Engagement rings....WHY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Wink Engagement rings....WHY?
I've read dozens of articles on engagement rings and I can say that I don't like them at all.

Now that I'm free to discuss this, it'd be interesting hearing other people's point of view.

It seems the vast majority of people are convinced that the engagement ring is important, or magical, or whatnot. Or maybe convinced that it symbolizes love, dedication, or commitment.

Much of my issue with engagement rings is the inequality of them. I don't even agree that it *should* be the man who has to propose in the first place. Let alone "prove" his love/dedication through an impractical, over-priced, completely material object. And why is only one party marked as "taken"? I mean, seriously, is there any good reason why a woman needs to be branded while a man allowed to roam without any adornment? Does it come down to just displaying bragging rights among women? *Not even getting into the whole corrupt diamond industry since rings don't HAVE to be diamond, no matter how much people have been "brainwashed" to believe so*

Perhaps in times past when people got married without hardly knowing each other, the engagement ring was a good indicator of what the man was bringing to the table. But now, couples are living together and practically sharing everything prior to engagement anyways. So if you already in a loving and committed relationship then you probably know the status, general life direction, approximate income, and more importantly, the personality and heart of the person you plan to marry...what the hell does the engagement ring TELL you? "He spent $X dollars on my present therefore he loves me sooooo much?" Is love quantified by spending money on functionally devoid baubles?

Furthermore, what purpose does an engagement ring have if a wedding ring is to follow? Is the exchange of wedding rings not the actual promise? The actual symbols of commitment?

So please put forward your opinion on engagement rings. Do you support them? If so, why? Do they seem dated? Unequal? Please tell me why Engagement rings in modern Western culture are anything more than a successful marketing campaign. Please tell me why a woman should expect one while a man should not. Please tell me why a wedding ring's purpose doesn't completely eclipse the need for an engagement ring.

Thank you,

Was going to add a poll, but I'm more interested in reading opinions. I like to see how people think differently than me Smile.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
04-01-2016, 01:58 PM
RE: Engagement rings....WHY?
Adam knows the answer. Wink

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Vosur's post
04-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Why? Because your fiancé wants one. (drops mic)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 12 users Like Reducetarian's post
04-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Ask any jewler, ya dummy. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-01-2016, 02:18 PM
(04-01-2016 01:50 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I've read dozens of articles on engagement rings and I can say that I don't like them at all.

Now that I'm free to discuss this, it'd be interesting hearing other people's point of view.
It's just a tradition. I don't really care for traditions or following trends.

I did however, get my wife an engagement ring.
We discussed alot about whether to get wedding rings. I was against it, wife was sometimes against and sometimes for. In the end we bought wedding rings.

However we never wear the wedding rings and my wife doesn't wear her engagement ring.

Neither of us are accessory people. Wife doesn't wear jewelery, doesn't put on make-up. It's just not something that we care about.

I even think "marriage" is an outdated concept.
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post
04-01-2016, 02:23 PM
I think one ring is enough--but here's my take on it: I would want the engagement ring and I would use that as my wedding ring. Since I want a vintage engagement ring, I don't want another ring to add to it. To me the engagement ring is part of the romance and when I got married the engagement ring would "become" my wedding ring.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
04-01-2016, 02:27 PM
I agree they're a rather off-putting and often one-sided symbol, although I know some couples who each give and wear an engagement ring.

I hadn't intended to get one, but when we went to order our wedding rings--of which we split the cost, 50/50--the engagement ring was only an extra $19, so we got that, too. As you can imagine, the $19 ring featured a diamond that was close to microscopic. I did wear my wedding ring/engagement ring together until our tenth anniversary, when my husband's present to me was a diamond ring.

It would not have bothered me to have no engagement ring, as that was the original plan.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
04-01-2016, 02:27 PM
(04-01-2016 02:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think one ring is enough--but here's my take on it: I would want the engagement ring and I would use that as my wedding ring. Since I want a vintage engagement ring, I don't want another ring to add to it. To me the engagement ring is part of the romance and when I got married the engagement ring would "become" my wedding ring.

Keyword: romance

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
04-01-2016, 02:43 PM
(04-01-2016 02:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think one ring is enough--but here's my take on it: I would want the engagement ring and I would use that as my wedding ring. Since I want a vintage engagement ring, I don't want another ring to add to it. To me the engagement ring is part of the romance and when I got married the engagement ring would "become" my wedding ring.
So what is the difference, to you, in getting an engagement ring that becomes your wedding ring, rather than just getting a wedding ring that stays your wedding ring?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
04-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Because the De Beers Group has decreed that thou shalt buy........

Fucking pushy Afrikaners anyway.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post