Endometriosis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Question Endometriosis
I don't have ANY clue how much of a long shot it is that anyone on here will have endometriosis or be able to answer my question, but I thought it would be worth a try. Shy
Long story short: I had laparoscopic surgery a week and a half ago to remove a cyst and they discovered I have stage IV (severe) endometriosis. I met with my gynecologist yesterday and he told me that my best treatment option would be the Depo Provera shot, and, not really know what it was, I agreed to come today and get the shot. However, after doing a lot of research last night, I’ve decided that I don’t want to do the depo shot as the possible side effects are too overwhelming for me (gaining 40 pounds, hair loss, menopause-like symptoms).
The only other options I can seem to find, in my research, are a hysterectomy (which, at 26, I’m not opposed to as I’ve never wanted children, but would like to hold out as long as I can on, as the option to try for kids should I change my mind would still be nice), and to have the laparoscopic surgery continually (every 3-6 months) to burn away the endo as it grows.
I’m wondering if anyone else knows of or has tried any other treatments. I have another appointment with my gyne in a couple of weeks to discuss other treatment options but would like to do my research as thoroughly as possibly before then.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 04:29 PM
RE: Endometriosis
I'm sorry. A good friend had it. It was awful for her.

Edit to add
Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-08-2014, 06:34 PM
You're doing the right thing by being as informed as much as you can about the subject. Once you have all the relevant info you can make an informed decision with the help of your Gyne.
Hug

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
12-08-2014, 11:13 PM
I just want to offer my experience with the Depo shot.
I tried it for a year and it was terrible on my body. I gained about 20 pounds, had acne like a teenager again, and was extremely fatigued all the time. Not only that, the entire year I was on it, I bled constantly. It was never a heavy flow, more like the dregs of being on the last day of your period. every day. for a year. I talked to my doctor about it and she said it would just take some time for my body to adjust, and to wait it out. But by the time I got that 4th shot and nothing changed, I was DONE. It's literally the worst birth control I've ever been on. And since it's a 3 month dose, I had to wait it out before I could change to another one.

I know people's bodies are different, and the Depo shot works for a lot of women. It didn't work for me, but if it could help you, it might be worth trying it for the first dose at least and just see how your body reacts to it. I think it's a good idea to try, especially considering your other options, if you don't want to go in for surgery all the time or do a hysterectomy.

Just make the best decision for you, and you don't have to rush into anything you're not fully confident in. Keep talking to your doctors and even get a second opinion if you need to.

Hug

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 4 users Like Colourcraze's post
12-08-2014, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 11:38 PM by Hobbitgirl.)
Sadly I all can say is I've know a lot of people who have used depo and I've -never- heard good stories about it.

Good luck with your decision!
12-08-2014, 11:34 PM
I am also sorry you are going through this! I have not heard anything good about the shot either.

You are wise to question! My advice is to research and learn all you can about your diagnosis. There is always alternative medicine and natural remedies.

Here's a link to a support group for endometriosis. Talking to others who have already been down this road, might help you gain some insight. Good luck to you!

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Endometri...port-group

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like CindysRain's post
13-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Colourcraze is right - everyone's body is different so, first trying a 3 month dose might be an option to at least see what it's like. If you just can't stand it, find out from your doctor what the next best course of action is and see if it's a good fit for you.

I do know that endometriosis can become extremely painful and it's made livable with birth control pills or hormone therapies and laparoscopy. But there are other kinds of hormone therapies that don't have the estrogen side effects of Depo Provera ... ask your doctor for more information and alternatives. Good luck with your treatments. Thumbsup

If you plan to have children later, maybe freeze several batches of your ova now while you have the time & opportunity. Then, if a hysterectomy becomes a must, your back up eggs will have been harvested. You can always use a surrogate... or screw all that and just adopt a ready made kid who probably already needs you. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
13-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks so much, everyone! I would usually be inclined to try out the depo shot, but it really just feels wrong for me, so I'm going to listen to my inner dialogue. Still hoping to find out about some alternative options! Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2014, 12:40 PM
You should ask about the pill or another form of BC if you can't handle the Depo. Birth Control is the only thing that will put it in remission. My sister has had it for 10 years. A hysterectomy would involve taking hormones, etc. (Had a friend have one at age 24). You might would find it to be worse than the side effects of the Depo. Ultimately, it's a serious choice between you and your dr. but from second hand experience, I would advise exploring a different form of BC before committing to a hysterctomy. Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you! Smile
14-08-2014, 07:52 AM
A hysterectomy can still leave the ovaries in tact, making hormone treatments unnecessary. But again, if you want the childbirth experience, you'd want to keep that uterus. You could still have a biological child through a surrogate or adopt a child.

I do think birth control is a better option than going for laparoscopy all the time. Have you used a BC before that worked well with your body? Maybe find out if it's effective for endometriosis. Keep searching!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post