Energy efficient lightbulbs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Lightbulb Energy efficient lightbulbs
The time has come. I've gotta face facts that I can't keep using regular bulbs, plus you know, the environment Yes Have any of you found brands that you really like? I've tried a few different kinds so far, and I'm just disappointed.

Regular bulbs outlast all of the EE bulbs we've tried out (even though they boast longer life). Plus they take sooo long to get bright! I turn on the light in our kitchen and there is almost no discernible difference in lighting when I flip the switch. When I flip a light switch I want light now, not ten minutes from now Facepalm I swear I'm wasting more energy just keeping it on so that I don't have to wait when I need it.

Any brand suggestions? I'm tired of throwing money out trying to find one that works well, and actually lasts. Am I being too demanding, or are there actually good ones out there?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2014, 06:51 PM
RE: Energy efficient lightbulbs
(18-09-2014 06:45 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  The time has come. I've gotta face facts that I can't keep using regular bulbs, plus you know, the environment Yes Have any of you found brands that you really like? I've tried a few different kinds so far, and I'm just disappointed.

Regular bulbs outlast all of the EE bulbs we've tried out (even though they boast longer life). Plus they take sooo long to get bright! I turn on the light in our kitchen and there is almost no discernible difference in lighting when I flip the switch. When I flip a light switch I want light now, not ten minutes from now Facepalm I swear I'm wasting more energy just keeping it on so that I don't have to wait when I need it.

Any brand suggestions? I'm tired of throwing money out trying to find one that works well, and actually lasts. Am I being too demanding, or are there actually good ones out there?

[Image: GE-Energy-Smart-Energy-Star-Light-Bulb.jpg]

Those Motherfuckers are brighter than the fucking sun.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks! I'll try them.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
18-09-2014, 06:57 PM
I always check the box to make sure they're fast start bulbs. I had one of the slow ones left and put it in the porch light because it was so slow.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
18-09-2014, 08:13 PM
(18-09-2014 06:45 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  The time has come. I've gotta face facts that I can't keep using regular bulbs, plus you know, the environment Yes Have any of you found brands that you really like? I've tried a few different kinds so far, and I'm just disappointed.

I am switching to LED. Most of my fixtures were using CFL but their warm up time is too long in winter and they contain mercury.

The LEDs are frikken bright! I managed to get some at 55% off for 60W equivalent.
Now just waiting to get some with GU24 sockets. The damned CFL fixtures use these sockets and so far very few LED bulbs come with that base. Usually the smaller GU10.

Censored
18-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Ah yes, that was another point, I'd rather have bulbs that won't kill me if one shatters in an unventilated space Laugh out load I'm a butterfingers Shy

Rev, do you know about how long those GE ones last you? I swear that's what we started with, and the ones that started pissing me off because of short life.

Rouge, are the LED bulbs still considered EE?

Thanks for the tip, Pablo, I'll keep an eye out for that Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
18-09-2014, 08:22 PM
(18-09-2014 08:21 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Ah yes, that was another point, I'd rather have bulbs that won't kill me if one shatters in an unventilated space Laugh out load I'm a butterfingers Shy

Rev, do you know about how long those GE ones last you? I swear that's what we started with.

Rouge, are the LED bulbs still considered EE?

Thanks for the tip, Pablo, I'll keep an eye out for that Thumbsup

Um well since I bought em I have not replaced one. It's been like 8 months. They say they last like 5 years.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Revs is right! I got one lighting the stair well leading down to the basement that pretty much never gets turned off even in the day time! I can't remember the last time I changed it!

18-09-2014, 09:12 PM
(18-09-2014 08:13 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  

I am switching to LED. Most of my fixtures were using CFL but their warm up time is too long in winter and they contain mercury.

The LEDs are frikken bright! I managed to get some at 55% off for 60W equivalent.
Now just waiting to get some with GU24 sockets. The damned CFL fixtures use these sockets and so far very few LED bulbs come with that base. Usually the smaller GU10.

Censored

I haven't switched to LED lighting except for a lamp that I absolutely love! It can be adjusted from nearly nightlight dim to burn your retinas bright. I may have to see if I can utilize LED lights in a few key places in the house - hadn't thought of that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
18-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Well if you buy enough solar panels, and batteries, you can use whatever light bulbs you want without impacting the environment! (aside from the materials used to create said objects) Or convince the governments of the world to switch to solar and wind.. and hope one of the oil companies doesn't hunt you down Smile