Endless Forms Most Beautiful & Nightwish in general

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Endless Forms Most Beautiful & Nightwish in general
Hey all, new member here! I've been a huge fan of the podcasts and I figured it would be a good time to join the community (mods, if this topic is better-suited for another sub-forum, feel free to move it!)

So, onto the point of this thread. Unless I'm mistaken I haven't seen any topics regarding the new album by one of my favorite bands, Nightwish. It seems like it will be a real winner when it comes out next month. As for why I'm posting it on here, Richard Dawkins will be guest-narrating in a couple of tracks (one of which is named after his Greatest Show on Earth).

Now, if anyone out there follows the band on social media, the band has been getting a ton of hate ever since announcing Dawkins' affiliation. Not because the album is titled after a quote by Charles Darwin, but because a prominent evolutionary biologist will be featured on some tracks narrating pieces about evolution and life. I think it is pretty insane that people who would otherwise have supported the band and likely enjoyed the album are now boycotting it. I have come to expect this from Americans, but apparently even people in other countries have jumped on the hate-wagon in this instance.

I admit I rarely follow things like this as I typically think it is a waste of time, but does this happen often? Do you find that people will gladly support a band, movie, etc. one day; then the next they find out an atheist is involved in some way and suddenly they drop any and all support, going as far as disavowing their like for, in this instance, a band? And conversely, is it common the exact opposite (atheists reacting similarly to Christian music and such) happening? I know in my circle of friends and acquaintances people rarely care about affiliations with churches, belief systems, etc. so long as the end product is good.

As a side-bar, it has been pretty interesting seeing the song-writer and band-leader Tuomas Holopainen move more towards an atheistic and rational disposition over the years (he contributes much of this to Hitchens, Dawkins, Sagan, and the like). It has mimicked my own path towards rationality and reason. I was very much a Catholic (in practice and not necessarily thought) when I discovered the band, and I found Tuomas writing more skeptical lyrics as I moved farther from faith and began questioning... well, everything. It's nothing important, but an interesting observation I noticed in retrospect.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2015, 01:41 PM
RE: Endless Forms Most Beautiful & Nightwish in general
I pre-ordered a copy of the vinyl because I could only get the vinyl or the CD and not both, and vinyl had to win out :L

I don't get involved in social media anymore, but I can imagine that sort of thing. People often do it. Even if someone finds out their favourite restaurant is owned by someone they disagree with they'll decide never to eat there again. I know people who would literally cut off their own nose if they thought their face looked a bit gay. It seems like most people are a bit thick and can't deal with anyone who isn't part of their hug box.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
18-02-2015, 09:07 PM
I haven't listened to Nightwish since Tarja left. This just might be enough to bring me back. Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-02-2015, 06:24 PM
(18-02-2015 09:07 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I haven't listened to Nightwish since Tarja left. This just might be enough to bring me back. Thumbsup

The new singer is pretty awesome as well. If you go to YouTube by clicking on the video below it should take you to the playlist for this whole concert.

I wasn't a huge fan of the post-Tarja scene, but the music was still there and the lyrics were still great. This album seems like it will be more of a return to what made Nightwish such a great band in the first place.
20-02-2015, 02:10 AM
I think that Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum are Nightwish's strongest albums personally, but I don't know how much Annette contributed to that. She sounded OK, but the albums were really carried by the guest musicians, especially the London Philharmonic Orchestra. She did do songs though I'm not sure if Tarja could have pulled off; like Turn Loose The Mermaids.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
01-03-2015, 06:13 PM
I am gonna order this CD soon. Kind of epic that Dawkins will be in the album. Not normally a fan of the bands songs, but this will be pretty good lol.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
02-03-2015, 03:13 PM
(20-02-2015 02:10 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I think that Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum are Nightwish's strongest albums personally, but I don't know how much Annette contributed to that. She sounded OK, but the albums were really carried by the guest musicians, especially the London Philharmonic Orchestra. She did do songs though I'm not sure if Tarja could have pulled off; like Turn Loose The Mermaids.
I really like Nightwish, wasn't such a fan of Tarja as I'm not keen on her operatic style but Nightwish is great anyways. Annette was very good on studio albums.
My big bug bear is that Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum are over compressed with heaps of distortion on the bass and drums, its really off putting.

Hoping the new album will not have this problem.

Floor is great BTW.
02-03-2015, 03:15 PM
(18-02-2015 12:34 AM)monch Wrote:  Now, if anyone out there follows the band on social media, the band has been getting a ton of hate ever since announcing Dawkins' affiliation.
Hmm, seems a bit silly.
The album has an evolution theme, Dawkins is one of the top evolutionary scientists.
The album isn't a political statement, its art.
16-03-2015, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2015 03:33 AM by Stevil.)
Well, here's a link to "Shudder before the beautiful" with a short spoken intro from Richard Dawkins.

http://www.hs.fi/mainos/advertoriaali/nightwish/
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
30-03-2015, 05:47 AM
The album is absolutely amazing.

Richard Dawkins was not wasted

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.