England World Cup Squad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 09:13 PM by Hughsie.)
England World Cup Squad
I know practically no-one else here cares about football (actual football that is, not crappy American played-with-the-hands-ball) but I'm gonna make this thread anyway. If nothing else it will be interesting for me.

The 2014 world cup is this summer and there's a lot of talk over here about which 23 players (and 7 standbys) should be named in our world cup squad (England's that is), here is my take on which players should go;

Goalkeepers
Joe Hart: Clearly the right choice to be number one, no question on his place.
Fraser Forster: Has been brilliant for Celtic for the past couple of years and has even attracted interest from Barcelona, should be the back-up for Hart.
John Ruddy: Been very good at premier league level for the past couple of years, a worthy third choice.

Defenders
Glen Johnson: Good both attacking and defending, should be our first choice right back.
Kyle Walker: A very good attacking full-back and a worth understudy for Johnson.
Leighton Baines: A brilliant left back and a clear first choice for the team.
Ashley Cole: His experience in the squad will be useful though this should be his last tournament as his age is starting to catch up with him.
Phil Jagielka: A solid centre back who should be a first choice in the team.
Gary Cahill: Another solid centre back and a worth partner for Jagielka.
Phil Jones: A very good young centre back who can bring a lot to the team and will grow from the experience. Needs to be used at centre back as opposed to right back though.
Joleon Lescott: Only been a bit part player at club level recently but still a top class player who can bring valuable defensive skills and experience to the team.

Midfielders
Steven Gerrard: An obvious choice to be the first name on the team sheet, a talismanic captain who keeps England ticking.
Michael Carrick: A experience player who adds composure and a good range of passing to the holding midfield role.
James Milner: Experienced, versatile, and hard-working. He can play anywhere in midfield and never stops running, should be a clear choice to go.
Jack Wilshere: Young and talented he can play either deeper or behind the forwards and brings invention to the team.
Adam Lallana: A clever player who can provide real spark in attack.
Ross Barkley: A very good midfielder who can unlock defenses and may be a bit of an unknown for opposition teams.
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Very direct and uses this to get at teams and cause them issues to great effect.
Raheem Sterling: Has had a fantastic few months at Liverpool and has finally begun to add end product to his pace and trickery. If he maintains his form from now until when the squad is announced he has earned his place.

Forwards
Wayne Rooney: England's star player. He will be needed up front.
Daniel Sturridge: The best goalscorer England have.
Danny Welbeck: Despite being average for Man Utd he always perform well in an England shirt and his pace causes problems for defenders. Can also play on the flanks.
Rickie Lambert: What he lacks in pace he makes up for in intelligence and creativity. His ability to drop deeper and link the midfield and attack, along with his physical presence and set-pieces, can provide England with a different option up front.

On Standby
Ben Foster: A talented keeper who can do a good job if called upon.
Steven Caulker: Young and inexperienced but talented enough to a job if needed.
Luke Shaw: Almost made my squad and is England's long term future at left back. Should be bedded in as understudy to Baines after the world cup.
Gareth Barry: Experienced and brings balance and composure to the team, should be an instant pick if Carrick picks up an injury.
Jordan Henderson: Has had a brilliant season at Liverpool and adds real energy to the midfield.
Andros Townsend: Had a brilliant England debut last year but has had an injury and fallen out of the team at club level. For me, one good performance isn't enough to make the squad but he is a capable standby.
Jermain Defoe: Experienced and a really dangerous striker. Has struggled to hit the heights of his earlier career over the last couple of seasons but still a good player.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
08-03-2014, 09:36 AM
RE: England World Cup Squad
Football... A game for pussies!

Rugby... Now that's a MAN's game.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Why are you talking about the world cup, it's not till next year...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
15-03-2014, 09:38 AM
(08-03-2014 09:36 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  ...

Don't. I'm still heart broken over the 6 nations.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-03-2014, 09:46 AM
I would agree with most of your selections though I would have Theo Walcott as standby.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
15-03-2014, 09:48 AM
(15-03-2014 09:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 09:36 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  ...

Don't. I'm still heart broken over the 6 nations.

I'm just waiting for the Ireland game. It's been a long time since we won in Paris but you never know.

[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
17-03-2014, 01:09 PM
(15-03-2014 09:46 AM)Marozz Wrote:  I would agree with most of your selections though I would have Theo Walcott as standby.

I didn't include Walcott for consideration because of his injury. If he were fit I would have him instead of Welbeck (I think he's better upfront than out wide), and Welbeck would be on my standby list instead of Defoe.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
17-03-2014, 02:49 PM
(17-03-2014 01:09 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 09:46 AM)Marozz Wrote:  I would agree with most of your selections though I would have Theo Walcott as standby.

