Ending neg reps.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Ending neg reps.
(04-04-2013 04:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No.

Neg repping exists for a reason. It can be both useful and insightful; however, like most things, it can also be abused and misused.

For the most part, though, it is utilized correctly.

If you have positive repping it is only fair to have neg repping as well.

God certainly works in mysterious ways.Angel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
04-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Much to everyone's surprise, I am actually in favor of eliminating neg reps.

Negative reps has served a slightly useful purpose by creating a sort of "red flag" for spotting trolls. However, I've also, at times, seen a good, solid argument pretty much ignored because the poster is automatically seen as not-so-credible.

For the most part though, neg rep has just caused problems. Most of it amounts to a bunch of whining, though there is still a healthy portion of serious losses due to the system. Plus, I don't know about you all, but I sure. Old do with a little less whining sometimes.

I say, get rid of negative rep. Maintain the ability to delete rep you've given. Then dole out more rep credits and encourage people to use it more effectively, as in, giving an appropriate amount of rep. Then we can still look at rep as an indicator of ones credibility by observing their rep in comparison to their number of posts. At the same time, we can encourage a little bit of if-you-don't-have-anything-nice-to-say type behavior.

Savvy?

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 7 users Like Stark Raving's post
04-04-2013, 07:54 PM
(04-04-2013 07:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Much to everyone's surprise, I am actually in favor of eliminating neg reps.

Negative reps has served a slightly useful purpose by creating a sort of "red flag" for spotting trolls. However, I've also, at times, seen a good, solid argument pretty much ignored because the poster is automatically seen as not-so-credible.

For the most part though, neg rep has just caused problems. Most of it amounts to a bunch of whining, though there is still a healthy portion of serious losses due to the system. Plus, I don't know about you all, but I sure. Old do with a little less whining sometimes.

I say, get rid of negative rep. Maintain the ability to delete rep you've given. Then dole out more rep credits and encourage people to use it more effectively, as in, giving an appropriate amount of rep. Then we can still look at rep as an indicator of ones credibility by observing their rep in comparison to their number of posts. At the same time, we can encourage a little bit of if-you-don't-have-anything-nice-to-say type behavior.

Savvy?

No, I think it is a useful tool. If kids only get trophies and never criticism...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-04-2013, 07:59 PM
(04-04-2013 07:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 07:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Much to everyone's surprise, I am actually in favor of eliminating neg reps.

Savvy?

No, I think it is a useful tool. If kids only get trophies and never criticism...

Reasonable cases can be made for both sides.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
04-04-2013, 08:01 PM
I gotta say, at the risk of doing something so drastic it risks tearing a hole in the fabric of time and space, I'm gonna agree with Chas. I think the rep system, whilst used a little frivolously at times, is generally fine in it's current form. Besides, on a forum populated by adults and mostly more mature teenagers we should be able to have something like a rep system without it dissolving into WW3, I'd rather not treat people like children by removing stuff like that.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
04-04-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm quite proud of my neg reps!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
04-04-2013, 08:05 PM
(04-04-2013 08:01 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I gotta say, at the risk of doing something so drastic it risks tearing a hole in the fabric of time and space, I agree with Chas. I think the rep system, whilst used a little frivolously at times, is generally fine in it's current form. Besides, on a forum populated by adults and mostly more mature teenagers we should be able to have something like a rep system without it dissolving into WW3, I'd rather not treat people like children by removing stuff like that.

Geez, Hughsie, give a guy a heads up, willya?

I had to make a priority emergency level 1 call to the alien overlords to take care of that space-time rupture.

Sheesh.Angry

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-04-2013, 08:06 PM
(04-04-2013 08:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm quite proud of my neg reps!

Me, too. Badges of honor. And source of humor.

FZUMedia (-21) - Last updated 19-12-2012, 18:05 [Delete Rating]
Negative (-1): Believes in violence against me because I don't agree with him- it's an evil that must be stopped.

The Theist (-6) - Last updated 20-11-2012, 23:34 [Delete Rating]
Negative (-1): Effeminate non existent entity to an idealism both anti-intellectual and without the sack his duplicitous ignorance craves. Like a homosexual warrior. Fuck, eat and fight on a bloody battle that no one sees. Ignominious.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Savvy?

Naturally I agree.
A person's arguments can be distorted or made to look inferior by a slab of neg reps. The argument/ attitude may of course be inferior,possibly hopeless, and maybe one that could be improved upon. Deleting positive reps may act as a temporary wake up call to a perceived over all attitude, without any stigma.

I remember you gave me my first positive rep, relating to my patience and this was appreciated.
Whether my less patience has become part of a valuable learning curve, in more ways then one, remains to be seen.
04-04-2013, 08:12 PM
(04-04-2013 08:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Me, too. Badges of honor.

I only have one, a revenge one I got from Red Celt after I gave him a -1 for being a total fucktard. Best part of that was after I negged him he sent me a stupidly abusive PM saying he'd taken his revenge and calling me every name under the sun, then he negged me back. Dickhead forgot though that, as a mod, I had twice the repping abilities he had, I turned his -1 into a -2 for sending me the PM and he flipped right the fuck out. I shouldn't say it but it did give me a good laugh.

I still wear it like a badge of honour. I got that neg rep for sticking up from Erx when he came under a totally unwarranted attack. It's one of my reps that I'm proudest of.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post