Engineer Shot Dead in Olathe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2017, 08:56 PM
RE: Engineer Shot Dead in Olathe
I had to write a practice ethnography proposal for college a few years ago, and the subject I chose to focus on was the negative social and economic effects of Indoamericans being confused with Arab Muslims. It might be an interesting read for members here in light of the shooting.

http://historum.com/blogs/ghostexorcist/...posal.html

Skip over the "Connection to previous scholarship" and "Methodology" sections if you aren't interested in the nuts and bolts of the proposed study. Here's the abstract:

Quote:The election of Nina Davuluri (Miss New York), an Indoamerican woman, as Miss America 2014 resulted in racist comments on twitter conflating her with the Arab Muslim extremists who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks. This present work takes a multisite approach to study two communities; one is the longstanding Indoamerican community in the heart of New York City, the other is a small but fast growing Indian immigrant population in an area outside of Washington, D.C. The focus is to see how both communities experience and deal with the negative social and economic effects brought on by such conflation. For the Indoamerican community, I focus on the negotiation of their salient Indian and American identities, how they create respect in an environment of no respect, and how they handle said discrimination. For the Indian immigrant community, I focus on the negative economic effects of being conflated with Muslims, how they negotiate the power differential, and, again, how they deal with discrimination. I also touch on the factors that cause white Americans to conflate one ethnic group with another. I show it is the isolation from the outside world that causes Americans to rely on phenotype and stereotypes to conflate Asian Indians with Arab Muslims.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Also, even if that makes me a cynic, people love to hate. If someone presents them with targets for their hatred they jump at the chance. Every sordid loser can feel like a hero if there's a flag to be waved or an other to be attacked.

Ding, ding, ding!

Especially in the digital age, when people can fill their FB or twitter feed with every like-minded, hate-filled garbage media source.

365, 24/7 reinforcement for their hatred.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
26-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Quote:An Olathe man who reportedly told two strangers — Garmin engineers originally from India — to “get out of my country” before he shot them in an Olathe bar was charged Thursday with first-degree murder in the death of one of the victims.

I'm assuming, then, that the shooter in this case is a descendant of one of the aboriginal inhabitants of North America whose land and liberty and lives were robbed from them by English, Dutch, French and Spanish settlers.

Just kidding. Psychotic pinheads who've gone postal don't do irony. [I hope this one gets life without parole and has several decades of quiet me-time to ponder the question of whom North America may or may not belong to.]
26-02-2017, 07:58 AM
(26-02-2017 07:47 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  [I hope this one gets life without parole and has several decades of quiet me-time to ponder the question of whom North America may or may not belong to.]

Or he joins the Arian nation to stew in his already existing bubble of being superior.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
26-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Note to self: never consider visiting the US... EVER!!!!!

The more one asserts their own unquestioned preconceived beliefs, the more demanding I will be for empirical evidence for I will accept nothing else in place of it
26-02-2017, 02:06 PM
(26-02-2017 01:37 PM)Ace Wrote:  Note to self: never consider visiting the US... EVER!!!!!

Tis not all fuckheads. Some very nice people live over there Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-02-2017, 02:10 PM
(24-02-2017 02:36 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 12:19 PM)kim Wrote:  Great! This is now what makes us famous all over the world: ignorant maniacs.

You're not the only one falling victim to the extreme right unleashed. Europe is full of shitstains like that. Already in power in Hungary and Poland, in danger of taking over in other countries.

I blame that on the war generation dying out. People have a short memory, obviously and when there's noone left to remind them what fundamental shitheads the extreme right actually are, they fall again for the pied pipers. As if they were solving anything.

Also, even if that makes me a cynic, people love to hate. If someone presents them with targets for their hatred they jump at the chance. Every sordid loser can feel like a hero if there's a flag to be waved or an other to be attacked.

Years of indoctrination under Soviet friendly regimes also have something to do with it - all that demagogues have to do now is reverse the direction, minds are already accustomed to brainwashing. Also "communists" in Poland played the nationalist theme so it is nothing new in that particular case, it's other countries that are more of a mystery.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-02-2017, 02:13 PM
(26-02-2017 02:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Also "communists" in Poland played the nationalist theme so it is nothing new in that particular case, it's other countries that are more of a mystery.

I'm well aware. Why would other countries be a mystery. Do you think there weren't any nationalistic tales to be spun?
26-02-2017, 02:19 PM
(26-02-2017 02:13 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 02:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Also "communists" in Poland played the nationalist theme so it is nothing new in that particular case, it's other countries that are more of a mystery.

I'm well aware. Why would other countries be a mystery. Do you think there weren't any nationalistic tales to be spun?

I wanted to write that case of other countries is more mysterious than Poland one, not mysterious in general. Perhaps "communism" got national spin in other countries of Soviet bloc too but I didn't read too much about it so I can't really say that. I'm aware of Russia case but that's all that I could state with conviction. I can only suspect that internationalism wasn't hot stuff in rest of the bloc.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-02-2017, 02:21 PM
(26-02-2017 02:19 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I wanted to write that case of other countries is more mysterious than Poland one, not mysterious in general. Perhaps "communism" got national spin in other countries of Soviet bloc too but I didn't read too much about it so I can't really say that. I'm aware of Russia case but that's all that I could state with conviction. I can only suspect that internationalism wasn't hot stuff in rest of the bloc.

It's got nothing to do with the communist block. It's got everything to do with nationalist legends. In my country that of being Hitler's first victim. In other countries something different. There's always a legend to be spun and a flag to rally behind.