I didn't include Walcott for consideration because of his injury. If he were fit I would have him instead of Welbeck (I think he's better upfront than out wide), and Welbeck would be on my standby list instead of Defoe.

On paper it's a good team, but is it not a worry that the main man, Rooney, has never played well in major tournaments (imo).

The experience of the likes of Lampard and Terry will surely be missed. How do you rate England's chances? It's the first time that there's no hype surrounding the team, the English fans don't seem too confident about winning the cup. I haven't heard any mention of 1966, not yet at any rate.

17-03-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm sure England will do very well at the world cup. Right up until they have a penalty shoot out.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
17-03-2014, 09:13 PM
(17-03-2014 02:49 PM)Marozz Wrote:  On paper it's a good team, but is it not a worry that the main man, Rooney, has never played well in major tournaments (imo).

The experience of the likes of Lampard and Terry will surely be missed. How do you rate England's chances? It's the first time that there's no hype surrounding the team, the English fans don't seem too confident about winning the cup. I haven't heard any mention of 1966, not yet at any rate.

Erm, in a way Rooney could be a worry but I'm not hugely concerned about whether he can do it. My concern is more that England will do what England always do and try and put their eleven biggest names on the pitch instead of their strongest team.

Accommodating Rooney and Sturridge up front as well as a strong midfield will be difficult. Either we will have to sacrifice our width, drop one of them, or play one of them out wide. I'm concerned that England will pick Sturridge because of his goal tally but then put him on the left flank which is completely stupid as he won't get goals from out there. I think we should play narrow and have Rooney and Sturridge playing up front together, Rooney can drop slightly deeper while Sturridge stays on the shoulder of the last defender. Then we can have a four man midfield of people like Gerrard, Carrick, Wilshere, and Lallana which mostly stays narrow and looks to dictate play and control possession. That's why my squad contains so many central players and the wide players (Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain) are both players who can also play centrally.

We won't do any of that though because generally England play football that suits the 90's, our approach is 20 years outdated and we've never had a manager who's realised. I also think that there must be some sort of financial rewards (perhaps in the way of sponsorships or something) for playing the bigger name players. That's the only reason I can see that successive managers have resolutely played under-performing but established has-beens over talented but lesser known players for as long as I remember.

As for our chances, we won't make it beyond the group stage, I can't see us getting past either Italy or Uruguay. I'm not hugely bothered though, I've become disillusioned enough with England's approach by now that I just accept that we don't have the right approach to succeed. All you need to do is look at teams like Spain and Belgium and how they have adapted their approach and revolutionised the game, then compare it to our determination to keep doing what is clearly not working and will not work to become fed up with it. English football is far too based on physical ability instead of technical ability, that is why we don't ever do well. The rest of the world has realised that it doesn't matter if you are the strongest and fastest team in the world, if you don't have the ability to gain and keep possession it's all for nothing. They've adapted their games to that philosophy whilst we have struggled on playing outdated football. Look at our defeat on penalties to Italy at Euro 2012. It was a miracle we made it as far as extra time, we were dominated by a team who did everything but score. The stat that most jumped out to me was that Pirlo had more passes for Italy than the entire England midfield. I said at the start of the game that Pirlo would be our undoing, I said we should have played Gerrard high up the pitch just so he could stay near Pirlo and stop him from dictating play. Instead we ignored the battle for possession in midfield in favour of doing our own thing and got mauled as a result. I hoped at the time that lessons would be learned but the fact that Sturridge started out wide against Denmark makes me thing that we are still gonna keep going with our stone-age approach.

What is needed for England to succeed is a complete overhaul at youth level (which has begun to be fair). Young players need to play on small pitches and refine their control and passing ability above all else, as opposed to their speed and strength. There also needs to be a better quality of coaching at youth level. We also need to export more players. When you look at most successful international squads many of the players in them play outside of their home countries. By going abroad (especially when young) these players get to sample different footballing cultures and have more opportunities than those who only look within one country. By contrast hardly any English players ever go and play abroad. But instead of taking my approach the world of English football seems to be insisting that trying to introduce quotas on the import of foreign players will fix everything. It will solve nothing, all that will happen is clubs will be forced to play sub-standard English players who won't suddenly develop talent by playing at a level they aren't good enough for. If the youth players are good enough to play at Premiership level they will get a chance, it's that simple. If Barcelona had bought in foreign players instead of giving Messi a chance to shine he wouldn't have faded into obscurity, he would have gone to a smaller club (maybe in a lower division, maybe not), set the world alight there, and been back at a top club by the time he was 22.

Anyway, that's my rant done for now. Let's hope someone from the top echelons of the FA is reading this. Big Grin

Best
Worst
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post