English Mistakes that Annoy Me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2012, 07:46 AM
I use words that only appear in a particular dialect of English, I can't use commas correctly to save my life, and I make my fair share of mistakes, but some things just irk me. Feel free to share your pet peeves as well. I will probably add more as I encounter them.

1. Neanderthal/Neandertal. If you are a German you can use the last spelling as they officially changed the spelling of 'valley' in the early twentieth century, but if you're British, or your country is formerly of the British empire is should be the former. The thing that really bugs me is its pronunciation though. The th in Neanderthal is supposed to be said like a 't', the 'h' is the child of the word and should be seen, but not heard. People have been fucking it up so often that it's considered acceptable in many dictionaries, but it makes no goddamn since! The word comes from Neander, which is the name of the second person to discover their remains in modern times, and thal (now tal in German) meaning valley. Never was valley ever pronounced with the 'th sound'.
  2. Often. I do a complete reversal from the above scenario. It is officially pronounced without the 't' sound in most, if not all reputable dictionaries, however this doesn't stop most people I encounter from saying the word with the t sound loud and proud. It's all over TV as well. Now actually, if you go back far enough people are saying in its original pronunciation, but of course I don't like it. I like 'the middle' pronunciation for no good damn reason, I think it's just personal preference. Although the dictionary supports me here, I really don't care for dictionaries anyway. They try to box in a language, and I don't like it.
  3. Nauseous/Nauseated. People tend to use these interchangeably, but they do NOT mean the same thing. They are related words, with very different meanings. If you are nauseous you are causing nausea. If you are nauseated, then something that is nauseous has inflicted you with nausea.
That's all for now...I'll be back though.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2012, 07:49 AM
RE: English Mistakes that Annoy Me.
I think you should lighten up a bit if that annoys you. Big Grin

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
22-12-2012, 08:58 AM
(22-12-2012 07:46 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...but it makes no goddamn since!
Beat_stick

But I understand how some thing are just annoying, like people pronouncing "etc" like "eggsedderah". There is no "g", "k", "c" where you say it, it's wrong! It is "Et cetera. So english pronounciation is "Et seterah" and if you wanna sound smart you may pronounce latin "Et keterah". Thanks for the attention.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
22-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Mine, which I griped about in another thread, is people using simplistic as a compliment. It is not. Quit trying to sound smarter by using longer words.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
22-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Misuse of the word 'of' !!! Angry It's "could HAVE" "should HAVE" "would HAVE" Not 'of'!

I also hate "waiting on" when it should be "waiting FOR." And "fixin' to" go do something.

My disclaimer, however, is that if someone was brought up in the English language, I have no patience for errors.....

.....And yet I have infinite patience for English mistakes made by non-native English speakers...and often find it endearing. Yes, I'm unapologetically biased about that. Blush

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
22-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm with you on the nauseous/nauseated thing... but, I think it's actually, as of now, grammatically correct to use either interchangeably.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the rule got taken away.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
22-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Some for me:

People who use objective and subjective case wrong:
ex:
"her and I"
These are the people that think "and I" is always correct no matter what and refuse to use the word "me".

Affect/effect

Subject/verb agreement

"mute" point

"rediculous"

Those are ones off the top of my head.

Oh wait... that sentence made me remember another one...

"off of"

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
22-12-2012, 09:33 AM
(22-12-2012 09:17 AM)Percepticon Wrote:  .....And yet I have infinite patience for English mistakes made by non-native English speakers...and often find it endearing. Yes, I'm unapologetically biased about that. Blush
I wouldn't even call it biased. I mean, someone has actually taken the time and put in the (considerable) effort of learning your (general "you":)) language, how many English speakers can claim the same?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
22-12-2012, 10:20 AM
English mistakes that annoy me:
Taxation without Representation
Arrests without warrants
Illegal search and seizure
Paying the Natives to attack settlements
Killing William Wallace
Hughsie

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 10 users Like Erxomai's post
22-12-2012, 11:42 AM
(22-12-2012 09:30 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Some for me:

People who use objective and subjective case wrong:
ex:
"her and I"
These are the people that think "and I" is always correct no matter what and refuse to use the word "me".

Affect/effect

Subject/verb agreement

"mute" point

"rediculous"

Those are ones off the top of my head.

Oh wait... that sentence made me remember another one...

"off of"
Did you mebbe forget labour, honour, theatre, spectre....and the like? Tongue

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
[+] 2 users Like Percepticon's post