into DayZ... but imagine that in a decade, with, say, full-body motion control, or something that maps your local area instead of putting you into 'generic urban sprawl'.

Anyway - I think we're going to see a lot more emergent gameplay, experiences that are more 'encapsulated world simulations', and - right alongside these game types - you'll see something like what Mass Effect aspired to be, storytelling that predicates on your choices (including your failures - something they haven't figured out yet).

That's really the thing - worlds that let you go on, even after you've screwed up? That's what we /really/ will see - and that will be /amazing/.

"Since God created man, and man created the Transformers, the Transformers are like a gift from God, Randal!" - Elias, from Clerks 2.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user