Engineer Shot Dead in Olathe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 11:02 AM
RE: Engineer Shot Dead in Olathe
Oh, I totally believe you, Shai Hulud. I mean, I didn’t quite believe it when I heard it with my own two ears, but now – sadly – I do. How do you even reply to such an inherently wrong and, frankly, asinine thing? So, you see two guys fight and, apparently, it’s perfectly okay to pull out a machine gun and mow them down? And murder and genocide are only bad if you murder blond-haired 4-year-old angels, who've never even thrown a tantrum in their blameless lives. WTF? Facepalm

Funny (well, not really ;-)) thing is, I, too, hadn’t really met many non-white people before I went to Brazil. And then I went to Brazil and it was glorious, being in such a diverse society where there was no such thing as “pure” anything, just a glorious mixture of races (yeah, I know there really isn’t such a thing as race, not scientifically anyway) and cultures, and usually you had no way of knowing what a person had in their background (nor did you – well, I – care). That’s one of the things I miss the most about Brazil (and hopefully won’t be nearly as disappointed as I might be when I go there again next week, yay Blush )

Cactus, you'd think so, wouldn't you? And it really is the best way to remedy it. And yet, again in Brazil, there was this American guy (for the record, there were also some wonderful American people, who even spoke Portuguese), who completely seriously (and obliviously) told us (a bunch of folk from Europe, Australia, New Zealand and a couple Americans), in the middle of freaking Rio, how he was surprised how many foreigners there were in the volunteer programme. To his mind-numbingly closed mind, even in the middle of another freaking continent, among a bunch of folk from all over the freaking world, there were two types of people: us* and the rest of them foreigners Facepalm

* Never before had I realised just how appropriate an acronym the US is Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
24-02-2017, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2017 12:22 PM by kim.)
Kansas. Dodgy Why'd it have to be Kansas?
Again!

Great! This is now what makes us famous all over the world: ignorant maniacs.

This is what my UK friends get to think when I say I might have a drink with friends at a local night spot.

Jesusfuckingfuck! No

I want to go back to being known for tornados, Munchkins, flying monkeys and the world's largest ball of twine. Angry

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Kimmie, not sure how to break this to you or whether it's supposed to make you feel better or worse, but, to be fair, I don't think us, foreign types, really pay as much attention to which state something happens in/someone comes from, as you guys seem to think. It's basically: yet another shootin' in 'Mericaland to us Blush

[Image: 26e.jpg_large]

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=12039&am...1139659104]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Vera's post
24-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Anheuser Busch 's Superbowl advertising started a shitstorm of people calling for a boycott of Anheuser Busch products. The reaction was to the advertisements that pointed out that both founders of Anheuser-Busch were immigrants to the US. Somehow the rednecks missed the part about Anheuser-and Busch being white Europeans, and I assume CHristian.
24-02-2017, 02:05 PM
(24-02-2017 01:27 PM)Bubba Wrote:  Anheuser Busch 's Superbowl advertising started a shitstorm of people calling for a boycott of Anheuser Busch products. The reaction was to the advertisements that pointed out that both founders of Anheuser-Busch were immigrants to the US. Somehow the rednecks missed the part about Anheuser-and Busch being white Europeans, and I assume CHristian.

Stupid should burn like a bitch.

[Image: 1vB0YQQ.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
24-02-2017, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2017 02:15 PM by TheGulegon.)
(24-02-2017 12:19 PM)kim Wrote:  Kansas. Dodgy Why'd it have to be Kansas?
Again!

This is what my UK friends get to think when I say I might have a drink with friends at a local night spot.

Jesusfuckingfuck! No

I want to go back to being known for tornados, Munchkins, flying monkeys and the world's largest ball of twine. Angry

Missouri no longer requires a permit or training, to conceal carry, either. Confused At least I don't think so.

I gather much of the stuff I scrap, or resell, from the Olathe/Lenexa/Overland Park region, right across the state line. Most folks over there come across as having their noses permanently stuck in the air, but never have I come across any overtly racist cunts. I do look like a w.a.s.p., tho Dodgy

We may have to be ever watchful! Just cuz these fuckers are aiming at the 'darkies', doesn't mean they can't miss in our direction. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
24-02-2017, 02:36 PM
(24-02-2017 12:19 PM)kim Wrote:  Great! This is now what makes us famous all over the world: ignorant maniacs.

You're not the only one falling victim to the extreme right unleashed. Europe is full of shitstains like that. Already in power in Hungary and Poland, in danger of taking over in other countries.

I blame that on the war generation dying out. People have a short memory, obviously and when there's noone left to remind them what fundamental shitheads the extreme right actually are, they fall again for the pied pipers. As if they were solving anything.

Also, even if that makes me a cynic, people love to hate. If someone presents them with targets for their hatred they jump at the chance. Every sordid loser can feel like a hero if there's a flag to be waved or an other to be attacked.
[+] 5 users Like abaris's post
24-02-2017, 03:31 PM
(24-02-2017 09:14 AM)tomilay Wrote:  This is terrorism IMO.

Of course it is, but don't count on many media organisations to refer to it as such.
24-02-2017, 08:27 PM
(24-02-2017 12:19 PM)kim Wrote:  Kansas. Dodgy Why'd it have to be Kansas?
Again!

You know why it is, Kim.

Hyper-conservative Johnson County (for the others: JoCo contains Olathe and several other wealthy suburbs of Kansas City) is the third-wealthiest county in the nation, overwhelmingly fundamentalist Christian, and is a "white flight haven" for the city that is otherwise quite diverse.

When I went to see (and protest) Ann Coulter coming to speak at KU's Lied Center, I walked around the parking lot and saw that the "JO" symbol for Johnson County, the next county over (from Douglas, where KU is located) was on almost literally every car in the (very full) parking lot.

And by car, I mean "big truck or SUV", which also made up about 99% of the vehicle types in the lot. Undecided

Edit to Add: My wife's family is in the next suburb (Gardner) up the highway from Olathe. I hate going to visit their area.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-02-2017, 08:35 PM
(24-02-2017 10:49 AM)cactus Wrote:  This type of mindset is cultivated by a lack of exposure to other people. The remedy would be pretty simple, if people actually enjoyed exposing themselves to other world views

Fortunately the present occupant of the White House takes great pleasure in exposing himself globally ---

Thanks to Mike Lukovich for the Trump image

[Image: 24gn7no.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like Airportkid's post