Endless Forms Most Beautiful & Nightwish in general

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2015, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2015 06:01 AM by Alex K.)
RE: Endless Forms Most Beautiful & Nightwish in general
Hey there!

I had started a thread about this on AF.org a while ago. I think the choice of topic and using RD is a great idea. I also think that Floor Jansen is the best thing that could have happened to them and is the reason why I started paying attention to them again in the first place. I didn't care for AO at all, she was just a pop singer in my eyes, somewhat forgettable. FJ can both belt and has TTs classical training, but a fresher voice while TT by now sounds inflexible to me and is getting on my nerves.
That being said, I am not completely happy with the first two songs of the new album that I've seen so far (Elan and Shudder before the Beautiful). They do not use FJs potential, not even close, and Holopainen has written more interesting harmonies in the past in my opinion, and is using a bit too much formula on Shudder, even though it is nice to listen to. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I think they could do so much better, and that's aggravating. Are there other songs available yet?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2015, 12:33 PM
(30-03-2015 05:55 AM)Alex K Wrote:  Hey there!

I had started a thread about this on AF.org a while ago. I think the choice of topic and using RD is a great idea. I also think that Floor Jansen is the best thing that could have happened to them and is the reason why I started paying attention to them again in the first place. I didn't care for AO at all, she was just a pop singer in my eyes, somewhat forgettable. FJ can both belt and has TTs classical training, but a fresher voice while TT by now sounds inflexible to me and is getting on my nerves.
That being said, I am not completely happy with the first two songs of the new album that I've seen so far (Elan and Shudder before the Beautiful). They do not use FJs potential, not even close, and Holopainen has written more interesting harmonies in the past in my opinion, and is using a bit too much formula on Shudder, even though it is nice to listen to. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I think they could do so much better, and that's aggravating. Are there other songs available yet?
Should have pre-ordered the vinyl to arrive on the morning of the release day like me lol

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
30-03-2015, 01:17 PM
I don't really mind Nightwish or Opera Metal that much, but I need a big break from it or I'll snap and hate it; I've been at a music school as a drummer for a year and somehow one of the girls in my class picked like every. fucking. song. Lots of Nightwish and similar bands. Only so much I can take. But I guess if it wasn't forced down my throat and memorized for months, they're a good band with a decent sound.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
30-03-2015, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2015 01:45 PM by Alex K.)
ELK12695 Wrote:Lots of Nightwish and similar bands. Only so much I can take.
Here, have some antidote

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
30-03-2015, 02:12 PM

30-03-2015, 04:01 PM
(30-03-2015 01:41 PM)Alex K Wrote:  
ELK12695 Wrote:Lots of Nightwish and similar bands. Only so much I can take.
Here, have some antidote

Did H.R Giger design that album cover? Looks like it.

30-03-2015, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2015 04:23 PM by Alex K.)
Yes, Triptykon's Frontman TG Fischer was a personal friend of Giger's and he provided designs for the first three triptykon albums (the third yet to be released) as well as one of the Celtic Frost albums (to mega therion)
[Image: To_Mega_Therion_-_Celtic_Frost.jpg]

The pictures are however older works, as Giger had stopped painting after he stopped having these nightmares many years ago.

[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
30-03-2015, 05:47 PM
(30-03-2015 04:03 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Yes, Triptykon's Frontman TG Fischer was a personal friend of Giger's and he provided designs for the first three triptykon albums (the third yet to be released) as well as one of the Celtic Frost albums (to mega therion)
[Image: To_Mega_Therion_-_Celtic_Frost.jpg]

The pictures are however older works, as Giger had stopped painting after he stopped having these nightmares many years ago.

Being an Alien fan, I can reconize his stuff most of the time. Sad he passed away too early. SuperEgo's best comedy is based on him and his emm... behavior.

[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
10-04-2015, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 08:49 PM by monch.)
(30-03-2015 05:47 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  The album is absolutely amazing.

Richard Dawkins was not wasted

I agree. I thought "the Greatest Show on Earth" was beautiful and masterfully composed. I finally got a chance to listen to it with no distractions (not an easy feat for a 24 minute epic) and it was great... they really outdid themselves in my opinion. The way the song is about the origins of the universe, the evolution of life, etc., and tastefully placed snippets by Dawkins make it a phenomenal experience.

I just wish I could have made it to the Philly show tonight, but alas I have work way to early tomorrow morning.

Overall I thought the album was good. They had some dud songs, but FJ had some shining moments. I can't seem to get "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" out of my head.
10-04-2015, 10:43 PM
(10-04-2015 08:42 PM)monch Wrote:  I agree. I thought "the Greatest Show on Earth" was beautiful and masterfully composed. I finally got a chance to listen to it with no distractions (not an easy feat for a 24 minute epic) and it was great... they really outdid themselves in my opinion. The way the song is about the origins of the universe, the evolution of life, etc., and tastefully placed snippets by Dawkins make it a phenomenal experience.

I just wish I could have made it to the Philly show tonight, but alas I have work way to early tomorrow morning.

Overall I thought the album was good. They had some dud songs, but FJ had some shining moments. I can't seem to get "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" out of my head.
Yeah, I'm really liking it too.
At first I wasn't a fan of My Walden but I do like the time change and the Celtic feel. Elan is great with its nonsense phrases and nonsense video. Shudder before the Beautiful is great. Our decades in the sun and of course The greatest show on Earth.
I'm really glad Tarja left the band, I wasn't a fan of her operatic voice. Floor is fantastic.