Engagement rings....WHY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2016, 07:50 PM
RE: Engagement rings....WHY?
I like how a thread about engagement rings devolved into cheating rants haha.

In any case, in regards to the OP, since I just got engaged a little less than a month ago I feel I should weigh in. I have mixed feelings on engagement rings. I think my biggest qualm with them is the diamonds though, not necessarily the price. I agree that a relationship should be equal, and hence I offered to buy my fiancé his wedding band, however he already has 2 perfectly good platinum ones that he bought a long time ago, so he said there'd be no need. I do plan on buying my own wedding band though (these big rocks move around on my finger too much, need a little more mass to help keep it in place). I can't help but feel guilty that he spent so much on me when neither of us are really all that into "marriage" being atheists and all (and especially since I don't love diamonds). I guess he just wanted me to have something traditional and sparkly to show off to friends. He knew I would've preferred an emerald (birthstone) but said he wanted something that would "match" everything. And since he paid for it I guess it's his choice? I would have MUCH preferred he brought engagement up before surprising me with it though and we could pick out rings together (and split costs!). I honestly think coming to an agreement beforehand about what to do and buy though and then sharing costs is the most desirable outcome. I would have happily paid half the cost of my ideal ring, little too late now though. Undecided

Anyways, in a nutshell, talking in advance and compromising I think is always the best COA.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like MustangManda's post
14-01-2016, 07:53 PM
(14-01-2016 07:50 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  I like how a thread about engagement rings devolved into cheating rants haha.

In any case, in regards to the OP, since I just got engaged a little less than a month ago I feel I should weigh in. I have mixed feelings on engagement rings. I think my biggest qualm with them is the diamonds though, not necessarily the price. I agree that a relationship should be equal, and hence I offered to buy my fiancé his wedding band, however he already has 2 perfectly good platinum ones that he bought a long time ago, so he said there'd be no need. I do plan on buying my own wedding band though (these big rocks move around on my finger too much, need a little more mass to help keep it in place). I can't help but feel guilty that he spent so much on me when neither of us are really all that into "marriage" being atheists and all (and especially since I don't love diamonds). I guess he just wanted me to have something traditional and sparkly to show off to friends. He knew I would've preferred an emerald (birthstone) but said he wanted something that would "match" everything. And since he paid for it I guess it's his choice? I would have MUCH preferred he brought engagement up before surprising me with it though and we could pick out rings together (and split costs!). I honestly think coming to an agreement beforehand about what to do and buy though and then sharing costs is the most desirable outcome. I would have happily paid half the cost of my ideal ring, little too late now though. Undecided

Anyways, in a nutshell, talking in advance and compromising I think is always the best COA.

Congrats on your engagement! Heart
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-01-2016, 07:55 PM
(14-01-2016 07:50 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  I like how a thread about engagement rings devolved into cheating rants haha.

Well that's why this place is fun. We are not like sheep like xians. We can agree to disagree. Smile

I love Jenny. But we have different experiences. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
14-01-2016, 08:32 PM
(14-01-2016 07:55 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

Well that's why this place is fun. We are not like sheep like xians. We can agree to disagree. Smile

I love Jenny. But we have different experiences. Smile

I think you're pretty cool too Heart But I'm still right Tongue Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-01-2016, 08:41 PM
(13-01-2016 06:33 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 11:05 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Yes, everything bolded is excessive. But when money is off the table as the limiting factor, then not getting the ring is just a principle that the man is holding. And if he refuses to compromise (when it's something that she really wants), then it boils down to him pushing his values onto her and her being forced to accept it.

She sounds like the type that will divorce and sue him for everything he's got.

Oh and men, take it from a more than 2 decade touring road dog. Women cheat all the time. Far more than men. I have literally seen it 1000's of times.

So beware.

Not possible. I have proven it because for every man with a woman that isn't his there is a woman who is with a man who isn't hers so it is half and half precisely, unless you wish to factor in gay relationships for people in a hetero marriage,
14-01-2016, 08:51 PM

Very cool! I love it! When we got engaged I went more the route of what you said is the desirable outcome Smile. Although not exactly your scenario.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
14-01-2016, 09:25 PM
(14-01-2016 08:41 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Not possible. I have proven it because for every man with a woman that isn't his there is a woman who is with a man who isn't hers so it is half and half precisely, unless you wish to factor in gay relationships for people in a hetero marriage,

No

Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-01-2016, 05:51 PM
I like this article.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/10/pass...ment-ring/

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.