Endless Space

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Endless Space
Yes, after all these years and growing older and (hopefully) more mature, I still suck at strategy games, even the turn-based ones!

Endless Space is kicking my butt with the same level of ease as Civ V. I suck.

So, if there are any skilled turn based strat gamers here, or someone who is enjoying Endless Space, I seek your advice.

Also, your opinions of the game would interest me.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2013, 01:58 AM
RE: Endless Space
I put some time into Endless Space. The key to success is big galaxies with lots of stars, focus heavily on research first and tech last. Build moderate fleets (big fleets are too expensive and small fleets are too weak - the enemies like to pounce if they smell weakness) and centralize them to respond quickly to an invasion. Then mollify the enemies by being nice to them. Offer trades in their favor, but never trade tech.

The goal is to develop superior tech before they do, but you gotta stay alive to do it. The challenge is to focus maximum effort on research but without neglecting growth and defense. The balance varies based on the races you play, the enemies you meet, and the proximity of those enemies (also, if they're trapped in a corner and cannot expand, expect an early attack).

Also, expand FAST at the start. Stake your claim on a number of systems. They're much easier to take when nobody lives there.

One neat thing about Endless Space is you can win with 6 planets just as easily (maybe easier) than you can with 60, so it's not necessary to grab more turf than everyone else. Grab what you can hold and then tech, tech, diplomacy, tech, and more tech.

Don't attack until you have way more tech than your neighbors. A single fleet of high tech ships can destroy a dozen fleets of low-tech enemy, and that's way more efficient than trying to outnumber and outproduce an enemy in a technologically balanced struggle (which always fails in a game where you selected more than one enemy race, because while you waste time and resources building and losing ships, the enemies not involved in your war will be building libraries and universities and will outpace you).

Side note, same strat for all the Civ games, too. Really, it's more or less the same for all player vs. computer 4x games.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
13-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Endless Space
Currently losing a game against 2 AI opponents by a small margin. Maybe I should practice against 1 opponent until I can beat that first.

Chose Pilgrims. Apparently I don't understand how to win a diplomatic victory. I was doing better last year when I first bought this and tried to wipe the map as Cravers.

Maybe I just need to make more mistakes.
13-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Hah, I never tried cravers. The idea of cannibalizing my own worlds struck me as interesting in concept but weak in practical application. Expand or die because you can't live (well) on your own ruined worlds forces you into military and conquest which they're good at, and they can dominate their immediate neighbors, but in a galaxy with 8 races, some will be far away and safe from initial craver onslaught and will develop enough tech to swat those cravers like flies. I always do, except in games when they are neighbors, in which case I build a defensive front and encourage them to attack somewhere else, somewhere weaker.

I don't remember if I "won" a diplomatic victory. I much prefer to conquer and dominate - I just play the nice diplomat role while I pour tons of research into galaxy-dominating tech, then when I have that, I use it for what it's meant to do, dominate the galaxy.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
13-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Endless Space
So when you say "tech"' as opposed to "research" do you mean researching the weapon technologies at the top of the tree? This as opposed to colonization, science or diplomatic technologies?
14-03-2013, 10:53 AM
No, I was being generic because it's been about a year since I played it and I've forgotten much of the specific terminology.

The best thing to research in any 4x game (when playing vs. the computer, anyway), is all the technology that lets you learn more technology faster. I've played way more Civilization games, in those, the tech I'm talking about would be Libraries, Universities, Research Labs, etc. First you research the specific advancement in the technology tree that lets you build them, then you build them EVERYWHERE as fast as possible to get their benefits immediately.

In my experience, this is more important than expansion (locations), expansion (population in each location), warfare (avoid spending time and resources on military except for the minimum required to protect borders and deter invasions), diplomacy (a minimum of diplomatic advancements necessary to make treaties and bargain for knowledge and/or peace with neighbors), and really anything else.

Research, research, research, and always find the shortest path through the technology tree that lets you acquire new methods to improve the rate that you can research new technology.

In 4x games, I'm always way out in front, fighting (Civ games) archers with riflemen and chariots with tanks, or fighting (Endless Space) small fleets armed with weak beam weapons with my large fleets with huge beams, missiles, and particles. Even on ridiculously hard levels, though of course, that requires more time begging enemies to leave you alone, more time and resources wasted on border military (deterrent and protection), and even a sharper focus to make a bee-line right for the juicy technologies that let me research faster.