Engagement rings....WHY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 05:45 PM
RE: Engagement rings....WHY?
(06-01-2016 05:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 05:34 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I stated so many times. Traditionally. Shy Sounds like your situation was not traditionally. I paid for my wedding, all of it.
No. The point was this. My wife to be bought her dress, and hair, and nails, and everything else.....on her credit card. Eventually I had to pay off her debt. Thus, the groom ends up paying for everything anyway. I know this is not always the case. There may be a few instances where it was the other way around.
Dude, that's messed up. And I highly doubt typical in any way, but still, totally terrible (unless you had beforehand agreed that the wedding was to be paid for on credit, knowing that you would take on the debt after marriage).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2016, 05:52 PM
I love jewelry. I am J Crew fan. I like the look of engagement rings with diamonds. So, I bought myself on ebay 5 different rings from China, each for about $5. They look great. I tell my husband: look at my beautiful diamonds. He rolls his eyes.
To answer your question, my husband and I don't care about this kind of stuff. We don't have wedding rings, we don't have engagement rings.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 3 users Like Alla's post
06-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Do what you want to do, not because you're pressured by the culture to do it. Which is easier said than done in this Bridezilla era. lol But if you and your SO want to do it, because you want to do it...there's nothing wrong with it.

Be true to yourself. Heart
06-01-2016, 07:27 PM
(06-01-2016 05:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 05:34 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I stated so many times. Traditionally. Shy Sounds like your situation was not traditionally. I paid for my wedding, all of it.
No. The point was this. My wife to be bought her dress, and hair, and nails, and everything else.....on her credit card. Eventually I had to pay off her debt. Thus, the groom ends up paying for everything anyway. I know this is not always the case. There may be a few instances where it was the other way around.

Okay, this wasn't the case in your marriage, but a lot of wives to be are going to have or continue to have their own incomes. Yes, her debt becomes your debt--and vice versa--but her income also becomes your income. It's not a fair characterization of that kind of situation (both spouses working) as being one where the man's paying for everything.

It's way more the norm nowadays than not that both spouses work and both pay down their debts; it's hardly just a "few instances."
06-01-2016, 07:31 PM
(06-01-2016 07:27 PM)julep Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 05:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  No. The point was this. My wife to be bought her dress, and hair, and nails, and everything else.....on her credit card. Eventually I had to pay off her debt. Thus, the groom ends up paying for everything anyway. I know this is not always the case. There may be a few instances where it was the other way around.

Okay, this wasn't the case in your marriage, but a lot of wives to be are going to have or continue to have their own incomes. Yes, her debt becomes your debt--and vice versa--but her income also becomes your income. It's not a fair characterization of that kind of situation (both spouses working) as being one where the man's paying for everything.

It's way more the norm nowadays than not that both spouses work and both pay down their debts; it's hardly just a "few instances."
Good point. I agree.
06-01-2016, 09:45 PM
(04-01-2016 02:04 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Why? Because your fiancé wants one. (drops mic)

She also wants a car... That seems like a better way to spend 10 grand.

And the romantic aspect of it has been mentioned. It being some symbol that I want to spend the rest of my life with her... I gotta say, though, that if she needs an expensive, useless rock to feel secure, I'm not entirely sure she's the one I want to be spending my life with.

Now, if she convinced me that she doesn't need a ring, I might just have to go get her one... Blush
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
07-01-2016, 05:06 PM
I'm sure glad that I didn't go for the prince albert at my wedding.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
08-01-2016, 07:59 PM
(06-01-2016 01:40 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  The meaning: Some appreciate the sentiment behind it and some do not, subjective to the giver/receiver. Some may worry that the cost is mixed with the feelings and meaning of the ring receiver. I'm curious if the cost were taken out of the equation and not be a factor, what would people really say about the social implication of wearing one or having their SO wear it? How would people feel then?

I wouldn't mind wearing a ring as a symbol of our unbroken love, whether or not we went through with the nuptials.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-01-2016, 10:47 PM
I proposed to my wife a little off the cuff. I didn't have a ring and we went out shopping for one the following weekend. We ended up with something probably a fair bit classier than I would have chosen myself, and a vintage claw ruby affair rather than diamond.

There's something to said for whoever intends to wear a ring having a say in the purchase.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
09-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Speaking of diamonds. Here's a few little gems. Wonder if one or two went missing from that crazy hat she's wearing if anyone would even notice. They'd probably notice the big ol diamond in that stick thing if it disappeared...I think it's the Star of India Diamond.....it's the size of an goddamn egg. Yeah, they'd probably notice that if it turned up empty. Big Grin

[Image: 29220746__419344c.jpg]

Does she even wear that thing anymore?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.