Engagement rings....WHY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 11:59 AM
RE: Engagement rings....WHY?
OP there is no good reason to buy any jewelry ever. It has no function. The engagement ring has its traditional roots, but it is just another functionless item coveted by the masses as a social symbol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2016, 12:04 PM
(06-01-2016 10:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 02:53 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Yep. But even if the diamond tradition were true (or if diamonds actually had value and weren't part of a corrupt monopoly that's terrible on many levels), I still have problems with the concept in general.

Assuming you're dating someone currently, do they share your views about it? If at one point you two desire to get married, and you know she likes the traditional idea of the guy getting her a wedding ring, would it be worth it to protest, or would you just grin and bear it?

I grew up in a tradition where jewelry itself was frowned upon. Many of my friends who got married never exchanged rings at the their weddings. Though most of them wear them. Some of us like the tradition, some of us are somewhat indifferent to it.

I have a cousin whose indifferent to it, but wears a ring regardless, primarily because he travels a lot for work, and he doesn't like the idea of being perceived as a philanderer, as a man trying to hide the fact that he's married. I remember one time forgetting my wedding ring on the way to work and I was worried that folks might think we got a divorced.

I personally like the tradition, but to each his own.
I agree with wedding rings. They are a mutual declaration of a promise and a life choice. That to me does mean something. I just don't agree with engagement rings. My fiance has shown nothing but happiness regardless of not getting a ring on proposal. She usually makes it obvious (like very obvious) when she's not in a good mood, so i think things will be fine.

(06-01-2016 11:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder.....if guys traditionally got motorcycles or sports cars when they got engaged..... I wonder if they'd turn it down. Consider

I doubt it. Tongue
Nobody has said anything about anybody turning down a ring Tongue. It's about expecting one, and the reasons why you expect one. If there were a tradition of getting a car on engagement for guys, should it be a reasonable expectation? "But Joe, Mike, and Alvin got a car, why should I be the only guy whose fiance doesn't get him a car? Don't you want people to know you love me?" Obviously I'm being over-dramatic there. But I dislike both ideas.

(06-01-2016 11:49 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 11:46 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Oh my bad, I thought I saw you say earlier that you would never propose to a guy. Sorry Smile

I would definitely propose to a guy and do something romantic for it too. Heart
Proposing to a guy with a ring is totally cool. That's your idea of a romantic proposal, so do it. My idea of a romantic proposal doesn't involve a ring, so I didn't Tongue. You said earlier that the gift of the ring should mean something from the person who is giving it. And I agree.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
06-01-2016, 12:06 PM
(06-01-2016 11:56 AM)izel Wrote:  Around here engagement rings worth of a price of a house is not a thing, yet... We mostly go for platinum or gold band rings for engagement/marriage.
Just wait a little while until Turkey is the next target demographic for diamond ad campaigns Tongue.

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
06-01-2016, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2016 12:12 PM by jason_delisle.)
(06-01-2016 11:59 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  OP there is no good reason to buy any jewelry ever. It has no function. The engagement ring has its traditional roots, but it is just another functionless item coveted by the masses as a social symbol.
Unless you had a signet ring. That is jewelry that serves a function.
Edit: or a decoder ring?
06-01-2016, 12:30 PM
I would also consider getting a finger tattoo. I think a cool idea would be to have a his and her tattoo. I like the idea of the other person's name in hieroglyphics wrapped around the ring finger--or even just the initial. If you get a divorce, it would be small enough, you could easily turn into something else.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-01-2016, 12:34 PM
(06-01-2016 12:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would also consider getting a finger tattoo. I think a cool idea would be to have a his and her tattoo. I like the idea of the other person's name in hieroglyphics wrapped around the ring finger--or even just the initial. If you get a divorce, it would be small enough, you could easily turn into something else.
Scary Tongue

I don't really like tattoos in general. But tattooing a non-blood name always irks me. Divorce and death are too real to stain my body with a lover's name. "Changing" a tattoo feels like cheating Tongue.

06-01-2016, 12:42 PM
(06-01-2016 12:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 12:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would also consider getting a finger tattoo. I think a cool idea would be to have a his and her tattoo. I like the idea of the other person's name in hieroglyphics wrapped around the ring finger--or even just the initial. If you get a divorce, it would be small enough, you could easily turn into something else.
Scary Tongue

I don't really like tattoos in general. But tattooing a non-blood name always irks me. Divorce and death are too real to stain my body with a lover's name. "Changing" a tattoo feels like cheating Tongue.

I would only change it if I got a divorce. How are you cheating on the other person by changing the tat if you are divorced? It's no different than taking off a wedding band if you are divorced. I wouldn't tattoo a boyfriend's name, but if I married someone I would consider tattooing theirs. One of my ex's had a brother who was a tattooist. They really aren't that hard to cover up if properly done and it's a small one. I understand tats are not for everybody, but I like them. I don't have any yet though--but want to get a few yoga ones.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
06-01-2016, 12:56 PM
(06-01-2016 12:42 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 12:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Scary Tongue

I would only change it if I got a divorce. How are you cheating on the other person by changing the tat if you are divorced? It's no different than taking off a wedding band if you are divorced. I wouldn't tattoo a boyfriend's name, but if I married someone I would consider tattooing theirs. One of my ex's had a brother who was a tattooist. They really aren't that hard to cover up if properly done and it's a small one. I understand tats are not for everybody, but I like them. I don't have any yet though--but want to get a few yoga ones.
Not cheating on the other person, but cheating on tattooage Tongue. It's supposed to be permanent! I mean I can be swayed. Even if I had my past lovers names tattooed on me I might not hate it...because I don't hate them, and I could still honor and cherish the memories and times we shared together. But still, I'm afraid of needles, so no thanks! Haha.

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
06-01-2016, 01:03 PM
(06-01-2016 12:56 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 12:42 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would only change it if I got a divorce. How are you cheating on the other person by changing the tat if you are divorced? It's no different than taking off a wedding band if you are divorced. I wouldn't tattoo a boyfriend's name, but if I married someone I would consider tattooing theirs. One of my ex's had a brother who was a tattooist. They really aren't that hard to cover up if properly done and it's a small one. I understand tats are not for everybody, but I like them. I don't have any yet though--but want to get a few yoga ones.
Not cheating on the other person, but cheating on tattooage Tongue. It's supposed to be permanent! I mean I can be swayed. Even if I had my past lovers names tattooed on me I might not hate it...because I don't hate them, and I could still honor and cherish the memories and times we shared together. But still, I'm afraid of needles, so no thanks! Haha.

Well, I would hope the marriage would be permanent too Wink

06-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Cheating on tattooage lol. I'm also afraid of needles. Luckily you can't see the needle when you get a tattoo. I'm planning on getting a quarter sleeve sometime this year

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post