Engagement rings....WHY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 08:58 PM
RE: Engagement rings....WHY?
(09-01-2016 05:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Speaking of diamonds. Here's a few little gems. Wonder if one or two went missing from that crazy hat she's wearing if anyone would even notice. They'd probably notice the big ol diamond in that stick thing if it disappeared...I think it's the Star of India Diamond.....it's the size of an goddamn egg. Yeah, they'd probably notice that if it turned up empty. Big Grin

[Image: 29220746__419344c.jpg]

Does she even wear that thing anymore?

I believe that she wears it for state functions such as the opening of Parliament.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-01-2016, 10:11 AM
I'm not hot on giving diamonds for anything, and I have to concur with the earlier sentiment that if not getting a glittering rock is a deal breaker for someone then avoiding them is a good idea.

(06-01-2016 11:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder.....if guys traditionally got motorcycles or sports cars when they got engaged..... I wonder if they'd turn it down. Consider

I doubt it. Tongue

That's a pretty uneven comparison. Motorcycles and sports cars are actually useful.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
10-01-2016, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 10:36 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
They are pretty and it's fun to follow harmless traditions?

That being said I don't think you should follow them if you don't want to. There is also nothing wrong with shaking it up and doing things differently.

Personally I'd never want my partner to spend that kind of money on diamond jewelry. (Would rather spend it on something fun we'd both enjoy)

But just a regular ring? Or something that makes him think of me? I think it's sweet. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
10-01-2016, 10:50 AM
(10-01-2016 10:11 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'm not hot on giving diamonds for anything, and I have to concur with the earlier sentiment that if not getting a glittering rock is a deal breaker for someone then avoiding them is a good idea.

(06-01-2016 11:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder.....if guys traditionally got motorcycles or sports cars when they got engaged..... I wonder if they'd turn it down. Consider

I doubt it. Tongue

That's a pretty uneven comparison. Motorcycles and sports cars are actually useful.

Aesthetically beautiful things have their own use. A beautiful painting, photograph, a wonderfully designed necklace are calming and easy on the eye. If you surround your life with entirely useful objects your life is probably rather stark and austere. Might as well be a goddamn monk.

The thing is people everywhere on this earth have decorated themselves going back 10 thousand years and way beyond that and most of it is totally useless. Tattoos have no use, purposely creating scars on the skin have no use, feather headdresses are useless. It's all unnecessary stuff but humans love painting their skin and doing crazy things to their hair and wearing sparkly, shiney stuff even if it has no monetary value beyond looking nice against the skin or reflecting light. Little trifles given to someone as a gift, even if it's an inexpensive ring or bauble, simply makes life more fun and enjoyable and after all you only live once.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-01-2016, 01:09 PM
(10-01-2016 10:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-01-2016 10:11 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'm not hot on giving diamonds for anything, and I have to concur with the earlier sentiment that if not getting a glittering rock is a deal breaker for someone then avoiding them is a good idea.

Aesthetically beautiful things have their own use. A beautiful painting, photograph, a wonderfully designed necklace are calming and easy on the eye. If you surround your life with entirely useful objects your life is probably rather stark and austere. Might as well be a goddamn monk.

The thing is people everywhere on this earth have decorated themselves going back 10 thousand years and way beyond that and most of it is totally useless. Tattoos have no use, purposely creating scars on the skin have no use, feather headdresses are useless. It's all unnecessary stuff but humans love painting their skin and doing crazy things to their hair and wearing sparkly, shiney stuff even if it has no monetary value beyond looking nice against the skin or reflecting light. Little trifles given to someone as a gift, even if it's an inexpensive ring or bauble, simply makes life more fun and enjoyable and after all you only live once.

Not to mention that hardly any man would buy a fugly motorcycle or car. Aesthetics are important even for them.
And I doubt sports cars specifically are actually useful. Unless you're a professional driver.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
10-01-2016, 06:03 PM
(10-01-2016 10:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Aesthetically beautiful things have their own use. A beautiful painting, photograph, a wonderfully designed necklace are calming and easy on the eye. If you surround your life with entirely useful objects your life is probably rather stark and austere. Might as well be a goddamn monk.

dances is right on the money. If "usefulness" were a necessary criteria, I would have three guns -- a shotgun, a rifle and one handgun -- instead of close to 100. We would have no paintings on our walls and no sculptures in our entry way. Art would be non-existent. Most important, this is not about the guy who would give the diamond. Fuck him. It is about the woman who might want the diamond and her wishes govern the decision, or at least they should.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
10-01-2016, 07:34 PM
(10-01-2016 06:03 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Most important, this is not about the guy who would give the diamond. Fuck him. It is about the woman who might want the diamond and her wishes govern the decision, or at least they should.
Why? Why are her wishes more important than his?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
10-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Like I told a young man once who'd announced his engagement to me.

"Look, just buy a house and a car. Give her the keys and save yourself 15 years".

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
10-01-2016, 09:12 PM
(10-01-2016 07:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(10-01-2016 06:03 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Most important, this is not about the guy who would give the diamond. Fuck him. It is about the woman who might want the diamond and her wishes govern the decision, or at least they should.
Why? Why are her wishes more important than his?

Why are his more important than hers? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
10-01-2016, 09:14 PM
(10-01-2016 09:12 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(10-01-2016 07:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Why? Why are her wishes more important than his?

Why are his more important than hers? Tongue

Because he had to pay for the shit.

Marriage is just a really bad form of prostitution.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.